U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 01:04 PM

5 posts, read 19,396 times

Advertisements

My husband and I r considering moving to Fallon the only problem is he is in construction is there any building going on there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 02:18 PM

31 posts, read 70,217 times
Not so much. I live in Fallon and had to go to San Diego for my construction job. Couldn't get me to move there though. Where are you moving from? Do want to move to Fallon in particular or just Northern Nevada? The industry that's booming here now is mining, with a certain type of construction background that would be the job to pursue.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:17 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,501,395 times
No building going on ANYWHERE for that matter....maybe in Vegas but, I dont think that is thriving either job wise

I know they are going to start sending American builders to Haiti may want to look into that.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:55 AM

No, that was a local 'cluster' of cases that happened in Fallon a few years back. It wasn't that a large number of children were getting sick, just an unusual amount with that particular illness, 14 or 15 I believe. There was a similar cluster near where I used to live in SoCal. They have yet to find a definite caouse for it, if any. We'll probably never know for sure.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,688 times
son is going to Fallon for a TDY soon. they are being told that the locals aren't very military friendly and particularly don't like anyone of "color". Is this true?

Old 04-17-2010, 06:42 AM

1,016 posts, read 1,501,395 times
If that IS true...Shame on Fallon...

Old 05-03-2010, 12:24 PM

Not that I'm aware of. Who are 'they'? Many of my friends are retired military who liked the area well enough to stay after their time was up. I think the only issue is that some military personnel come from larger urban areas and this is essentialy still a small farming community. There can be misperception on both sides, but it is a problem with individual attitudes rather than towards the military in general. The demographics of this area just don't contain the diversity you find in urban areas, like all rural areas. The military is a welcome contributor to our community and we are happy to have them here.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:52 PM

2,014 posts, read 4,830,459 times
Quote:
they are being told that the locals aren't very military friendly and particularly don't like anyone of "color". Is this true?
People of color? rural Nevada? Rednecks abound and Nevada certainly has its share, but, if you are black, and a real person, not some urban wannabe, but a down to earth real person, you will get along just fine, but if you carry some sort of urban baggage, or a chip on your shoulder... not so good.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:55 PM

6 posts, read 10,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
what is your idea of lots of shopping? the walmart and safeway? theres not much else and yes other people from other towns come here to shop because there is no where else to go. they come from hawethorn which we all know has only a safeway, and they come from lovelock and yerington, gabbs cause there is nothing in those towns.
Patently untrue.

Yerington may not have a Wal-Mart or anything, but it's Scolaris is at least as good as any Safeway. Besides groceries, our Scolaris has a full deli, a bakery, and a pharmacy (which, by the way, is not the only one in town).

Most people do go to town (which is usually Carson City or Reno, not Fallon) for most other things, but there are a few shops where you can buy clothes if you don't feel like going or need something quick, as well as most other basic needs.

We don't have much, but to say we have "nothing" is a bit more than a stretch. We're at least as well equipped as Hawthorne, probably more so because we're fairly isolated, and need to be more self-sufficient.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 579 times
I am an african American/indian mix woman moving to Fallon for work in a few weeks. I currently live in Las Vegas, and Im sure it will be a culture shock for me. My question is being a christian, what is the church-life like in Fallon?? Also, I have a tednaged daughter who will be starting high school. What kind if diversity is there at Churchill HS? Will she feel like an outcast??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada