U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 02:23 PM

2,683 posts, read 2,088,170 times

Advertisements

After kicking it around and reading a little more about it online I found out that it is illegal to obstruct the mail of a prior tenant from reaching its destination.

So I decided the best thing to do was to write on the actual paper bill in big black marker over our address and under her name, "Wrong Address." That way she couldn't use the utility bill as proof of residence if they forward it on to her. Then I taped the envelope back up with the bill inside and marked a diagonal line across the address window and wrote on the front of the envelope, "Return to Sender. Not at this Address."

When it was ready to go I went directly to the post office and dropped it inside their mailbox so it would get where ever it's going more quickly. She has a little over a week to get her bill before it's due. If it goes back to NV Energy at least their billing office will have the physical record of the error, in addition to my phone call notifying them about it, and they'll have this follow up chance to rectify it.

Hopefully we don't get another utility bill for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 03:43 PM

While I was gone for two months we got another one of that lady's utility bills sent to our address. Since I was gone my husband didn't do any with it and left it for me to deal with. So it sat here for awhile. I think maybe she called and fixed it with them because I just got the latest utility bill in the mail and this time her's didn't come with mine.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:17 PM

I spoke too soon. We just got their NV Energy bill and my husband opened it by accident. It's up to $675. They're not paying their bill. It's a different service address but we're still getting their bill at our address. I've already contacted the energy company about this prior and did the "return to sender" for the bills. Nobody has fixed the problem of their bill still coming to our address!

Old 08-28-2015, 10:26 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,740,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
I spoke too soon. We just got their NV Energy bill and my husband opened it by accident. It's up to $675. They're not paying their bill. It's a different service address but we're still getting their bill at our address. I've already contacted the energy company about this prior and did the "return to sender" for the bills. Nobody has fixed the problem of their bill still coming to our address!
You might want to just drop by their office at Charleston and Valley View and see if you can get someone to fix it. All the right people are in that building...you like adventures...

Old 08-28-2015, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
You might want to just drop by their office at Charleston and Valley View and see if you can get someone to fix it. All the right people are in that building...you like adventures...
I'm frustrated with them. Why can't they get it right the first few times and fix it already?

Old 08-29-2015, 05:35 AM

2,616 posts, read 2,695,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
NV Energy's main office is on West Sahara and Jones, the Las Vegas Valley Water District is on Charleston and Valley View.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:55 AM

12,973 posts, read 12,740,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
NV Energy's main office is on West Sahara and Jones, the Las Vegas Valley Water District is on Charleston and Valley View.
Thanks - used to go to meetings at both and mixed them up.

Old 08-29-2015, 11:36 AM

I contacted them again. They made another note of it in their system and told me to "Return to Sender". I explained I've done that twice and this will be the third time. They said they can't change a person's billing address without getting a change of address from them.

What can I do? I've been getting this person's mail since we moved here and I want to be done with it all. I'm worried they're using my address for official purposes and fraud.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:17 PM

28,143 posts, read 39,764,413 times
I don't know if it will help, but you might try placing a note on the door of your mailbox

Postman (woman/person)

(Persons name) no longer resides at this address please stop leaving their mail in my mailbox.

Thank you.

Edit: I noticed in an earlier post that there is a separate service address. You might consider adding that to the note.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 08-29-2015 at 12:28 PM..

Old 08-29-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I don't know if it will help, but you might try placing a note on the door of your mailbox

Postman (woman/person)

(Persons name) no longer resides at this address please stop leaving their mail in my mailbox.

Thank you.

Edit: I noticed in an earlier post that there is a separate service address. You might consider adding that to the note.
Thanks, I will give it a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or