Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2015, 09:49 AM

638 posts, read 593,525 times

Advertisements

I gather there seem to be a lot of these rebates floating around from NV Energy. I just was emailed one offering me a $250 rebate if I installed a variable speed pool pump, obviously installed by someone on their approved list....

I'm just wondering if these things in general actually stack up? Are the installers prices padded because they're on the list? Will I find that if I went to a load of people not on their list that I'll find the installation is actually $400 less?

Has anyone here moved from an old pool pump to a variable speed, if so, what sort of difference in the power bills were seen?

My pumps are OLD but working fine...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 10:59 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,856,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
I gather there seem to be a lot of these rebates floating around from NV Energy. I just was emailed one offering me a $250 rebate if I installed a variable speed pool pump, obviously installed by someone on their approved list....

I'm just wondering if these things in general actually stack up? Are the installers prices padded because they're on the list? Will I find that if I went to a load of people not on their list that I'll find the installation is actually $400 less?

Has anyone here moved from an old pool pump to a variable speed, if so, what sort of difference in the power bills were seen?

My pumps are OLD but working fine...
It's pretty hard to pay less than NPS would charge your for the installed pump, unless you did the install yourself. The prices aren't padded. I'm assuming you aren't in town, otherwise you could just walk into the store and determine this yourself?

The energy savings from a variable speed pool pump are well documented. You can figure 70-75% savings easily. This is done by halving the speed you run the pump and running it twice as long. The reason your savings are more than 1/2 is because the backpressure from the filter and friction in the lines is much less when you lower the flow. If you reduce your speed and run time to the point where you get a single turn of the water per day, you can probably save even more.

If you have solar heating or water features, you may not be able to run at low speeds, or at least not all the time, so your savings would be less.

I turn my water more than once per day during the summer. I estimate I went from about $110 to $30 per month spent to run the pool pump. The variable speed pump is also much quieter when running at lower speeds, about as loud as an aquarium pump.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:30 AM

638 posts, read 593,525 times
Very insightful thanks.

Indeed, I'm not in town. I do have someone I'd trust to do the I wall, but he's not on the NV Energy list...

Old 08-10-2015, 11:40 AM

550 posts, read 637,339 times
NV Energy Pool Rebate Information:

https://nvenergy.com/home/saveenergy.../poolpumps.cfm

Old 08-10-2015, 12:46 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,070,939 times
As MBA said, a variable speed pump is a complete no brainer. I suspect I've been saving around $50 per month since it was installed. On top of that, they are much quieter, nearly silent on the normal run speed. I assume it will last longer since it doesn't run nearly as hot as my old pump.

The install on the pump is fairly simple. When they are replacing an old pump it's pretty much take the old one out, put the new one in and use all the old connection points. If you have a pool automation system then it can be more complex and may require additional cables/parts to interface to the automation system.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:01 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,635,132 times
The Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed High Performance Pool Pump is $870 online
I assume there gonna tack a $250 install fee on that, so you pay $870 'after' rebate

Jonathan

Old 08-10-2015, 04:01 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,856,709 times
I paid $150 for NPS to install my variable-speed pump. This was probably 8+ years ago.

I don't think $150 was too much to pay. Having a plumber do it would have costed more. There is 220V electrical to hook up (he installed a new piece of conduit), plus he had to fabricate a couple fittings to make the pump fit (no unions in my plumbing). He was probably on site for at least an hour, since he had to wait for the glue to so he could pressure test the whole thing.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:06 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,708,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
I paid $150 for NPS to install my variable-speed pump. This was probably 8+ years ago.

I don't think $150 was too much to pay. Having a plumber do it would have costed more. There is 220V electrical to hook up (he installed a new piece of conduit), plus he had to fabricate a couple fittings to make the pump fit (no unions in my plumbing). He was probably on site for at least an hour, since he had to wait for the glue to so he could pressure test the whole thing.
$150 is the going rate to install a pump including parts and labor. Pump also needs to be calibrated and paper work filled out so the rebates can be claimed by the installing company.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:26 AM

687 posts, read 4,404,206 times
I installed one for some friends last summer, bought it out of Phoenix and paid something around 450 for it, that included shipping.
If you can install it yourself, you will save way more than the rebate you would get back from NV Energy.

It was not a Pentair brand, it was a Hayward and as far as reliability, its holding up great.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:16 PM

243 posts, read 237,962 times
NV energy rebate was built into the retail price for a Pentair multi-speed pump. That was about one year ago for a previous house and the same policy this year on my new home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada