Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2017, 02:08 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,082,692 times

Advertisements

There is so much crap in here I need hip waders.

Since I am not doing only lyft, I have other income and on that income I pay taxes. Between those taxes and my 2 write offs (my kids) I actually got a little back last year including the lyft income.

This year I am only driving lyft 6 months total. The rest of my income will come from a job where I pay taxes.
I don't need to file quarterly. We get our earnings statement once a year and we file it just like you do a w2. If I didn't have the kids, I would absolutely have to be putting money aside for taxes. But since I have them, I am fine.

And yes, I would be paying for my van and insurance no matter what. I chose a van because I need to haul materials and my welding equipment as well as my family. If I was buying a vehicle just for lyft I would have either gotten a Prius or a base model Dodge Caravan.

To date my wear and tear on the van has cost me 44 dollars. 2 oil changes.

Brakes are cheap on this thing and I do the work myself.

High mileage tires are about 350 for the set and will last every bit of 2 years.

Everything else is covered under a 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty that I can extend if I want. It will be traded in or totaled long before it hits 100k miles.

So I need no vehicle replacement fund.

I WISH healthcare was only 150 a week. That would be fantastic. But, that has nothing to do with rideshare. Most jobs don't provide healthcare.
Healthcare for me is 800 a month with an 11,000 deductible aka not happening. That's 20,600 per year. If I didn't eat or have electricity I might be able to swing that, but here in reality it ain't happening.

My car insurance is 118 a month... Not even 30 a week.

I have roadside assistance and towing and rental in my insurance contract. I also have those things in my Honda Finance contract. I need no break down fund.

I have 2800 a month in bills and Lyft pays them. Based on your bs numbers, I'd be evicted, carless, and hungry. In reality, I am doing fine.

You say I'm making 304 a week or 1216 a month. LMAO. If I only made 1216 a month I would just kill myself. I damn sure wouldn't drive my 35k van for 1216 a month. Hell, I wouldn't even have a 35k van if I only made 1216 a month.

You're trying so hard and failing. You know cabs are the inferior service. You know it's dying. Deal with it and stop trying to slander the victor. If rideshare was so bad and cabs so great, you wouldn't be saying a word. You'd be raking in the money laughing at rideshare drivers sitting in loooong lines at every hotel hoping for a ride. But the inverse is true. Rideshare drivers are making 1,000-1500 a week and cab drivers can't even afford to take a cab.

Convention center to Encore has NEVER cost anyone 70 dollars. My HIGHEST ever fare was 75 dollars and it was from Fremont street down to Old Vegas trail with 250% prime. That's over 20 miles.

The highest prime I have seen is 300% and it was in a small area and lasted about 10 minutes.

Only a moron would actually take a cash ride with Uber or Lyft. Both companies have people offering cash to drivers to bust them. I watched it happen a couple times. One time this guy came up and acted drunk and asked me to take him to the Stratosphere from the Linq. Said his phone was dead but he had 20 cash.
I said no thanks. He went up to the next driver in line and got in. A few minutes later the guy got out, wrote down the guys tag number, made a call, and the driver left.
Seen the same guy do it again at Caesars a week later.

If I make 1100 in a week, 800 goes to me and my needs. That is after gas and expenses. My van is thirsty. I spent a lot less when I did lyft in the Versa. In a Prius I'd only spend 200 a month in gas or 50 a week. Without kids and with a Prius, paying taxes on the lyft income, I'd still be netting 800 a week.

And yeah, we pay tax on our in app tips. I'm not reporting cash tips. Uncle Sam gets enough from me as it is.

We also get to write off .55 per mile we drive and Lyft is kind enough to track our mileage for us.

According to several posters on lyft/uber pages, with the write offs they didn't have to pay anything in taxes.

Your fear mongering is daft and hilarious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 12:04 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,347,134 times
I know for Uber vans pay better for the driver is that also true for Lyft?

Cabs are "inferior" because they currently charge more. Don't think the future for ride sharing looks bright since they are deep in the whole and can't turn a profit

Old 06-14-2017, 12:46 PM
EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
I know for Uber vans pay better for the driver is that also true for Lyft?

Cabs are "inferior" because they currently charge more. Don't think the future for ride sharing looks bright since they are deep in the whole and can't turn a profit

Yes, Lyft has Plus for 5-7 passengers that pays a bit more than double.

As I mentioned, Lyft and Uber are competing for total market share and lowering their prices too much for their own good. But it's also getting more and more popular. They spend A LOT on promotion to get the word out. They're also developing new things, working new deals, and expanding into new markets.

Lyft is superior to cabs for hundreds of reason. First and foremost is accountability.
Every lyft and Uber driver gets rated by passengers. A bad Lyft or Uber driver doesn't drive very long.
If I haul ass down the road, long haul, drive erratically, smell bad, do anything rude or unbecoming, I get down rated rapidly. This makes me drive like a sane person. Be personable. Be clean. Go the correct way to every place. And just provide good service.

A cab on the other hand, 99 times out of 100 the rider doesn't even know what cab company he is in, let alone the driver. There's no real way to report bad behavior which is why they get away with screwing people so often. This isn't even my opinion, there's studies on Las Vegas cabs that prove they screw passengers over to the tune of many millions of dollars a year.

I hear nothing but horror stories about people's experience with cab drivers. Rude, threats over tips, crazy driving, long hauling. I don't see many loaded cabs leaving the airport down Swenson because they're all tunneling people.

Another thing is Uber and Lyft are cashless. Protects the drivers from robbery and theft. If passenger runs out of a cab (I had that happen a couple times) it comes out of the drivers pocket.
If Lyft passenger runs out, I end the ride, make a note about it to lyft, and still get paid.

If someone maxed out their credit card and takes a lyft, I still get paid.
Cab driver is sol.

On top of all that, Lyfts are far cheaper than cabs.

Even better, Lyft and Uber service the entire city, not just the strip, which means locals can actually get a ride. Most people wait less than 10 minutes for a lyft to show up.
Most people can't even get a cab to their house. If they do, they have to wait obscene amounts of time.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:17 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,786,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie1 View Post
How does undercharging hurt Lyft? You can run the entire company with an iPhone and rented servers.

You could stay home and make $410.00/wk which is more than your making working.
How do you make $410/w staying at home?

Old 06-14-2017, 03:19 PM
EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
How do you make $410/w staying at home?

Unemployment, which only lasts a few months. Not a whole lot of critical thinking happening on his part.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:11 PM
EA

Every driver is screened for criminal offenses and driving incidents. Lyft’s criminal background check is provided by a third party and includes national and county-level databases, and when necessary, local courthouse record checks stretching back a minimum of 7 years for review of convictions in California, and longer in some other jurisdictions. You will be ineligible to drive on the Lyft platform if, among other things, the background check results reveal:
  • A violent crime
  • A felony
  • A drug-related offense
  • A sexual offense
  • Certain theft or property damage offenses
In New York City, DMV and criminal background checks are conducted by the Taxi and Limousine Commission (TLC) according to their licensing standards, instead of through Lyft.
More restrictive standards may apply based on local requirements specific to ridesharing. Lyft reserves the right to disqualify a driver at any time should either their driving record or background check reveal any of the above items, or for any other safety-related reason at Lyft’s discretion.
If you do not pass your background check, you'll receive a copy via email and instructions for how to contest the results.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:19 PM
EA

I didn't get fingerprinted when I became a cab driver....

Old 06-14-2017, 04:22 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,786,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Unemployment, which only lasts a few months. Not a whole lot of critical thinking happening on his part.
Oh I thought when he said "make" I assumed it was "work for".

Old 06-15-2017, 06:39 AM

359 posts, read 359,039 times
wow

Old 06-15-2017, 08:05 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,347,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I was never fingerprinted by the cab authority. They had some guy run a background check online while I was standing there at the testing facility.

But I don't give a damn if Lyft and Uber want to do a fingerprint background. I'll pass that too. If they want to unseal my childhood records, I'll still pass because there's nothing there either.

Half the cab drivers come from countries too poor to afford ink to fingerprint anyone let alone keep good records. I could probably go to Ethiopia, murder 75 people, confess to the police, escape prison, and become a Vegas Cab driver without a problem.
I agree with most of your posts but on this one you're full of it. Taxi drivers DO initially get fingerprinted by the TA (you probably forgot) and their background check is an FBI check which is way better. Your comment about murdering people and driving a cab is completely unreal and that can be more likely with rideshare drivers than cab drivers and you know it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada