U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-18-2017, 08:03 PM
 
5,215 posts, read 5,776,781 times
Reputation: 5739

Advertisements

HOAs can be a hassle, yes, but no HOAs can be a bigger hassle. That means your neighbors may be able to do just about anything they feel like, including making the neighborhood ugly by putting up Confederate flags or a bunch of political signs all year around, regardless of elections occurring. A good HOA prohibits that kind of nonsense and keeps the neighborhood looking nice for all.

Coming from condo living with HOAs at $700+ per month, an HOA of a few hundred bucks is nothing. It's worth it usually for what is provided. Summerlin is a master planned community so it makes a lot of sense for them to have an HOA due that covers the beautifying of the whole area. I heard it was $85/month though not $45, but... either way.

I think having a gated community is worth some HOA dues personally, it's almost like additional insurance. I don't know why this said Summerlin vs. Henderson vs. North Las Vegas. Makes me chuckle. I must have talked to 15 locals while spending a week in Vegas and we talked about moving to Vegas, and every single one of them down to the last one said AVOID North Las Vegas *AT ALL COSTS*. They couldn't have worded it more strongly. Whenever I hear, "Oh but there are a few nice areas of North Las Vegas." Yeah... hahaha ok. I'm sure, that's great. There always are. I've heard the same thing about Portland. "Oh but Northest Portland is getting nice now, there are some million dollar homes!" There are, but you're also right next to some of the worst, most dangerous areas of the city. No thanks. Why?! Just no reason to consider a general area that has such awful places to be. Some of the worst crime in the United States, frankly. If you want a nice place to live, why would you choose a nice place in the middle of the ghetto when you could just choose a nice place in general, in the middle of other nice places?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-19-2017, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Paranoid State
13,047 posts, read 10,334,972 times
Reputation: 15671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
There is a bit of snob appeal in Summerlin...and that is actually a good thing in a city with as many trashy people as LV.
Wait. There are trashy people in LV?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2017, 12:20 PM
 
1,966 posts, read 1,152,156 times
Reputation: 1611
I suppose a square rainbow flag would be OK? We had a cat hoarder in our Summerlin condos. Thankfully, she was hit by a car crossing Lake Mead, otherwise the saga would have gone on and on. Her place sold right under 30k...at LA Posada. And then the idiots feeding the ferals in the park...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2017, 03:16 PM
 
12,434 posts, read 4,685,629 times
Reputation: 5501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
I suppose a square rainbow flag would be OK? We had a cat hoarder in our Summerlin condos. Thankfully, she was hit by a car crossing Lake Mead, otherwise the saga would have gone on and on. Her place sold right under 30k...at LA Posada. And then the idiots feeding the ferals in the park...
Actually a set of ferals around a complex is not a bad thing. Keeps rodents and pigeons under control. They need to be trapped and fixed but that is not all that hard if you have a couple of cat lovers around. We had a feral who lived on our patio for 12 years or so. missed her after she passed.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2017, 07:07 PM
 
44 posts, read 45,241 times
Reputation: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post

I think having a gated community is worth some HOA dues personally, it's almost like additional insurance. I don't know why this said Summerlin vs. Henderson vs. North Las Vegas. Makes me chuckle. I must have talked to 15 locals while spending a week in Vegas and we talked about moving to Vegas, and every single one of them down to the last one said AVOID North Las Vegas *AT ALL COSTS*. They couldn't have worded it more strongly. Whenever I hear, "Oh but there are a few nice areas of North Las Vegas." Yeah... hahaha ok. I'm sure, that's great. There always are. I've heard the same thing about Portland. "Oh but Northest Portland is getting nice now, there are some million dollar homes!" There are, but you're also right next to some of the worst, most dangerous areas of the city. No thanks. Why?! Just no reason to consider a general area that has such awful places to be. Some of the worst crime in the United States, frankly. If you want a nice place to live, why would you choose a nice place in the middle of the ghetto when you could just choose a nice place in general, in the middle of other nice places?
I mentioned N Las Vegas because a previous poster said by 215 was good. Looking at this https://spotcrime.com/nv/las+vegas
it does seem safe.

Probably because of the stigma attached you can get more house for your money there. For us it's closer to the Asian markets for my Thai wife.

Comments???

Thanks!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2017, 11:18 PM
 
11 posts, read 38,715 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
I pay 102 us per month for a 250 deductible and one million us in coverage from Tokio Marine, who bought Tokio Marine HCC | Specialty Insurance. it doesn't cover cancer. At 65, Medicare offers a fairly compelling reason to live in the US...Romney wanted vouchers, which would have saved billions...Iam more than 10 years from 65...and it still isn't nearly free, but coverage here gets pricey at 65-70....many simply pay cash. Coronary bypass surgery is about 2000 in India...less than a crown root canal in the US.
Thanks for letting me about Tokio Marine HCC. It's amazing that in India cost only 2000 for coronary bypass.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2017, 12:01 AM
 
11 posts, read 38,715 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
I suppose a square rainbow flag would be OK? We had a cat hoarder in our Summerlin condos. Thankfully, she was hit by a car crossing Lake Mead, otherwise the saga would have gone on and on. Her place sold right under 30k...at LA Posada. And then the idiots feeding the ferals in the park...
Can't find condos. under 30k anymore. I just looked at La Posada, one condo for sale right now for $157,000. We are looking for condo as our head quarter in LV or Henderson that reasonable price. If we can't find any we might just have to do without it. And take a chance in Thailand, if it doesn't work in Thailand, we have come back & start with an apartment again. We aren't sure that it's going to be a wise idea or not to buy condo in the US then leave it into Real Estate Agent's hand to manage for us. Any idea? Thanks
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2017, 01:45 PM
 
9 posts, read 5,587 times
Reputation: 19
Hi there! I'm in real estate and have some insight to offer you.. If you like entertainment, shopping and walking trails..I recommend living in Summerlin area. I lived in Peccole Ranch, a huge park that lives between neighborhoods and is quite private despite being so large. It's kind of hidden between streets and is really charming. You will definitely find houses there in your price range, even less. Right now the insight is that for houses listed in the mid 200s, you have to pull the trigger on making a well-received offer. They are being scooped up FAST! like 24 hours fast. Higher budgets, there is a little more time. I currently live in the northwest and I am LOVING it.. there are lots of parks and really new shopping and things to do. If I were in the market, I would be shopping there now.. because it's like a hidden gem. However, summerlin location is probably closer to the Strip if you have any interest. I hope that helps!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2017, 06:51 PM
 
44 posts, read 45,241 times
Reputation: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymom31 View Post
Hi there! I'm in real estate and have some insight to offer you.. If you like entertainment, shopping and walking trails..I recommend living in Summerlin area. I lived in Peccole Ranch, a huge park that lives between neighborhoods and is quite private despite being so large. It's kind of hidden between streets and is really charming. You will definitely find houses there in your price range, even less. Right now the insight is that for houses listed in the mid 200s, you have to pull the trigger on making a well-received offer. They are being scooped up FAST! like 24 hours fast. Higher budgets, there is a little more time. I currently live in the northwest and I am LOVING it.. there are lots of parks and really new shopping and things to do. If I were in the market, I would be shopping there now.. because it's like a hidden gem. However, summerlin location is probably closer to the Strip if you have any interest. I hope that helps!
Thanks for the info!! It does help!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2017, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Orange County
1,658 posts, read 1,851,699 times
Reputation: 1368
We are in the Lakes area and it is fine. I have always heard bad things about North Las Vegas. Last week I drove up there around Aliante and I thought it was nice and somewhere I might consider if I want to switch to a one level house. Seems like you will get more for you money there.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top