Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 11:13 PM

151 posts, read 705,236 times

Advertisements

Hopefully all of your good advice will be helpful to other readers...Kimos seems to have disappeared
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 07:45 AM

34 posts, read 116,925 times
I found Nature Guy's description of Carson City interesting, as I have heard before that it is something like "Reno's uglier little brother".

I am currently evaluating Incline Village, up by the lake, but have problems assessing how much you need to earn to make a living there (without buying a house, which would be insane).

So who knows, maybe in the end we'll have to "settle" for Carson City instead, which, however, would not be so bad if we stay in the western area apparently...

Old 12-12-2008, 10:49 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,942,550 times
nature guy is not exactly accurate about carson, it does have gang problems not compared to reno but there is a problem there and there is a huge meth problem there. garnderville minden is only 15minutes from there. the town is always windy and i didnt like it very much. the traffic sucks, in carson city, i use to go from gardnerville to the college at the north end of town on the way toward reno and it would take me almost an hour to get there. the traffic at rush hours is awful to get through. i prefer g-ville or minden much more.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:25 AM

6 posts, read 30,267 times
Unhappy Relocating to Incline Village

My husband & I are relocating from California's central coast to a family vacation home in Incline Village in fall/winter '09.
We have spent summers there since 2002, but neither of us have EVER lived in the snow.We have elementary age-kids. My husband is a mortgage broker. Any advice from locals, etc. on preparing our family for the BEST chance of settling in happily/successfully to this community is very much appreciated.
Side note: we already have the house, 2 AWD SUVs, & know what summers are like, so our major concerns are - how to survive the winters sanely, what do folks do with themselves & their families during this cold season? How should we prepare?Thanks!!

Old 08-02-2009, 06:55 PM

38 posts, read 144,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6italian View Post
My husband & I are relocating from California's central coast to a family vacation home in Incline Village in fall/winter '09.
We have spent summers there since 2002, but neither of us have EVER lived in the snow.We have elementary age-kids. My husband is a mortgage broker. Any advice from locals, etc. on preparing our family for the BEST chance of settling in happily/successfully to this community is very much appreciated.
Side note: we already have the house, 2 AWD SUVs, & know what summers are like, so our major concerns are - how to survive the winters sanely, what do folks do with themselves & their families during this cold season? How should we prepare?Thanks!!
Buy a top quality snow blower! Buy chains for both cars AWD or not, you may need them to pass over the summits and you are required to carry them while going through chain Controls although I have never been asked to show them. You are moving in at a good time to get a feel for the winter, it will be cold and maybe a little snow on the ground so there will be no shock when winter really hits in January. Incliine Village is a beautiful place. There are plenty of things for the family to do, you cold shovel, go sledding, shovel, chop wood, shovel, stack wood, shovel, I'm sure you get the idea. Winter is the time of year where you spend the most time indoors and Summer is when you don't want to be indoors. I lived in South Lake for 20 years winters are beautiful.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,600 times
We are in the process of closing on a house in Incline Village. We will likely use it only for vacations for the next 5 or 6 years, but will eventually leave the midwest to retire there. I have lived a couple of years in Chicago and a few in Detroit, so I think I am ready for the snow, but just wondering how the folks that live there all the time deal with it. I am curious, just how soon does the snow start falling, and how much might I expect to see?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada