Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2015, 11:03 PM

2 posts, read 5,600 times

Advertisements

hello everyone. thank you for taking the time to help me out I've been searching for months on here for the answer going through all the different state forums.

I am searching for a state that best suits me and my families needs.
currently I live in las vegas Nevada originally from southern California. Dont get me wrong I should give a full write up on las vegas since I've been here since 1999 lol

please be kind and courteous when replying and again I've searched this forum a lot and have NOT found what I'm looking for yet.

after I read all the recommendations, I will talk to my wife and spend a week in the state and city recommended
but I can't pick multiple places to visit otherwise I'd be broke lol

so heres what I'm looking for:

we are non denominational Christians and this is very important to us as we are active in our church and community (not Bible pushers we respect everyone's beliefs)

we are a bit racial couple I'm middle Eastern and my wife is Russian/Mexican so somewhere not racial discrimating would be great (vegas is like that sadly)

we have farm animals and would like to find a city and state that can comfortably have sheep, rabbits, chickens and our mastiffs lol

a place that has a very good amount of rain so I can feed my sheep off pasture if I can because vegas gets barely anything lol 6 inches of rain a year isn't enough lol

a city and state that has a population of 1,000,000 or less would love a small town but it has to have Kroger/smiths, target, Walmart, movie theater, a few places to go out and eat and very good hospitals. schools don't matter because we are homeschooling we have 1 new born 4 months old so far

a truly family/friendly town that is just awesome lol really want an active community where the neighbors talk to the other neighbors

also pretty good job growth my wife is a pharmacist and I am a diesel mechanic

a nice rural community looking for a big 1 story home with a 1 acre backyard zoned for farm animals for around $200,000 this is ideally what I would like to find

I truly appreciate all the kind and generous replies in advanced and thank you for your time and wisdom/experience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 11:05 PM

2 posts, read 5,600 times
meant to say inter racial couple sorry for the typo lol

Old 12-15-2015, 12:49 PM

3,719 posts, read 14,669,108 times
If you want to stay in Nevada, check out Elko - a town of about 15,000 people. I don't know what the rainfall is like, but it's much more greener than Las Vegas!

The town has a Raley's and Albertsons supermarkets, 6 screen cinema, Walmart super store, Sears, Pennys, Home Depot, Kmart (but no Target) and other stores.

It does get cold there in the winter with snow. Also nearby is Spring Creek, a housing developement with mostly one story homes in your price range on "ranchettes" of one or two acres. Some people keep horses on their property. The bad news is they have a HOA Spring Creek Association in Spring Creek, Nv

Nearby are the Ruby Mountains if you like camping, backpacking and fishing. HIKING THE RUBY MOUNTAINS

Old 01-08-2016, 01:53 AM

2 posts, read 4,951 times
You could try Kuna, Idaho or Milford, Iowa. I've lived in both places. Very versatile, very friendly. Also very accommodating to what you are looking for. Good luck in your adventure!

Old 01-21-2016, 11:47 AM

37 posts, read 66,301 times
Riverside County look into Lake Elsinore. For work she can work from Temecula to Corona and for you the Ontario airport is about 45 minutes away and the heart of trucking is there for getting all the goods shipped out. Temecula area is as close to a bible thumping area as you can get. Also, north Houston. I lived in both. Lake Elsinore was great. It is a little bit country and a little bit city. Costco, Starbuck and open areas too for livestock in certain areas.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:49 AM

2 posts, read 4,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfarm View Post
Riverside County look into Lake Elsinore. For work she can work from Temecula to Corona and for you the Ontario airport is about 45 minutes away and the heart of trucking is there for getting all the goods shipped out. Temecula area is as close to a bible thumping area as you can get. Also, north Houston. I lived in both. Lake Elsinore was great. It is a little bit country and a little bit city. Costco, Starbuck and open areas too for livestock in certain areas.

Lake Elsinore has its ups and downs, honestly. It's on the "cheaper" end of things being in the Inland Empire buuuuuutttt..... it smells absolutely horrid. We call it 'Lake Smell-sinore' for a reason. Some areas look desolate and perhaps like they should be leveled out, but again.. it really depends on the area. I remember back in the late 90's I hated driving around there. I thought I was going to break down and get jumped by a tweaker. However, I have some friends who live there who thoroughly enjoy it. Affordable as far as California's standards go. Good luck!

Old 02-10-2016, 12:59 PM

402 posts, read 1,521,555 times
Nevada is the driest state in the nation. You're not going to get lush green meadows near cities and amenities. Besides, I dont know of any municipality which allows that much livestock on small lots. I know here in Ely you'd need a vairiance to have chickens in city limits and sheep and goats are not allowed. The Elko area, specifically the outlining areas may fit your needs the most. Winnemucca may as well, and possibly Fernley/Fallon. Being a diesel mechanic is a good career for these areas due to mining, but mining is in a bit of a downturn at the moment due to falling commodities prices. Lots of mines are changing hands and/or reducing staffing at the moment.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:54 PM

294 posts, read 334,547 times
If you have to have a Target nearby, some less urban areas of Reno comes to mind maybe even Fernley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada