U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2008, 11:28 PM

3 posts, read 8,374 times

Advertisements

Hi, folks. I stumbled upon your info here, and it is a wonderful site for the Reno area. Some of my questions have been answered, but I thought posting my specifics would be helpful to me. Any ideas from locals of the Reno/Carson City area would be great!

My husband and I are thinking of buying land in Nevada, and love the area around Carson/Reno. It would be a part-time residence at first, just to get out of the SF area. We have had enough of the SF culture, overcrowding, attitude, and taxes. We love the land up by you guys, and would like to get a Tumbleweed House or other self-sufficient, pre-fab, transportable deal to put up there. A bit of solar, small wind turbine, tank-o-propane, and we can even bring in water in tanks also.

I am an artist-writer type, who just needs an internet connection and cell phone (which can be via the cell phone, on a phone card if need be). Plus a work area on the land, like a work shed and such. Husband is a theatrical lighting designer, who can either work in Reno for some, or just keep taking work down 80 at home.

We are Lutheran Mo.-Synod.

So we are talking about at most, 5 acres. At least, 2. Cheap is good. We have a real estate agent who has shown us land (via the web) that size, north of Reno, for 5-7 grand. We like that idea. But the question is...where??

Close to 80 is good. Some what isolated, yes, that's good. We can go "into town" to visit. Low taxes very good. We love Garnerville/Minden, but it's already too much money, unless we are missing something. Closer to Reno would be better for work, also, like I said. A good hospital near by, or somewhat near by, is a plus.....

We will be driving up there next month, but an idea of where to look (gas is expensive!!) would be wonderful.

Thank you so much,

Sick of California,

TheLuLu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 11:43 PM

1,195 posts, read 4,992,946 times
Most of the area around Reno/Carson from what I understand is fairly expensive, I've been told Dayton is a growing area and may have land at a reasonable price. I chose Lovelock area we are at the base of the Humbolt Range in Rocky Canyon. I would think that is too far from Reno to work it's north about 110 miles, my husband and I will be retired so no need for work.

We drove through Silver Springs and that appears to be a big sand box, Fallon is a cute town but can be fairly windy, Fernly is building but watch out for the low land for floods. The last fllod might have been a fluke but don't know for sure.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:12 AM

1,174 posts, read 6,299,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLuLu View Post
We are Lutheran Mo.-Synod.
I'm just waving "hi" from Douglas County. I'm LCMS too, so welcome to the Great Basin.

It seems you've already seen that prices can be quite a bit different between counties. Same for same, Douglas (Minden/Gardnerville/Genoa) can be quite a bit more expensive than something similar far north of Reno.

Since my knowledge of things north of Reno is certainly limited, I'll have to wait for others to get you some info. However, if you were desiring Dougals County but needed to save more $$$, I would have suggested looking in Smith Valley and/or Yerrington. They're something like 45-60 minutes outside of G'ville, basicly in the next valley over. They're agricultural areas and the Smith River runs through part of it.

The problem would be that they're going to be pretty far from the Reno employment, or the Bay area jobs via I80 access, that you desire. So, it's probably not a good option for you.

Now that I think about it, would y'all want to live in or near a historical western mining town? How about Virginia City. It would be in Lyon County (immediately east of Carson City) and you don't have to actually live in Virginia City itself. There are places within spittin' distance of the historic mining town where you can easily attend performances at the historic Piper's Opera House.

One of the nearby areas would include Virginia Highlands (I think that's the name. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.). You can get houses on acres out there and you will have a shorter drive into Reno and Sparks than from many other areas. The added benefit will be that you'll also be close to Carson City and you can save money over Carson City and Douglas County properties. You may even have the wild horses visting you from time to time.

I don't know if that area will work for you, but you can do a run for it on an MLS search. It might be an option.

Otherwise, welcome to the neighborhood!

Old 03-12-2008, 11:40 AM

Talking thanks!

Garth, and everyone, thanks for the info! I will continue to search out the links and town names/areas you all have provided....yes, an old mining town would be beautiful, Virginia City sounds a possibility. I will have to check on the commute time.....

Thank You!!!

I will check back.....

Old 03-12-2008, 12:03 PM

Garth and everyone.....how is Lockwood, and the other towns on the east side of 80, and Verdi-Mogul on the west side? Verdi looks high-end already.....but Lockwood could be a possibility......and we could visit and work at the Opera House in Virginia City.....

OOO, I'm so excited!! I can't wait to get the *&^% out of here!!

Old 03-12-2008, 02:41 PM

3,681 posts, read 13,160,311 times
Check out Fernley, Fallon or Silver Springs. Land is cheaper in these places than around Reno/Carson City. But even then, you will be 35 - 50 miles away from Reno (and gas is expensive as you say) and travel in the winter when it snows will slow things down.

If you have a realtor finding land for $5 - 7K, it must be really out in the boonies, probably far from any utility hook-ups.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:12 PM

1,196 posts, read 4,340,096 times
I think Virginia City would be a good choice. There is beautiful old architecture out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or