U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-16-2014, 08:21 PM
EA EA started this thread
 
Location: Las Vegas
6,099 posts, read 5,160,774 times
Reputation: 6718

Advertisements

It does qualify me for unemployment. Every other person that has been in the Carpenter's union files unemployment when they attend classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-16-2014, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
12,686 posts, read 31,824,055 times
Reputation: 5406
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
It does qualify me for unemployment. Every other person that has been in the Carpenter's union files unemployment when they attend classes.
As far as I remember, UI is allowed for Carpenter's Union people when they are in required training. But no one is allowed UI if they do not otherwise qualify. There is more than one issue here I think. In your case you might not qualify due to the job you quit. But an adjudicator will have to look at the facts and issue a determination. I imagine that the next time you'll be able to collect though as you will have worked off that issue.

For some reason, my computer won't let me open the link to Filing For UI by Phone. But are you sure that it is only Mon-Tues to file an Initial Claim (IC), and not just for filing your weekly claims after the claim has been established? You can also file online, but if you make a mistake, I'm not sure how you handle it.

Here is their site for everything: Nevada Department of Employment, Training and Rehabilitation

Also, you might go to a Nevada's JobConnect office after work and see if someone in the Resource Center can help you. But, leave the attitude at home unless you just want to waste your time as it won't be tolerated very well by the people trying to help you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2014, 09:12 PM
EA EA started this thread
 
Location: Las Vegas
6,099 posts, read 5,160,774 times
Reputation: 6718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
As far as I remember, UI is allowed for Carpenter's Union people when they are in required training. But no one is allowed UI if they do not otherwise qualify. There is more than one issue here I think. In your case you might not qualify due to the job you quit. But an adjudicator will have to look at the facts and issue a determination. I imagine that the next time you'll be able to collect though as you will have worked off that issue.

For some reason, my computer won't let me open the link to Filing For UI by Phone. But are you sure that it is only Mon-Tues to file an Initial Claim (IC), and not just for filing your weekly claims after the claim has been established? You can also file online, but if you make a mistake, I'm not sure how you handle it.

Here is their site for everything: Nevada Department of Employment, Training and Rehabilitation

Also, you might go to a Nevada's JobConnect office after work and see if someone in the Resource Center can help you. But, leave the attitude at home unless you just want to waste your time as it won't be tolerated very well by the people trying to help you.

I am very sure that I can only take care of this problem Monday and Tuesday. Wed-fri you can only receive information over the phone. I need to speak with an adjudicator. I have been calling daily for 2 weeks now. The person I spoke with over the phone on Thursday said she would send my information to an adjudicator, but as of a few minutes ago, it's currently showing this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2014, 01:10 AM
 
17,630 posts, read 35,998,196 times
Reputation: 10132
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Ok, the union has it set up so that the week we take off every quarter qualifies us to file for unemployment. The employer does not pay us for this time. It is set up as a lay off for one week.

I am 100% eligible for unemployment, I know that much. My first day of class was December 1st. I filed for unemployment, online, on December 1st.

Either I made a mistake in filing, or the website was f'ed up. Either way, the bs methods with which the state handles unemployment are rendering it impossible for me to resolve my issue.

What I want to know is, are there any alternatives, that you are aware of, that I can utilize to resolve my issue with UNEMPLOYMENT?
Not my boss, not my employer, not my old employer, not my previous state, Nevada unemployment.

If the union has this arranged somehow, have you asked them for help on how to file for it? If Buzz is right, and he is on this stuff, it's the job before this one that may end up being the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2014, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
15,202 posts, read 18,215,826 times
Reputation: 8031
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Ok, the union has it set up so that the week we take off every quarter qualifies us to file for unemployment. The employer does not pay us for this time. It is set up as a lay off for one week.
I friggin' HATE unions.

So you haven't actually lost your job, and you're going to be attending some sort of training session, for your job, but the wonderful Nevada taxpayers have to pick up the tab for that week of work, instead of your employer or the union?

[language] Like I said, I hate unions. [off topic]

I hope you get your situation worked out, because I don't have anything against you personally, but I also hope that whatever union you work for goes belly up, like tomorrow. That would be the best thing that could happen.

Last edited by observer53; 12-17-2014 at 10:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2014, 11:29 AM
 
1,384 posts, read 1,314,294 times
Reputation: 720
EA you would make a great photo journalist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2014, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
12,686 posts, read 31,824,055 times
Reputation: 5406
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I friggin' HATE unions.

So you haven't actually lost your job, and you're going to be attending some sort of training session, for your job, but the wonderful Nevada taxpayers have to pick up the tab for that week of work, instead of your employer or the union?

[language] Like I said, I hate unions. [off topic]

I hope you get your situation worked out, because I don't have anything against you personally, but I also hope that whatever union you work for goes belly up, like tomorrow. That would be the best thing that could happen.
The taxpayers of Nevada don't pay a dime for unemployment benefits, unless you are talking about employers as taxpayers. Unemployment Insurance is just that...and insurance policy that covers an employers' workers if the employer has to lay them off due to lack of work. Job training is very important in order to provide employers with a ready work force. It's good for the economy. That's why Nevada employers asked for, and got, programs to train workers, and they voluntarily pay a slightly higher amount to Unemployment Insurance to be used for training, etc. Employment, not UI benefits, is the main thing. The Department of Employment, Training & Rehabilitation consists of divisions that offer assistance in job training and placement, vocational rehabilitation, workplace discrimination and in collecting and analyzing workforce and economic data. Many of these services are provided through DETR's partnership with the Nevada JobConnect system.

Before I retired it was my job to match workers with employers who would train them on the job (OJT) and for their efforts they would get a rebate of up to half the workers' pay during training (usually up to about $2,000). Note, it's a rebate. It's their money that they get back.

And, before anyone argues that if they didn't have to buy Unemployment Insurance (UI), they could pay workers more, let's discuss which employers you know that would do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2014, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
12,686 posts, read 31,824,055 times
Reputation: 5406
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I am very sure that I can only take care of this problem Monday and Tuesday. Wed-fri you can only receive information over the phone. I need to speak with an adjudicator. I have been calling daily for 2 weeks now. The person I spoke with over the phone on Thursday said she would send my information to an adjudicator, but as of a few minutes ago, it's currently showing this.
So you have actually done what you're supposed to do, and are waiting for the issue of quitting the previous job to be adjudicated? Well, that's the way it works. It really isn't the picture you painted before which sounded like you couldn't get through on the phone to apply. You applied, and the Adjudicator has 21 days by Federal law to make a determination based on unemployment law and the facts of each case. Due to case overload, it sometimes takes a little longer. Then if the determination says you are not eligible, you and the (former) employer have 10 more days to file an Appeal. Then they set up a hearing which is more time.

It's not the State of Nevada that is holding you up, it is the law that's holding you up, and legal matters such as this take time. One reason is that everyone involved - you - your former employer, etc.- have to be notified by mail, and given time to reply by mail. Then hearings and interviews have to be scheduled and done. Every Adjudicator will spend most of the day interviewing people by phone, and waiting for evidence to arrive, etc., before they can look it all over again and issue a written decision. It ain't that easy on their part either. They like to resolve these things as fast as humanly possible and go to lunch like the rest of us. But they work long hours to keep up, and if they stay after five o'clock, they won't be getting paid for it; but they will be getting chewed out for it.

Best to just file and chill. It is what it is. You either qualify or you don't, and all this fretting about it won't change a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2014, 05:05 PM
EA EA started this thread
 
Location: Las Vegas
6,099 posts, read 5,160,774 times
Reputation: 6718
I filed, but it filed wrong. I need to speak with an adjudicator to fix it. I can not get through to an adjudicator because they only take calls on Monday and Tuesday. It's crazy that there is no unemployment office here. I had to file unemployment once before, in NC, a long time ago, and they had a website, office, and you could call 5 days a week.

Also, The pending resolution thing is gone from my UI homepage. It still says paid 0.00 so I don't know what is happening.

It is amazing how many people don't know how unemployment is funded. Watching the news is bad, M'kay.


Winter-Rabbit. That is a job I would absolutely love. The next car show I go to, after I get my camera back (Had to pawn it because still no unemployment...) I am going to ask a couple guys if we can do a photo shoot of their car, free, and let me interview them. Send my article/pictures to some magazine editors and see what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2014, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
12,686 posts, read 31,824,055 times
Reputation: 5406
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I filed, but it filed wrong. I need to speak with an adjudicator to fix it. I can not get through to an adjudicator because they only take calls on Monday and Tuesday. It's crazy that there is no unemployment office here. I had to file unemployment once before, in NC, a long time ago, and they had a website, office, and you could call 5 days a week.

Also, The pending resolution thing is gone from my UI homepage. It still says paid 0.00 so I don't know what is happening.

It is amazing how many people don't know how unemployment is funded. Watching the news is bad, M'kay.


Winter-Rabbit. That is a job I would absolutely love. The next car show I go to, after I get my camera back (Had to pawn it because still no unemployment...) I am going to ask a couple guys if we can do a photo shoot of their car, free, and let me interview them. Send my article/pictures to some magazine editors and see what happens.
What should be happening is that it is in the hands of an Adjudicator who should send you a letter that tells you when you will be called for your phone interview, but I take it you had that interview already? Meantime the Adjudicator will also be doing the same with the former employer. Once he/she gathers up the facts they will determine if you quit for a better job, or otherwise had a reason beyond your control (my words-not legalese) to quit a what may have been a perfectly good job. They will also look at how long you have worked for the new employer, and how much money you have earned there. Once they get all the facts together they will send you a letter telling you their decision. Remember they have 21 days to do that, and with the case overload they may be behind the curve.

If it seems to be the wrong application of the law you should appeal. But that will take more time. I take it you are back to work now, so you might not have the time to pursue it. Usually the Adjudicator knows the law and only does what he/she is allowed to do. BTW: The laws are almost identical in every state with some interesting variations. You can go on line and look up the Nevada Revised Statutes (NRS-612) concerning the Employment Security Division. The more you know the less frustrating it is. NRS: CHAPTER 612 - UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION

And, if they find you are eligible, the money will be released right away. I think instead of checks these days they either direct deposit it, or they give you a bank debit card. Now remember, if you get paid this time or not, this claim is in effect for one full year. So at anytime you are laid off or sent for training again within that year, you would simply reopen this same claim, and by then you will hopefully have done what is necessary to re-qualify. When denied UI it is important to keep a record (direct deposit slips, check stubs, etc.) of any wages you earn after that in case you get laid off down the road, and have to prove that you earned the re-qualifying amount WEEKLY for however many weeks they tell you.

Another precaution to everyone - don't believe anything anyone tells you about unemployment benefits unless it is from the Employment Security Division in writing. Unions don't know, employers don't know, and especially, friends don't know. You can take it from me, they will ALWAYS be wrong. Furthermore, I am only speculating based on what I have been able to try and put some logic to on what has been said on this thread. But I may be completely wrong.

Crossing your fingers, toes, and eyes is about all you can do at this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top