U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 07:47 PM

44 posts, read 45,906 times

Advertisements

New here, please forgive me if this was asked before. I did a search and didn't find anything relevant.

Thinking of moving to the area. We used to live in So California and went to Vegas often, but as tourists. Currently we live in Thailand and are moving back. Retirement age (at least me) so no kids. We will be looking for a house in the mid 300's and will cash it out. Don't really need to work, but may want something part time for something to do.

Have driven through both Henderson and Summerlin but not the better areas of N Las Vegas.

What attracts us to the area is decent housing prices, plenty of entertainment options (we are not gamblers though), lots of restaurants and walking areas.

Downside I realize is the summer heat, but living in Thailand we get a lot of heat with humidity so can deal with the months over 100.

So I would like to get thoughts/opinions of the places good, and bad. Also if I missed a nice area please let me know

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 08:11 PM

12,561 posts, read 4,743,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinho View Post
New here, please forgive me if this was asked before. I did a search and didn't find anything relevant.

Thinking of moving to the area. We used to live in So California and went to Vegas often, but as tourists. Currently we live in Thailand and are moving back. Retirement age (at least me) so no kids. We will be looking for a house in the mid 300's and will cash it out. Don't really need to work, but may want something part time for something to do.

Have driven through both Henderson and Summerlin but not the better areas of N Las Vegas.

What attracts us to the area is decent housing prices, plenty of entertainment options (we are not gamblers though), lots of restaurants and walking areas.

Downside I realize is the summer heat, but living in Thailand we get a lot of heat with humidity so can deal with the months over 100.

So I would like to get thoughts/opinions of the places good, and bad. Also if I missed a nice area please let me know

Thanks!!
You have many, many options. Basically the Beltway 215 is your guide. Anywhere outside the beltway will be fine and anything within a couple of miles of it on the inside. That is probably over a 100 square miles to pick from.

You also have all the senior communities if you are in to group stuff, or hobbies or the gym. There are something like 17 of them with four or five big ones. Go to them only if the facilities attract you. they are very nice places but have a significant premium.

You will get a lot more house if you buy a little older. The places built before 2000 will get you 10 to 25% more house then the newer builds. They will also have higher cooling bills though.

Walkable is tricky. Basically this is a city built by the automobile and you pretty much need one to live here comfortably. There are areas that are "walkable" to a degree....Green Valley Ranch, Downtown Summerlin, Lake Mead and Buffalo, Downtown, Aliante in NLV. Providence in the NW. Insparada in the west Henderson. But you still need a car. The place sprawls.

Old 07-02-2017, 01:26 AM

Thanks for the quick response! I've always liked older houses vs new builds but the Mrs likes new so we will see. Definitely want to explore solar. That's a great help about the Beltway, thanks again! Really opens up places to check

Not necessarily looking for a senior, or planned, community but open. Not really into many group activities, like the gym, but prefer a solitary workout so generally set up my own at home, that's why I want a 3 car garage. I barely qualify as a retiree agewise and the wife is far from it.

I think I wasn't clear with the walking, sorry! I meant for exercise/adventure, definitely will have a car!

Again, thanks!!

Old 07-02-2017, 12:54 PM

11 posts, read 39,134 times
Hi, My husband and I moved to Henderson about 1 and half year ago. We really like it here(Henderson). The area that I like is Lake Las Vegas, but they are a lot of Condominiums. A lot of Single homes in Henderson. Green Valley Ranch is also nice. We live in an apartment right now. We haven't buy a car, we ride a bus or walk a lot. Our apartment is close to almost everything. I'm originally from Thailand but I have been living in the US for about 34 years. My husband is an American(African American). We moved to Thailand once when my husband first retired. We lived there for 3 years(2003-2006). I would like to return to Thailand again, but my husband doesn't want to go back there. He doesn't like what is going in Thailand right now. We're retirees with no children. If your wife is a Thai lady, I would suggest Summerlin area because it's closer to Asia Market or Thai food stores. Anyway I wish you both the best.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokdee View Post
Hi, My husband and I moved to Henderson about 1 and half year ago. We really like it here(Henderson). The area that I like is Lake Las Vegas, but they are a lot of Condominiums. A lot of Single homes in Henderson. Green Valley Ranch is also nice. We live in an apartment right now. We haven't buy a car, we ride a bus or walk a lot. Our apartment is close to almost everything. I'm originally from Thailand but I have been living in the US for about 34 years. My husband is an American(African American). We moved to Thailand once when my husband first retired. We lived there for 3 years(2003-2006). I would like to return to Thailand again, but my husband doesn't want to go back there. He doesn't like what is going in Thailand right now. We're retirees with no children. If your wife is a Thai lady, I would suggest Summerlin area because it's closer to Asia Market or Thai food stores. Anyway I wish you both the best.
Thank you! I like Thailand, we are in Prachuap Khiri Khan and have a little over a rai on the beach. It's actually my wife who wants to move back, too many years in the states I guess.

Thanks for the information!

Old 07-04-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinho View Post
Thank you! I like Thailand, we are in Prachuap Khiri Khan and have a little over a rai on the beach. It's actually my wife who wants to move back, too many years in the states I guess.

Thanks for the information!
Hi, I know where Prachuap Khiri Khan is. It's nice Province. I took my husband there(Hua Hin). When we were living in Thailand(2003-2006)we bought a Townhouse in Bang Saen, Chonburi(about 1 hour from Pattaya). We like it there very much. After we left Thailand in 2006, we lived in Hawaii(Honolulu) for a little more than 8 years. Hawaii is nice but it's very expensive. We moved to Henderson because a lot of people told us a lot of good things. We are still unsure about moving back to Thailand. I'm sure you probably know about the situation in Thailand. If we decide not to move back to Thailand, Henderson is our home. People in Henderson are very friendly. Cost of living is great, the grocery is really cheap. The only a little inconvenient is when we go to shop for Asia food or Thai food we have to ride two buses. But it can be change if we decide to stay in Henderson, we have to buy a car. I know only the area where I live. I wish I can help you more. For real estate did you try website like "Zillow.com", "Redfin.com" or "Realtor.com". Wish you the best!

Old 07-04-2017, 07:28 PM

1 posts, read 5,228 times
Okay, you guys are NUT. Yes, Vegas is hot like Arizona, but the Reno, Sparks, Fernley, Fallon, Yerington area has been hitting 95 to 100 since early June. If you check Accuweather, type in any of the above cities, under extended forecast you will see that it is going to continue this trend for the next 60 days, with more 100's, 103, 105.
As far as snow in this area, other than Tahoe and the ski resorts, there is not much snow here in the Valley.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:21 PM

Hot is OK, here in Thailand it's always hot and humid. Snow? nah, I lived in Maine and Michigan and had enough besides my Thai wife doesn't do snow unless through a picture window from a room with a cozy fireplace.

It seems Summerlin, for the same house, is generally most expensive and N Las Vegas least. Listening to lvmensch looking at homes in N Las Vegas around 215 freeway

Old 07-11-2017, 10:36 AM

1,966 posts, read 1,164,843 times
I currently live in Chiang Mai. I love the rainy season. I lived in Summerlin for most of 2009. Sold to Canadians. My condo had a walk score of 74 and I was carless. NLV is kind of nasty. Henderson would be better for airport access, and there are some older, cheaper SFH that Summerlin does not have. There is a bit of snob appeal in Summerlin...and that is actually a good thing in a city with as many trashy people as LV. IMO, the heat factor in LV is less than Bangkok, but more than Chiang Mai.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
I currently live in Chiang Mai. I love the rainy season. I lived in Summerlin for most of 2009. Sold to Canadians. My condo had a walk score of 74 and I was carless. NLV is kind of nasty. Henderson would be better for airport access, and there are some older, cheaper SFH that Summerlin does not have. There is a bit of snob appeal in Summerlin...and that is actually a good thing in a city with as many trashy people as LV. IMO, the heat factor in LV is less than Bangkok, but more than Chiang Mai.
Hi, I went to college in Chiang Mai in the late 70's. I loved it (slow paced, fresh air and low cost of living). How is it living in Chiang Mai for you. I still have some family living there but they always telling me only the positive side. We haven't return to Thailand since 2006. Talk about Nevada, they just passed the law for legalize marijuana for recreational. We don't gambling nor smoking weed or cigarette. So, I heard on the strip smells like marijuana now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or