Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2017, 06:03 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times

Advertisements

And like the movie monster that just won't die, the taxi cab mafia rears its ugly head yet again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 06:52 PM

698 posts, read 985,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Despite the ceo, it's still a fantastic service. Uber and Lyft are needed. I take people to work, school, the hospital, and home from the bar or club when they are too drunk to drive. All things the cabs won't do and if they do, they charge three times more money, and have no accountability.
Couldn't agree more. When I used to visit here can't tell you how many times I was ripped off by a cab driver. Last year I had four people in town for business staying on the strip, 3/4 got long hauled, 3/4 folks.

Prior to Uber/Lyft coming to town we'd have to get a limo if we wanted to have a few cocktails at home and then move the party to the strip because 1) cab wouldn't come out to where we live (89131) 2) if they would come out the cost came out to about as much as a limo so why not pay a little more and get the limo.

The other day we took either Uber or Lyft to Fremont Street and my fare was $25, $25! We'll be drinking downtown this weekend, we'll be taking Uber home vs. someone having to serve as the designated driver, dealing with parking, traffic etc. For $25 or so leave the driving to someone else.

I take Uber/Lyft everywhere I go, NY, San Fran, SLC, Washington etc. on all my business trips. Love it and hope they stay! Out of probably the hundred or so rides I've taken I've only had one bad experience; driver in NY who I'd hired to take me to JFK actually asked me if I new the address to JFK, she'd never been there before LOL. Had her pull over and I got another car. Seems like most cab drivers I would get here in Vegas were major dicks.

Last edited by qingguy; 06-01-2017 at 08:12 PM..

Old 06-01-2017, 07:50 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,115,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
What taxi company are you talking about? Whittlesea? Henderson? gypsy?

I worked for Whittlesea and Hnderson. But ALL the cab drivers do the same scams. I've picked up quite a few cab drivers (Even they won't take a cab)

It took me a while to learn the town and hours enough to get up to 1k a week. You could easily spend 60 hours at the wrong times and make 200.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:00 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,388,720 times
ALERT!

Uber is a ponzi scheme.... ""It's constantly losing money, and its capital-raising strategy is a ponzi scheme," "

""When I look at Uber … I think of it as one of the most stupid investments in history," the Australian Financial Review reported him as saying. "The probability of this business going bankrupt in a decade is 99%."

Australian who runs $37 billion fund calls Uber a 'ponzi scheme' - Business Insider

Old 06-01-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
I worked for Whittlesea and Hnderson. But ALL the cab drivers do the same scams. I've picked up quite a few cab drivers (Even they won't take a cab)

It took me a while to learn the town and hours enough to get up to 1k a week. You could easily spend 60 hours at the wrong times and make 200.
so, if you were to work what is considered full time of 40 hours what would you say you average for take home money?

I don't think either company offers health insurance .....

Old 06-01-2017, 09:51 PM
EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
so, if you were to work what is considered full time of 40 hours what would you say you average for take home money?

I don't think either company offers health insurance .....

40 hours is usually 700-800.

Most companies these days don't offer healthcare, and the ones that do, usually offer crap that isn't any good anyway.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
40 hours is usually 700-800.

Most companies these days don't offer healthcare, and the ones that do, usually offer crap that isn't any good anyway.
Not saying that you're not right, but I hear that drivers can't make it with these small fares of under $10.

Those figures that you quoted must mean lots of rides

Old 06-01-2017, 11:12 PM
EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Not saying that you're not right, but I hear that drivers can't make it with these small fares of under $10.

Those figures that you quoted must mean lots of rides
Yeah, a lot of rides. You have to work when there's rides, not when it's convenient for you.
I usually make in tips what lyft takes out in fees. BUT, there are some weeks where it's just dead out there and you'll be lucky to make 500.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:01 AM

120 posts, read 175,460 times
Quote:
You have to hustle, that's for sure, but it sure beats minimum wage. If they do fingerprint background checks, I'm not worried at all. If it takes drivers off the road? Cool with me. It is a bit saturated.
I would definitely like to see some changes in the pay structure. They're not even charging enough to make themselves profitable. People would gladly pay a bit more and it would still be a lot cheaper than a cab.

This looks like a lot of hours, and it is, but I take 1-2 week days off, and work longer on the weekends when there's money to be made. But there is a lot of freedom. Some of those hours I am at my house watching videos until I get a ping. I get to eat whenever I want for as long as I want. I can start and quit when I want. You do rack up the miles, but it's great for people like me that do construction and get laid off a lot between projects. If not for lyft, I'd be making a measly 417 a week on unemployment.

What is your NET pay?

Old 06-12-2017, 12:09 PM
EA

I actually had state farm up until Saturday. They do not offer rideshare. Those insurance companies only offer rideshare in other states, not NV. I know because I asked them when I was shopping around when I started driving back in August.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada