U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2015, 09:47 PM

1,322 posts, read 854,424 times

Advertisements

UBER has a good rep in other cities. Let's see how they do in LV before we condemn them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 09:49 PM

3,574 posts, read 4,164,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
LOL...you guys have soooo much invested in this don't you? Your analogies are hilarious as they are silly.

Uber won't last.
The only thing I have invested is a need for a reliable, consistently high-rated car service to actually pick me up in the suburbs. If Uber doesn't last because they are beaten out by competitors who do it better, I'd be happy to see Uber disappear.

No mention of Lyft? Are they "evil bullies" too?

Old 09-12-2015, 10:04 PM

206 posts, read 147,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
The only thing I have invested is a need for a reliable, consistently high-rated car service to actually pick me up in the suburbs. If Uber doesn't last because they are beaten out by competitors who do it better, I'd be happy to see Uber disappear.

No mention of Lyft? Are they "evil bullies" too?
It depends if you like Ali Baba and Carl Icahn. But I'd bet most uber cheerleaders do see Goldman Sachs as a bully.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:20 AM

5,314 posts, read 6,293,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
So, when UBER finally screws enough of you, you will call for oversight and then they will be forced to become like every other cab company that you all despise...I'll sit back and laugh at the whole process.

It's just like people who screw up where they live believing that if they move to a better place their lives will be better...only to find out that they brought their screwed up ways with them....so they gotta move again.
Out of curiosity, how will Uber screw us?

Just an FYI, I had posted about a bad experience with an Uber driver somewhere in this thread, I think. It boiled down to him not understanding English (not unlike many cab drivers), and cancelling my call. Due to the time delay of dealing with him, surge rate went into affect, tripling the fare of of my ride.

A few days ago, I was checking my app to see if Uber was available yet here. While looking through my ride history, I saw that cancelled ride, so used the option to rate the driver. In the comments section, I explained exactly what had happened. I got an email within half an our from Uber support, stating they were credited my account for the entire surge charge, about $45. Within 10 minutes my PayPal balance reflected that.

Overall, I don't see a problem with the company at all. I also don't think they have the capacity to "screw us", as you know exactly what to expect before you step foot in a car. Unlike a cab (which I also don't mind taking for short trips), where you have no idea what the final bill is going to be until you step OUT of the cab.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:14 PM

Uber doesn't want your $45. Uber wants your life savings. Along with Goldman Sachs, uber wants only to do an IPO. This the classic pump and dump. Uber is already over valued at a ridiculous $52bil. For arguments sake the ipo price will be $20 mom and pop investors most notably union managed retirement will buy at the first chance they can get in at a price of $40 or so. After the lockup period thieving kalanick and Goldman Sachs will dump their shares and the price will plummet. By the way, you do know before uber kalanick sold stolen music and movies under the guise of file sharing.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:33 PM

10,869 posts, read 14,213,892 times
You're sounding just like our resident "new screen name every day" chap....

Old 09-13-2015, 12:49 PM

2,435 posts, read 2,421,262 times
Tesla is valued higher than a lot of older auto manufacturers, even though last year they only sold 70k cars. It's because investors have a belief that the company will DO much more and revolutionize the entire industry. Same goes for Uber, it's valued that high because it's a disruptive game changer for transportation across the globe.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:00 PM

784 posts, read 1,546,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqibbcakes View Post
Uber doesn't want your $45. Uber wants your life savings. Along with Goldman Sachs, uber wants only to do an IPO. This the classic pump and dump. Uber is already over valued at a ridiculous $52bil. For arguments sake the ipo price will be $20 mom and pop investors most notably union managed retirement will buy at the first chance they can get in at a price of $40 or so. After the lockup period thieving kalanick and Goldman Sachs will dump their shares and the price will plummet. By the way, you do know before uber kalanick sold stolen music and movies under the guise of file sharing.
What does any of this have to do with whether or not Uber should be allowed to operate in Las Vegas?

No one here is touting Uber as an investment anyway, at least that I'm aware of. Besides, all investors (big and small) should do their due diligence before investing in any company. Further, no investment is risk-free.

Ultimately, Uber will succeed or fail based upon the service they provide, not their stock price. Should they fail, Lyft and others will take their place. Either way, the most important thing here is that the monopoly is broken up. The consumer wins when there's competition and is given a choice.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:01 PM

4,506 posts, read 5,474,721 times
Some people can't see the forest through the trees!

Let's hope you don't get injured in an UBER car accident.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:17 PM

Trust me, I welcome uber and the rest with open arms. But I also feel drivers should have FBI background checks, pre employment drug and alcohol screening, yearly DOT physicals, and gap commercial insurance. Uber is playing the same game they did when they sold stolen music and videos. Uber is a transportation company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or