Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 09:14 PM

39 posts, read 120,489 times

Advertisements

Recently we were looking to move into California. But I think of the recent southern Calif quake we are now thinking maybe Nevada might be a better alternative. Currently where we live we get quite a bit of snow in the winter. Kind of makes you feel like a prisoner as I don't handle too well in the winter. But being from Calif I am not also used to summers mostly in the late 80s or early 90s temperatures. But I guess wherever one lives there is always a sacrifice one over the other. A quake could take our life but the summers will not as long as we have a place and a/c with us.
I've heard that in parts of Nevada it is basically a 2 or 3 month s of summer heat. Actually it can get pretty hot over here. Especially here in Illinois where the heat index can reach over 100 and something. Still I think we rank overall in the 80's or 90's in general. However unlike Calif. The temp. at night does not go down too much as it does near the pacific Ocean. Apparently the ocean is good and making the nights cooler. But we don't live near any oceans.
I'm wondering where and what parts of Nevada can we look into that is less likely to get over 100 degrees in the summer? What areas and or cities do you think is more likely to be in the 90's or less if possible? I know that Nevada is not exactly Fantasy Island but turn the heat down a little. I heard Las Vegas gets direct heat.
Also if you live in Nevada can you share any ideas how you like ot try to keep cool during the summer? Do you special fans or maybe wear a special vest or something? I like to be creative but even one that has ideas can get their ideas from others who has more experience such as Nevadans, my girlfriend's brother lives in Las Vegas. But he doesn't know the whole region. I think he and his best friend mostly hang out in the Vegas areas. So I don't think he could give us much insight. B
One thing I learned though there is a lot of fun things to do out there. I don't doubt that one. I give thanks to all and anyone who can be helpful. TY your friend RJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 11:18 AM

2,846 posts, read 4,520,659 times
ok, so vegas is out, as is pahrump & mesquite. that leaves you anything north of beatty. but the most important question is:

what do you plan to do for jobs?

a lot the locations that don't reach 100 degrees during the summer are limited on jobs....

Old 04-01-2014, 12:34 PM

39 posts, read 120,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
ok, so vegas is out, as is pahrump & mesquite. that leaves you anything north of beatty. but the most important question is:

what do you plan to do for jobs?

a lot the locations that don't reach 100 degrees during the summer are limited on jobs....
Ok I see what you mean. There certainly appears to seem to be a lot let to do. When you get out of these regions when I would get out there I would get a job as a guide to see people through the desert.

Well it appears the Las Vegas area would have what we want to do. So do you know any city or area that is at least 5 degrees cooler then Las Vegas area?

I would feel ok being in an apt with a/c since I am indoors a lot. Does the power ever go out in the Vegas areas? If so for how long usually? How does one stay cool if losing power when it is hot?

Old 04-01-2014, 05:24 PM

2,846 posts, read 4,520,659 times
pahrump is 5-10 degrees cooler than vegas, but again you'll run into the lack of jobs situation.

if the power goes out in vegas it's usually because someone hit a power pole.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:32 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Mt Charleston if you can find a place there. Lovely climate in the summer. Snow in the winter (There's a ski resort up there). The commute is kind of long if you work in the city of LV though.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:15 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
I'm in Las Vegas and have seen it hit close to 120º on rare occasions in the lower parts of town. When I was younger I'd go jogging at that time. Now I just try to stay inside as much as possible when it gets too hot. But, 100º in the desert where the humidity is 8% is really very pleasant. Much more so than living where the humidity is 80% at 75º.

Anyway, there are 2 million people and growing in Las Vegas and it hasn't run anyone off yet that we can see. Most people that haven't experienced our weather, but only hear rumors, tend to make way too much out of the high temps that many people here really enjoy. Besides it's not like it is over 100º all the time. And, like I said, there is no humidity and you won't believe what a difference that makes.

But in Nevada, your best bet is probably Reno for milder temps. It is not quite as dry as southern Nevada, but it would be extremely dry compared to Illinois. I find the weather up there to be very pleasant most of the time. Although they have a saying about the weather up there; "If you don't like it, wait 20 minutes and it will change." Although both are really the names of the metro area they dominate, there are really only two "cities" in Nevada - Las Vegas and Reno.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:16 PM

I know this is a Nevada forum, and I'm a Nevadan thru and thru, but truly, your best bet might be Albuquerque, New Mexico. NM is a state, by the way, not a foreign country. The weather in Albuquerque is the best. Almost as good as San Diego, with mountains instead of ocean of course. They get a little bit of snow, but it's overall a little bit better than Reno's weather, although they are close. It's a just that the best food in the country is in New Mexico, and in terms of culture and history, it is at the top of the list with the biggest cities in the country. There is more history and culture in Santa Fe than in the whole state of Nevada, and most of the states surrounding us. Albuquerque is over 300 years old and Santa Fe, the oldest, or possibly second oldest, city in the country, is only an hour up I-25. Both cities have several museums, and a zoo in Albuquerque. You probably wouldn't want to live in Santa Fe though. Too high, too cold, too small. Even so, there are literally thousands of artists between Albuquerque and Taos, making Santa Fe the third largest art market in the U.S. behind New York and Chicago. Santa Fe also has the best restaurants in the U.S. Great skiing too, as well as hiking, and fishing in some of the most beautiful mountains you'll ever see.

Both Reno and Albuquerque have tons of beautiful outdoor scenery with all kinds of outdoor things to do. Las Vegas has that too, but if you don't like heat, you might not like Las Vegas, humidity or not.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:37 PM

531 posts, read 758,497 times
If you dislike snow, LV and south to AZ is the only option.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:02 PM

42 posts, read 127,542 times
Northern Nevada is pretty cool during summer compared to Southern Nevada. The closer to the Sierra Nevadas you live, the more snow in the winter.. but the cooler it is in the summer. I grew up in Carson City, and we did not have an air conditioner. It was cool at night, so we opened our windows and then shut them in the morning. Nowadays, my mom has a swamp cooler, but she only uses it in July and August usually. Good luck in your search.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetenigma View Post
Northern Nevada is pretty cool during summer compared to Southern Nevada. The closer to the Sierra Nevadas you live, the more snow in the winter.. but the cooler it is in the summer. I grew up in Carson City, and we did not have an air conditioner. It was cool at night, so we opened our windows and then shut them in the morning. Nowadays, my mom has a swamp cooler, but she only uses it in July and August usually. Good luck in your search.
I lived in Reno for about two years and I thought the weather there was really nice. Just enough cold, but not too much; and just enough heat, but not too much. Most of the time it was mild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada