U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 07:11 PM

564 posts, read 293,488 times

Advertisements

How long is my new drivers license going to last? If over 65 can it be renewed by mail?

Any goofy gun laws as in Colorado? Can I give or sell one without going to a dealer? Here, I have three days to register a gun I'm simply giving to my wife or kid. Cost is around $30. Even ammo is a problem if I'm right. (Got a lifetime supply, so don't really know.)

What is the state sales tax? Nye county or Pahrump?

Are groceries taxed?

How about home owners insurance rates in Nye? Pretty normal or shockingly high?

How are cars brought into the state taxed?

Are car tags flat rate, based on MSRP? Tell me what you're tags cost for say a two or three year old car with MSRP of around 50k. (When we left Maryland you could renew a Rolls for $40. DW's 2013 Expedition is almost 800 here in Colorado.)

Can you think of any surprises that we'll encounter, good or bad? We welcome your thoughts.

We're looking at Pahrump initially, primarily for its size, yet proximity to LV. Gotta have space, neighbors few and far between if possible for privacy. But safety is a concern. I'd hate to have to, well, let's just say, I'm concerned for the safety of punks.

Finally, opinions on having our own small in ground swimming pool. Our Phoenix kids have one and advise against it. Our California kids have one and like it. We've never had one, but it's on our list. (So was a foreign convertible sports car. Lasted less than a year. Pool would be hard to pack up and sell.)

Thanks a bunch for anything you all can kick in.

Last edited by cekkk; 07-28-2016 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: Omission
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 08:12 PM

12 posts, read 10,878 times
Too lazy to Google?

Old 07-28-2016, 10:44 PM

2,185 posts, read 2,954,419 times
Nevada DMV Guide - DMV.org: The NV DMV Made Simple

nye county sales tax = 7.6%

yes, groceriers are taxed

home owners insurance = ~$1200/yr for a ~2000 sq ft stick built home on an acre

Old 07-29-2016, 01:47 PM

gun laws

Nevada Carry - Home
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Nevada
https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/nevada/

Old 07-29-2016, 05:42 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,588,739 times
Pertaining to driver license renewal, it's my understanding that starting at age 65, renewals are required every four years but starting at age 71, one is required to renew at a DMV office unless they can mail in with their renewal fees a doctor's note saying they are physically fit to drive and also a vision screening report included in that documentation. Otherwise, the examiners at the DMV evidently give you a subjective okay when renewing in person ...the NRS is stated this way:

If the Administrator or his or her authorized agent has reason to believe that the licensee is no longer qualified to receive a license because of the licensee’s physical condition, the Department may require that the applicant submit to an examination pursuant to the provisions of NRS 483.330. The age of a licensee, by itself, does not constitute grounds for requiring an examination of driving qualifications.

(from NRS 483.384.4)

Old 07-29-2016, 05:57 PM

Pertaining to registration fees, the Nevada DMV puts out an excellent interactive online tool for registrations fees. Go here:

State of Nevada Vehicle Registration Fee Estimation

(you don't have to use a VIN)

I quickly put in your info ...2013, MSRP of 50K in Nye county and came up with the estimate of $559

As a comparison, in Clark county (Las Vegas) the same vehicle would be $690. As you might imagine, the savings to register a 300k RV, as an example, is significant.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise2 View Post
Too lazy to Google?
Having problems? Unhappy with the way you've screwed up your life? Get help.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:48 PM

Thanks for the responses, most of them.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
Nevada DMV Guide - DMV.org: The NV DMV Made Simple

nye county sales tax = 7.6%

yes, groceriers are taxed

home owners insurance = ~$1200/yr for a ~2000 sq ft stick built home on an acre
Hi cre8lite *waves*

Is the tax on food/groceries something new?

Old 07-30-2016, 03:43 PM

omg, i just noticed i completely botched "groceries" i swear i know how to spell!

when i answered cekkk's question, i had pulled out a random receipt from the local grocery store & yes i had been taxed. i didn't bother to look at what i had purchased, just if i had paid tax. but now that poopskooper (hi!) is checking on me, i pulled out other receipts. the one & only one that i got taxed on i had purchased a stinking magazine, which i WAS taxed on. on all the other receipts that had just plain old food, no i was not taxed on. obviously answering questions & spelling before bedtime is not a good idea for me

good catch poopskooper!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or