U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 12:27 PM

10,869 posts, read 14,197,628 times

Advertisements

I've lived in countries that have no taxes whatsoever. The only thing these countries produce is refugees.

Part of living in a republic means paying for things you don't want and don't need. Part of living in a decent republic is not whinging on about the bill. It has been my experience that the expensive parts of the world are expensive for good reason -- it's worth it.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:29 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,704,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Different states run on different philosophies. Nevada is low taxes, limited services. There's nothing wrong with this, especially since, if you're In LV, you can move 45 minutes away, and be in a state with high taxes and high services. People can just pick what they want.

Living in one of the highest tax, high service states and cities, I think NV's method works better. You obviously don't. Apparently both of us should move.
Just curious what you are considering "limited services"???

My mind is blank right now.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:41 PM

5,314 posts, read 6,283,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I've lived in countries that have no taxes whatsoever. The only thing these countries produce is refugees.

Part of living in a republic means paying for things you don't want and don't need. Part of living in a decent republic is not whinging on about the bill. It has been my experience that the expensive parts of the world are expensive for good reason -- it's worth it.
It doesn't mean overpaying and having the money wasted, though.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:23 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,430,547 times
Quote:
Different states run on different philosophies. Nevada is low taxes, limited services. There's nothing wrong with this, especially since, if you're In LV, you can move 45 minutes away, and be in a state with high taxes and high services. People can just pick what they want.

Living in one of the highest tax, high service states and cities, I think NV's method works better. You obviously don't. Apparently both of us should move.
I am in favor of lower tax, lower service. This is the reason a lot of people move here (retirees anyway). As far as schools, about half of the California state budget goes to schools, however, it seems the unions and administration are the one who benefit. I also don't want to pay welfare for people who keep having children they can't afford.

Last edited by observer53; 03-25-2014 at 02:53 PM..

Old 03-23-2014, 02:31 PM

10,869 posts, read 14,197,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
And regarding entitlement programs, our country uses them too much and spends too much money on them. Some programs have gone from a helping hand when one is struggling, to a life course.
We (and Nevada in particular) don't spend enough on these programs, don't use them enough, and quality of life for me, the responsible taxpayer, would improve if we did. (With me being in agreement that waste and fraud is bad.)

A 100% combat disabled veteran who needs entitlement programs as life course? Let me break out the checkbook so I can help fund those programs. There are hundreds of similar groups of people who aren't getting all the help that they not only need but the help they deserve.

We are so afraid that some mooches will game the system that we gut the programs for those who need it. Social programs are a convenient whipping post for people of a certain political stripe. But they improve the community at large -- not just the people who need the program. In exchange for paying more taxes to improve education, skills training, and yes -- outright living subsidies, I get a safer more pleasant community in which to live. Win-win. I would rather be the person writing the check who doesn't need the help, than the person on the other end accepting the help/program. That person would almost certainly want to change places with me. And the small percentage of moochers who wouldn't want to change places? Big deal, they're not as big a drain on the system as people seem to think.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:58 PM

15,202 posts, read 18,206,160 times
Quote:
I can't write a check and save Henderson's libraries. Individual charitable donations cannot meet the needs of the big-ticket responsibilities like reducing class size in schools or caring for our poor or sick.

"I've got mine Jack," is not the basis for any kind of decent society. Ayn Rand fans might want to live there. But nobody else does. (And when you get down to it, who wants to be surrounded by a bunch of Ayn Rand libertarians? That's my idea of hell.)
Hey, Scoop - check your comprehension and/or bias levels. Unless, that is, you WANT more government waste. If waste is your thing, let us know, so we're all clear on your point of view. But if that's not the case, then you've somehow concocted some fantasy from what I wrote, based on whatever opinion you hold of me. I say this because your response is not only condescending and argumentative, but it's completely off base, out of left field, and whatever other baseball analogy you want to apply which indicates that your thought process is somewhere up in the ionosphere.

I suppose that if you want to tell people that they shouldn't volunteer, donate to charity or participate in their government, go for it. It's a free country. I can't comprehend why anyone would think that way, but whatever. It takes a village, right?

Old 03-23-2014, 05:51 PM

5,314 posts, read 6,283,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Hey, Scoop - check your comprehension and/or bias levels. Unless, that is, you WANT more government waste. If waste is your thing, let us know, so we're all clear on your point of view. But if that's not the case, then you've somehow concocted some fantasy from what I wrote, based on whatever opinion you hold of me. I say this because your response is not only condescending and argumentative, but it's completely off base, out of left field, and whatever other baseball analogy you want to apply which indicates that your thought process is somewhere up in the ionosphere.

I suppose that if you want to tell people that they shouldn't volunteer, donate to charity or participate in their government, go for it. It's a free country. I can't comprehend why anyone would think that way, but whatever. It takes a village, right?
There will be uber-liberals in every discussion. I think they are misguided, and tend to believe and do what they are told, but there is room for them in this country and on this forum. It would be pretty boring otherwise.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:51 PM

126 posts, read 199,425 times
Quote:
I can't write a check and save Henderson's libraries.
When I was growing up in the pre-internet age, public libraries were needed. Today? They're the buggy-whip manufacturers of the internet age.
All public libraries should be closed. I'll cut university libraries some slack, as they tend to have hard-to-find publications. But most everything in a public library can be found online.

Almost every time I've been in a public library in the last ten years, there were more staff than people using the library.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:27 PM

4,663 posts, read 6,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyjetzzz View Post
When I was growing up in the pre-internet age, public libraries were needed. Today? They're the buggy-whip manufacturers of the internet age.
All public libraries should be closed. I'll cut university libraries some slack, as they tend to have hard-to-find publications. But most everything in a public library can be found online.

Almost every time I've been in a public library in the last ten years, there were more staff than people using the library.

My local library is packed, can hardly find a parking space.

Do you really believe that if all public libraries were closed it would actually lower your taxes?

Old 03-23-2014, 06:55 PM

678 posts, read 785,374 times
Quote:
If you can't drive, can't afford a car, or don't want to drive, the answer is simple, don't move to, or if you're already there, move out of, Clark County. Find someplace else in the country that is more pedestrian/transit friendly. It's that simple. Vegas is auto centric. It was designed as such, and will likely always remain as such.

From the tax standpoint, as stated above, I live in one of the most transit centric cities in the world. Transit bleeds money like a stuck pig. The fairs come nowhere near being able to both fund the operations and capital needs of the system. It's been borrowing money like crazy. They begging the city/state for subsidies, and other sources of income the MTA can tap (it taxes, fees.) A lot of these are tacked onto drivers. A lot of the city bridges have ridiculous tolls ($7.50 each way.) Most of this money goes not to bridge maintenance, but to the transit system. Vegas has done well enough with just it's bus system. Leave well enough alone.

The amount of miles I save on my car, (not to mention gas $) being able to do just the daily routine driving of shopping, post office and an errand here or there is amazing...in Vegas everything is close by. I drive about 7,000 miles a year which is less than half the national average of 15k. It preserves the value if you have a nice car with minimal cost of maintenance.

There are so many perks to living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or