U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 03:17 PM

625 posts, read 639,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Same as alcohol in that regard. It's legal, but you still can't have it in your system at work.
Marijuana stays in your system much longer than a night of a couple beers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 03:40 PM

5,314 posts, read 6,318,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bps401 View Post
Marijuana stays in your system much longer than a night of a couple beers.
True. But if you are working at a place with random drug tests, unless they exempt marijuana (like they do most narcotic pharmaceuticals), they have the right to screen. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:29 PM

186 posts, read 182,921 times
Since we are on this topic what are they going to do about the drug tests? I know I'm completely clueless on this. If it is legalized for recreational use, can our employer use drug test or something? How would all that work?

Old 11-09-2014, 04:41 PM
EA

6,183 posts, read 5,214,450 times
Yeah, that's my point. Pot stays in your system for 30 days or so. It is ok to base employment eligibility on being pot free when pot is illegal, but when it is legal, how can they hold it against you what you do on your own time?

Old 11-09-2014, 06:37 PM

2,557 posts, read 3,882,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I think ALL drugs should be legal. I'm libertarian on the subject. Let adults do to themselves what they want.

I just wonder how employers will deal with it. Billy could smoke weed on Friday night after work, and only on Friday night, then go to work on Monday, get hit with a forklift by an incompetent coworker, and be terminated for failing the inadequate drug test.
There's definitely some substances that have no business being legal. Meth definitely comes to mind. I don't foresee employers waiving drug tests any time soon regardless of whether recreational use is legalized.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:37 PM

28,243 posts, read 39,908,153 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's my point. Pot stays in your system for 30 days or so. It is ok to base employment eligibility on being pot free when pot is illegal, but when it is legal, how can they hold it against you what you do on your own time?
What is an employers reaction to someone coming to work drunk?

Old 11-09-2014, 06:42 PM

2,557 posts, read 3,882,824 times
Quote:
Simply because they can. Unless what you do is so highly specialized that losing you as an employee would put them in a serious bind finding a replacement.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:48 PM
EA

Coming to work drunk is not the same as getting drunk Friday night, and going to work sober on Monday. A sobriety test will come back negative for alcohol. A drug test for marijuana, on the other hand, under the exact same circumstances, will be positive despite you being completely sober.

This won't affect me as I don't like drugs at all, but it is a logistics problem that needs addressed.

Also, making drugs illegal does NOTHING to prevent people from using them hence the rampant drug use in this country.
However, making them legal means I don't have to pay taxes to support these people in expensive prisons.
Unchecked meth usage is a problem that sorts itself out.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:00 PM

28,243 posts, read 39,908,153 times
That wasn't an answer to my question. It was very specific. What is an employers reaction to someone coming to work drunk?

Old 11-09-2014, 07:15 PM
EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
That wasn't an answer to my question. It was very specific. What is an employers reaction to someone coming to work drunk?

They'd probably send them home for the day, possibly fire them. I know what you're getting at and it's not going to fly.
Yes alcohol is legal, and no you can't go to work drunk.
You can, however, drink on your days off so long as you make it to work sober.

If you have an accident at work, and they give you a breathalyzer, as long as you haven't been drinking that day, you will pass that test.
If you smoked one joint 28 days ago, you will still fail that drug test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or