U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 10:38 PM

412 posts, read 305,748 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the input.

I'm surprised though that $700/month is not sufficient. I rent a studio apartment here in Palm Springs one block off the strip for $650/month. When I looked online, I found lots of apartments available for under $700 that looked really nice, but perhaps the photos were deceiving? I'm also open to buying a mobile home. I saw a post on GayNeighborhoods.com where a gay couple is only paying $219 to rent the space. Here in Palm Springs, you'll pay on average $600/month for the space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 11:27 PM

249 posts, read 258,713 times
Yes, the photos can be deceiving. Also, could be bad property management, maintenance, neighbors, etc.. Heck, even a $1,000 1 bedroom apartment doesn't guarantee anything. Best to check reviews online, but even w/ that some of them I wonder if it's bs and put there by management. I like Yelp so you can see if the person is an active reviewer, or at the very least has a few other reviews ... that is "if" the apartment is even reviewed. Personally I find the process frustrating. I'm going through that again.

Thanks for mentioning GayNeighborhoods.com. I'm gonna check that out!

Good Luck!

Old 10-26-2014, 03:23 PM

Miss Kathrine, now I see where you're coming from. I had been looking for studios on apartments.com and mostly craigslist. When I looked at Yelp, all these "luxury" apartment buildings are reviewed that don't even show up on apartments.com or craigslist. The rents are way higher than those on craigslist.

I'm more of a craigslist, low class sorta guy... not your stereotypical gay guy. I think you're a few castes above me!

I just need a full size fridge, stove, and a small space for my bed and computer. I managed to retire early at 57 by being a miser so I'm used to it. I used to live in the midst of a club district where the music rattled the windows at night. Even the college students couldn't stand it but the rent was dirt cheap in the heart of the city... nothing a good pair of foam earplugs couldn't take care of.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:42 PM

249 posts, read 258,713 times
Oh honey, don't say you're a low class sort of guy using craigslist. You're a resourceful kind of guy For certain things craigslist is an extremely useful site, but from my past personal experience, it is not good for apartment hunting in Vegas. Now I'm using something similar to apartments.com. I use forrent.com & rent.com, but those sites are deceiving too, hence Yelp. All I can say is ... Yelp is a person's friend!

You can find something in your price range in the central east or west area, maybe southeast too. Actually anything central and kinda near the strip aren't good areas, but that's not to say there aren't good people that are living there due to economic reasons. It's so challenging looking online and not being able to see apartments in person. You're best bet is to keep going between the apartment rental sites and Yelp.

You're smart for being a miser. Wish I had been that way. I was making a s**t ton of money. Living large for a long time. And you may have guessed it ... not saving! Then the recession hit and I was not prepared to have the rug pulled out from under me. I have never been this financially challenged since I was a poor starving college student ... and yes that was a long time ago ... LOL.

Again, good luck to you!

Old 11-12-2014, 04:49 PM

47 posts, read 54,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmiller9 View Post
I'm gay and newly retired in Palm Springs, CA. However, if my luck holds out, I will have significant capital gains ($400K+) on a couple biotech stocks that I plan to sell in 2016 or 2017. CA will snatch about 12% (48K) when I sell them. Therefore, NV is looking very tempting, since there's NO state capital gains tax. I live off of $2500/month, so $48K is a significant amount of money for me to part with.

So where do I live? Las Vegas is an easy and cheap do-it-yourself move for me (just 4 hour drive), but what neighborhood do I look to move to. I'm 58 and just looking for like-minded platonic friends. Any thoughts?

I'm a renter and would be looking for a studio apartment around $700/month in a gay friendly area. Living in small spaces is not only cheaper rent, but way cheaper AC bills in the summer.
Hey mate. My boyfriend and I live in an area called Paradise Palms, which is a mid mod neighbourhood very close to the Strip. It's very Palm Springs! In fact, all the homes were designed by architectural team Palmer and Krissel, who did the Las Palmas are of Palm Springs. There's a blog dedicated to the area:
Paradise Palms And yea, it's absolutely full of the gays.

If you want to buy a cool, mid mod, Palm Springs type house (which, by the way, are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than those in Palm Springs) contact Uncle Jack Levine. Jack is gay and one of the pioneers of the mid mod preservation movement. He is also a very fine chap - everyone loves Jack. Uncle Jack's Very Vintage Vegas – Mid Century Modern Homes, Historic Las Vegas Neighborhoods, Las Vegas History and Urban Living by Jack LeVine Tell him that Australian Brendan recommended you contact him.

However... because you want to rent a studio, I would recommend Downtown. One problem: there's very limited stock there at the moment and it's not that cheap. But contact Uncle Jack anyway. He will point you in the right direction.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggers_jr View Post
Hey mate. My boyfriend and I live in an area called Paradise Palms, which is a mid mod neighbourhood very close to the Strip. It's very Palm Springs! In fact, all the homes were designed by architectural team Palmer and Krissel, who did the Las Palmas are of Palm Springs. There's a blog dedicated to the area:
Paradise Palms And yea, it's absolutely full of the gays.
Thanks for the tip. I'm on my own, so I'd need another million before I'd consider buying a house.

However, I'll use that neighborhood as a point of reference when looking for an apartment. It seems there are lots of vacant apartments in LV all over the place, of varying prices. You're right, studio's are more scarce than other areas though. I only need a studio, so I figured it might allow me to stay in my price range but live in a nicer complex. I'm also open to renting a privately owned condo. I've seen some good deals on those as well. I still have until next April before I go to LV and start looking, so lots of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or