Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 04:01 PM

347 posts, read 511,646 times

Advertisements

It just gets better and better to be a resident here. I pity the working poor in humid California

Best & Worst States to be a Taxpayer | WalletHub®

Old 03-21-2014, 07:55 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
And? You get exactly what you pay for!!

Old 03-21-2014, 09:31 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Yep, wide, beautiful roads. Tons of lighting on the roadways. Ample police and firefighters. Enough government employees so things run smoothly, but not too many so there is excessive wasteful spending. I'd say we get exactly what we pay for

Old 03-21-2014, 10:12 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
I live in NYC. I pay the highest taxes in the country. I'm damn sure not getting what I'm paying for.

Quote:

Old 03-21-2014, 11:37 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Yep, wide, beautiful roads. Tons of lighting on the roadways. Ample police and firefighters. Enough government employees so things run smoothly, but not too many so there is excessive wasteful spending. I'd say we get exactly what we pay for
For those in this city that can ill-afford to own a car, let alone maintain one, and the millennium generation (who can afford one, but want someone else to do the driving) I'm sure they love our wide, beautiful roadways and tons of lighting, and wonder why you only pay $1.50 to ride a bus in L.A., and $2 here!

Old 03-22-2014, 12:29 AM

164 posts, read 260,470 times
Quote:
exactly. and when you don't pay for something, you keep your money.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:06 PM

If you can't drive, can't afford a car, or don't want to drive, the answer is simple, don't move to, or if you're already there, move out of, Clark County. Find someplace else in the country that is more pedestrian/transit friendly. It's that simple. Vegas is auto centric. It was designed as such, and will likely always remain as such.

From the tax standpoint, as stated above, I live in one of the most transit centric cities in the world. Transit bleeds money like a stuck pig. The fairs come nowhere near being able to both fund the operations and capital needs of the system. It's been borrowing money like crazy. They begging the city/state for subsidies, and other sources of income the MTA can tap (it taxes, fees.) A lot of these are tacked onto drivers. A lot of the city bridges have ridiculous tolls ($7.50 each way.) Most of this money goes not to bridge maintenance, but to the transit system. Vegas has done well enough with just it's bus system. Leave well enough alone.

Quote:
For those in this city that can ill-afford to own a car, let alone maintain one, and the millennium generation (who can afford one, but want someone else to do the driving) I'm sure they love our wide, beautiful roadways and tons of lighting, and wonder why you only pay $1.50 to ride a bus in L.A., and $2 here!

Old 03-22-2014, 12:26 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Vegas has done well enough with just it's bus system. Leave well enough alone.
I could not disagree more that we've done "well enough." The few times I've taken the bus (because I was being picked up after work and didn't want to deal with how to get my car out of the garage), have been nightmares.

The. Bus. Stops. Every. 500. Feet. Getting from my front door to the strip takes a minimum of two hours.

And that sucks for drivers, too -- how many accidents have been caused by people trying to get out from behind the damned bus? I see a couple of these every week.

I think we should re-do all the routes. Draw grid lines like a tic-tac-toe board over the valley. Three or four vertical lines, four or five horizontal. Express buses run these grid routes. That would get me from the corner of Charleston and Nellis to the Strip with only one stop at Eastern. And it would take me clear across town to Summerlin with only two or three stops.

Once dropped off at a grid point, local buses get me within walking distance of my destination. (And walking distance should be more than 500 feet. Disabled people have their own special bus system already. Halve the number of stops and we double the speed of the system.

That's a system I would actually use. The only people who use the current system are the people who are unable to drive or can't afford to -- unwilling commuters.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:28 PM

I didn't mean that the Vegas bus system was anything to write home about. I meant Vegas was better off being non-transit centric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I could not disagree more that we've done "well enough." The few times I've taken the bus (because I was being picked up after work and didn't want to deal with how to get my car out of the garage), have been nightmares.

The. Bus. Stops. Every. 500. Feet. Getting from my front door to the strip takes a minimum of two hours.

And that sucks for drivers, too -- how many accidents have been caused by people trying to get out from behind the damned bus? I see a couple of these every week.

I think we should re-do all the routes. Draw grid lines like a tic-tac-toe board over the valley. Three or four vertical lines, four or five horizontal. Express buses run these grid routes. That would get me from the corner of Charleston and Nellis to the Strip with only one stop at Eastern. And it would take me clear across town to Summerlin with only two or three stops.

Once dropped off at a grid point, local buses get me within walking distance of my destination. (And walking distance should be more than 500 feet. Disabled people have their own special bus system already. Halve the number of stops and we double the speed of the system.

That's a system I would actually use. The only people who use the current system are the people who are unable to drive or can't afford to -- unwilling commuters.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:45 PM

23,846 posts, read 24,091,732 times
With cost of living adjustments, Nevada is number TWO.

Wyoming, which is a strong candidate for my residence when I retire, is number one in both columns.

Texas, which is the next state I'll be moving to, is number seven. Not too shabby.

Also worth noting is that the top seven states have something else in common - none of them have a state income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
View detailed profiles of: