U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2015, 01:17 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,752,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Some people can't see the forest through the trees!

Let's hope you don't get injured in an UBER car accident.
I don't see a problem. When in a Uber car there is a standard 1 million commercial policy.

There is the question for an Uber driver when not with a passenger. Allstate and others are offering a suitable policy extension inexpensively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 01:21 PM

784 posts, read 1,546,715 times
Quote:

Bullies, bad investment, accidents.

You're right, some people can't see the forest through the trees. There are about 3 or 4 people on this thread who offer nothing but scare tactics hoping to preserve the status quo.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:30 PM

206 posts, read 147,519 times
Shouldn't these "ride sharing" companies be held to the same standards as the rest of commercial driving enterprises? Don't you call a company that provides work, vehicles, financing, insurance, and paychecks an employer? I, and most others do.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:34 PM

Matter of fact, thinking about it, realtors should also be required to carry commercial gap insurance.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:34 PM

799 posts, read 512,815 times
Quote:

You seem to think the average consumer doesn't know how to drive, and that driving is some mysteriously difficult activity. You have a risk anytime you get in a car, whether self driven, uber driver, or cab driver. Some of the worst drivers of any car I've been in, were "professional" cab drivers. This is a pretty low worry for me anyway.

Personally, I've got nothing against cab drivers. But I'm strongly in favor of any and all options. It seems the Las Vegas cab business has chosen to mostly ignore anywhere but the strip and the airport. It seems the Uber/Lyft business model would bring the consumer this option in a pretty large area that is not being served. I am in favor of the consumer having options, so I see Uber/Lyft as a very positive thing.

It really doesn't seem like the cab companies (in LV anyway) are in too much danger from Uber/Lyft. Maybe it will force them to change their business practices, but all that will do is increase the options even more. Once again, something I personally favor. There really is not much downside to the whole thing.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqibbcakes View Post
Shouldn't these "ride sharing" companies be held to the same standards as the rest of commercial driving enterprises? Don't you call a company that provides work, vehicles, financing, insurance, and paychecks an employer? I, and most others do.
They well may be an employer - being litigated. The standard they meet is set by statute and regulation. I would think you can go ahead and lobby to get that changed if not sufficient. I believe there are already some attempts to do that in the 2017 legislature.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:44 PM

So on his way to pick up, a ride sharing driver has a stroke, passes out whatever and kills 14 people in front of the Bellagio. This is something that probably could be prevented, so who is liable?

Old 09-13-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqibbcakes View Post
So on his way to pick up, a ride sharing driver has a stroke, passes out whatever and kills 14 people in front of the Bellagio. This is something that probably could be prevented, so who is liable?
The drivers insurance company. Uber would certainly get sued as well.

Turn it around however. I have a stroke on the way to pick up my grandchildren at the Stratpsphere. I mow down the same 14 people. Who is liable?

Why is it different? The estates of the dead would likely make out if it is me as I have a large blanket policy.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:54 PM

Wow! You really don't see a difference between private and commercial use of a vehicle. The drivers minimum liability insurance is not enough. Charles Manson never killed anyone, did he?

Old 09-13-2015, 01:58 PM

4,506 posts, read 5,474,721 times
The difference is the insurance policy. There have been cases denied because the UBER driver was conducting a livery business on personal insurance. Then there's the issue of them being commercial or personal simply by whether the app was logged into or not.

UBER is doing nothing but skirting regulations to the detriment of public safety.

I'm no fan of the Taxi companies in LV either, but allowing some rogue company come in to shake things up is a lazy and dangerous thing. There are far better ways to change the cab companies in LV...the people here that hate them have admitted in many other threads to being too lazy to take the necessary steps to fix the problems.

Then there are our resident complainers that just complain about everything and will never be happy...

For what it's worth ACTUAL LICENSED cab drivers in LV take a class by the TA and in most other companies have to attend classes as well before hitting the road...UBER has neither.

Cab companies have regulations they must adhere to...cleaning bodily fluids from the cars for instance...UBER drivers wipe up with a towel and go...cabs must be professionally cleaned and sanitized. It's treated as a HAZMAT situation....I'll bet you didn't know THAT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or