U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2014, 03:35 PM

28 posts, read 111,555 times

Advertisements

I don't own a car, living with family. The 3 of us moved from Ohio where we had lived all our lives, late August 2013. I have yet to get my Driver's License here in NV, mainly due to horrible new health issues that may be resolving (or I'm at least handling them properly). Nothing "serious" just systemic allergies from food and chemicals.

Anyway, I don't own a car, dad and I share. I know that if you don't get your license within 30 days you are subject to a $200 fine but if I'm reading this right that only applies if I own a car (which requires registration in NV in those first 30 days).

Here is what Nevada DMV New Resident Guide says:
Quote:
"New Nevada residents must obtain their driver license and vehicle registration within 30 days. The initial fine for failing to register your vehicle is $1,000. It may be reduced to not less than $200 upon compliance."
Does anyone here know if this is the case? Would I pay $200 or more for not applying for my license within the first 30 days of being here?

My Ohio license is not expired. I have no outstanding tickets or anything legal that needs handled.

I plan on going to get my NV license soon, but I've just had so much on my plate that needed figured out with my health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 03:43 PM

15,202 posts, read 18,224,287 times
I don't ever condone breaking the law or not taking responsibility for it when you do, but the common sense engine in me is asking why anyone would volunteer that information...

Old 08-02-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I don't ever condone breaking the law or not taking responsibility for it when you do, but the common sense engine in me is asking why anyone would volunteer that information...
What the hell are you talking about? I don't own a car, so how is it illegal for me to not get my DL with the first 30 days? I'm no criminal. I've had a ****-ton of health problems since moving here. I can't work due to disabilities besides my new health problems. I am not doing anything illegal. Please explain to me what I am doing that is breaking the law? So, your whole purpose of replying to my thread was to try to make me feel bad for my ****ty life? I already feel bad enough, I don't need you (some random person on the internet who wants to feel superior to me) making me feel worse.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:30 AM

15,202 posts, read 18,224,287 times
First of all, calm down. Sheesh. I'm not "want[ing] to feel superior to you" or trying "to make you feel bad".

You cited the law yourself:

Quote:
New Nevada residents must obtain their driver license ... within 30 days.
You have an out of state license. You've been here longer than 30 days. Based on the information YOU provided, you are in violation of the law. The law doesn't care WHY you haven't done it. I do - I understand your situation - but the law doesn't grant you an exception for health issues.

Once again, my only comment was wondering why anyone would volunteer that information. It'd be kind of like getting pulled over for speeding and saying to the cop, "By the way, I have an ounce of cocaine in my pocket." Who does that?

Old 08-03-2014, 11:43 AM

477 posts, read 397,632 times
In the greater scheme of things, I don't see that this is exactly on the level of bank-robbing or murder.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. How do they know when you moved here anyway? Just go get the driver's license and fill out the forms appropriately.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:34 PM

2,187 posts, read 2,961,236 times
i dont' believe they ask for proof of WHEN you moved here

Old 08-03-2014, 09:34 PM

477 posts, read 397,632 times
They couldn't ask for proof of the date of moving because there is no such thing - its not like there are Nazis at the border stamping your papers.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:00 PM

Thanks, everyone. The last thing I need is more money flying out of our pockets due to something like this. Doctor visits and testing costs enough as it is, let alone a stupid fine for what may not actually be illegal for me. The DMV does not mention specifics, only if I fail to register within the first 30 days IF I own a car that needs registered. So in all fairness, I likely do not have a problem as it is. I just wanted your opinions on it, and if you did perhaps know exactly what the law states then that would be even better as then I would KNOW.

Well tomorrow I'll start the registration process. I'm feeling better and have likely eliminated yet another allergic problem food from my diet since this morning. Who woulda thunk a gluten-free, dairy-free bread with nothing I have identified in it as an allergen would be causing it! Now that I am feeling better (so far) I can sort of laugh about it. I have called the manufacturer to let them know something isn't right and hopefully will be in touch with them soon to discuss it via phone.

I think things may be finally looking up for me health-wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or