U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2017, 07:20 PM

37 posts, read 36,270 times

Advertisements

Long story short, I was mid-promotion within my company when my manager dug up a common, operational error I had made 4 months prior, and said I was not eligible to promote for this reason. Of course I was upset. Coincidentally I was the highest sales performer and we were short staffed, therefore I felt her motivation was malicious to do this. I emailed her on my day off explaining my grievance, and bottom line said "if I cant go to this new department, Im going to look for another job." At that point there was phone tag, she wasnt sure what my email had meant so she called. I called back but she was busy, in tears I spoke with the assistant and said I think i am going to quit, I was thinking of giving notice but I would discuss everything with my employer when I came back to work. My coworkers then texted me HR decided to let me go. I emailed my manager again and said Id come in for sure until the 8th, a full week away, and she forwarded it to HR with the subject line "notice". I get an email saying "we accept your resignation immediately. Return your keys." I honestly was shocked beyond belief! I was being emotional and irrational, but I emailed my boss as a friend to vent and find out what the deal was, as I was tired of being jerked around and we were close on that level. My coworkers told me she was livid i spoke with the assistant before her, so she took it to HR and HR technically termed me. So. Obviously i wasnt financially expecting this, and it appeared to me I was fired after I emailed HR asking if i was rehireable in the future, and she said I was not. I felt all I had left was try unemployment. Denied first round and then 2nd round, my email came back to bite me. The appeal reff was clear the employer had no clear reason(misconduct) to term me that day, but since I never formally spoke with my manager the email saying my last day will be the 8th was an obvious "quit". She told me right then I needed good cause to quit, of course I stumbled on my words because I had no intent to quit, which i said...i didnt wake up that day to quit my job, infact the promotion was still on the table! I had every intention to work my next shift and talk about all of this in person. Knowing this will result in denial, I google what happens when you put in any notice, and they term you early, what is that? Fired? Quit? Its a grey area. I am interested in pertinent nevada laws regarding this. I know my company had a policy with notice where you sign a paper and so on and so forth, which I obviously never had a chance to do. California and some other at-will states like mine deem cutting an employees notice short generally qualifies for UI, as it is ultimately an employer termination, technically. I cant find anything about similar situations in nevada, or even federal laws. Help!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 10:39 PM

882 posts, read 471,796 times
I'm not sure what you expect anyone to say. This is a life lesson for you (an unfortunately a very costly one). You let your emotions get in the way and made a very immature decision by acting the way you did. In hindsight, I'm sure you realize now the mature way to deal with this situation would have been to set up a meeting with your boss to talk about it instead of use a threat (if you're going to do that, you should have been prepared to leave and had a job in hand first). You're not the first one to make a move like this. I'd suggest you look to family and/or friends for support until you get back on your feet.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:09 AM

97 posts, read 87,184 times
Last post summed it up. You let your emotions get the better of you. Hit the pavement and find another job, take anything to get some income coming in. And move on.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:53 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,258,478 times
IMO there is no gray area. In your own post, you state that you received an e-mail stating that they accepted your resignation immediately and to return your keys. This shows that according to the company records, it was a resignation rather than a termination. In most cases you are ineligible for unemployment compensation if you voluntarily resign.

Unemployment Eligibility
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada