Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 06:27 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cim303 View Post
I see, it's a matter of definition. Sounds like you're referring to the flat top asphalt coated roofs and we are referring to sloped composite asphalt shingled roofs.
I think in general asphalt shingles here are a poor idea. Some of the exotics...fiberglass based etc may be OK but I do not think you will be able to get more than 20 or 25 years out of the normal product. Simply too hot.

My particular interest in this case was that I was having trouble getting contractors to repair a shot floor on a balcony of a nice house in Summerlin. When I dug in a bit I found none of my regular roofers would touch it. That got me curious about these mountain goat triples with the patio on the roof. Turns out Lennar at least is leaning away from them over the service issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 07:17 PM

24 posts, read 32,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
We are heading to Vegas in 4 weeks from Dallas to do this exact thing. Will be getting the heck out of Texas FINALLY after 25 years. Will be looking at Summerlin, Henderson and Mesquite. Our property taxes in DFW just went up another $1000 for the year. That brings our total yearly property taxes for our $370k house to $9000/year. Just unbelievable. Anyone who thinks living in Texas is "cheap" better not buy a house. Property taxes in this state and specifically DFW are horrific. Also on rent...the devastating increases in property taxes has caused rents to skyrocket in DFW. The Mid 20's millennias I work with (I am late 40's) call it "The DFW rent-pocalypse"

One other thing not mentioned is homeowners insurance. God help you if you are in a flood zone anywhere in Texas, but even though we are not, our homeowners insurance just went up another $400/year and we had Zero claims. Why? Hail, tornadoes and one huge flood/hurricane. Property ins is now $2500/year for us.

Texas is NOT cheap to live in.

Can not wait!

What made you decide on the Vegas area? We are back in forth trying to decide if the LV area would be a better fit for us or the Reno/Sparks area. I want to be closer to entertainment and more modern looking facades. My husband wants to be closer to mountains and snowfall. I am torn because I also want to be closer to mountains and experience milder summers. We've even tossed around maybe moving to Carson City. Two of my kiddos live in Fallon, but I think for us that is just too far away from most of the activities that appeal to us.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:43 AM

364 posts, read 617,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimisicTexan View Post
What made you decide on the Vegas area? We are back in forth trying to decide if the LV area would be a better fit for us or the Reno/Sparks area. I want to be closer to entertainment and more modern looking facades. My husband wants to be closer to mountains and snowfall. I am torn because I also want to be closer to mountains and experience milder summers. We've even tossed around maybe moving to Carson City. Two of my kiddos live in Fallon, but I think for us that is just too far away from most of the activities that appeal to us.

Weather.

Southern Nevada has some of the most stable barometric pressure in the country. When fronts barrel in and out all the time like in DFW, it really aggravates my wife’s migraines.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:45 AM

228 posts, read 196,873 times
Smile Update

I think I have replied to a previous post you made but will update. We moved here Oct 1st, 2017, from San Antonio area. I grew up in Plano and N Dallas. Have lived in Irving and Mesquite. 10 months in and I still love it, actually more. I have read the other posters comments, so won't re-hash that.

Last Friday, we stayed down on the strip and saw Rod Stewart and had a great time like in our tourist days. We have stayed down on Freemont twice since we have been here and actually prefer Freemont over the Strip. I know you might ask why get a room and not just use an Uber? We did talk about this on this time around. It would be great if we could get up and enjoy the next morning late breakfast etc.. but we have to get home to let our dogs out, so we leave early.

I did not notice that anyone mentioned the Smith Center. There are 3 venues there. I love the Jazz Cabaret. They always have some great entertainment. Reynolds Hall is the largest and has great productions, it opened in 2012.

My spouse is an RN at the VA, so we transferred here with a job, I am retired. We live off the one income. Our house is in a gated 55 and older, near the VA. In Texas, during the hot months, I would keep the AC at 75 and turn it to 72 to sleep. Here during the day I keep it at 78-79 and am very comfortable, outside temp will be 106-109. We turn it to 76 at night and I am cold and do not like cold. When it is 75 here I will have a light jacket on and my spouse laughs at me. I do not like cold, so Reno would not be a choice for me, in the winter.

I had read bad things about Vegas and how unfriendly people were here, but I have not found this to be true. Texas is supposed to be friendly, but I find the people in Vegas way more outgoing and friendly than anywhere I lived in Texas. My neighbours are all friendly and helpful in recommending doctors, Vets, things to do. One of our neighbours showed up at our doorstep and had 4 tickets for a musical at the Paris and took us. We were brought Xmas goodies. I have the keys to my neighbours' house and am watching it for them while they are at their summer home. Vegas is what you make it. I am a 56-year-old grumpy, stick in the mud and you would have to kill me and drag my dead lifeless body back to Texas. I fell in love with Vegas in 2012 on our first trip out here and cried when we left(literally) and did not want to go home. Pull up on YouTube Dean Martins I love Vegas, get the good version that has the flying over the strip. My spouse thought I would be crying wanting to go home to my beautiful Texas, as I do love Texas, I was born and raised there, but VEGAS is HOME.

Back to the AC thing and I did not notice that anyone posted this. NV energy allows you to average your bill. You pay a set amount year round. Our average on our 1811 sq ft home would be 99.00. We did not use our AC until May, in Texas we would have had it on in March. NV energy uses your 12-month average. Gas is a little more expensive, but Vegas is not that big. The car insurance is triple what we paid in San Antonio. House insurance is 1/3 of what I paid on an 1100 sq ft. home in Texas, so it offsets. Keep in mind taxes are also half of what we paid in Texas. We live much better than we did in Texas.

I know I'm long-winded, It's a Texas thing. If you go to Henderson on your upcoming visit, go to Lindo Michoacan 645 Carnegie St. Ask for a table with a view. Google this place. WARNING, this is not Tex-Mex, but it is still good food. The salsa is not like Tex-Mex and it will be strange but you get used to it. Check out the Green Valley area real estate. If you want Vegas and it was meant to be, it will happen. We started our search after our first visit here in 2012 and did our research, lots of research. We visited 2-3times a year and no we are not rich, but I don't gamble, don't know how. $5.00 in a slot, Bingo, yes. It took us 5 years to get here, but it was the best move of my life. I have lived in Barcelona, Wash.DC, all over Mexico, San Diego, Miami, Vegas is HOME. Good luck to you and if you have a question just ask and I or someone will help. I used this site a lot before we moved here.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:00 PM

96 posts, read 80,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimisicTexan View Post
I want to be closer to entertainment and more modern looking facades. My husband wants to be closer to mountains and snowfall. I am torn because I also want to be closer to mountains and experience milder summers. .
You just described LV.
Mountain Charleston is just 30 min from Las Vegas for hiking - during summer it is ~15 degrees cooler than in Valley, and during winter you can go skiing

https://www.gomtcharleston.com/lee-meadows/

Old 07-09-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectras View Post
You just described LV.
Mountain Charleston is just 30 min from Las Vegas for hiking - during summer it is ~15 degrees cooler than in Valley, and during winter you can go skiing

https://www.gomtcharleston.com/lee-meadows/

Thank you for sharing this information. It looks really pretty there.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy2017 View Post
I think I have replied to a previous post you made but will update. We moved here Oct 1st, 2017, from San Antonio area. I grew up in Plano and N Dallas. Have lived in Irving and Mesquite. 10 months in and I still love it, actually more. I have read the other posters comments, so won't re-hash that.

Last Friday, we stayed down on the strip and saw Rod Stewart and had a great time like in our tourist days. We have stayed down on Freemont twice since we have been here and actually prefer Freemont over the Strip. I know you might ask why get a room and not just use an Uber? We did talk about this on this time around. It would be great if we could get up and enjoy the next morning late breakfast etc.. but we have to get home to let our dogs out, so we leave early.

I did not notice that anyone mentioned the Smith Center. There are 3 venues there. I love the Jazz Cabaret. They always have some great entertainment. Reynolds Hall is the largest and has great productions, it opened in 2012.

My spouse is an RN at the VA, so we transferred here with a job, I am retired. We live off the one income. Our house is in a gated 55 and older, near the VA. In Texas, during the hot months, I would keep the AC at 75 and turn it to 72 to sleep. Here during the day I keep it at 78-79 and am very comfortable, outside temp will be 106-109. We turn it to 76 at night and I am cold and do not like cold. When it is 75 here I will have a light jacket on and my spouse laughs at me. I do not like cold, so Reno would not be a choice for me, in the winter.

I had read bad things about Vegas and how unfriendly people were here, but I have not found this to be true. Texas is supposed to be friendly, but I find the people in Vegas way more outgoing and friendly than anywhere I lived in Texas. My neighbours are all friendly and helpful in recommending doctors, Vets, things to do. One of our neighbours showed up at our doorstep and had 4 tickets for a musical at the Paris and took us. We were brought Xmas goodies. I have the keys to my neighbours' house and am watching it for them while they are at their summer home. Vegas is what you make it. I am a 56-year-old grumpy, stick in the mud and you would have to kill me and drag my dead lifeless body back to Texas. I fell in love with Vegas in 2012 on our first trip out here and cried when we left(literally) and did not want to go home. Pull up on YouTube Dean Martins I love Vegas, get the good version that has the flying over the strip. My spouse thought I would be crying wanting to go home to my beautiful Texas, as I do love Texas, I was born and raised there, but VEGAS is HOME.

Back to the AC thing and I did not notice that anyone posted this. NV energy allows you to average your bill. You pay a set amount year round. Our average on our 1811 sq ft home would be 99.00. We did not use our AC until May, in Texas we would have had it on in March. NV energy uses your 12-month average. Gas is a little more expensive, but Vegas is not that big. The car insurance is triple what we paid in San Antonio. House insurance is 1/3 of what I paid on an 1100 sq ft. home in Texas, so it offsets. Keep in mind taxes are also half of what we paid in Texas. We live much better than we did in Texas.

I know I'm long-winded, It's a Texas thing. If you go to Henderson on your upcoming visit, go to Lindo Michoacan 645 Carnegie St. Ask for a table with a view. Google this place. WARNING, this is not Tex-Mex, but it is still good food. The salsa is not like Tex-Mex and it will be strange but you get used to it. Check out the Green Valley area real estate. If you want Vegas and it was meant to be, it will happen. We started our search after our first visit here in 2012 and did our research, lots of research. We visited 2-3times a year and no we are not rich, but I don't gamble, don't know how. $5.00 in a slot, Bingo, yes. It took us 5 years to get here, but it was the best move of my life. I have lived in Barcelona, Wash.DC, all over Mexico, San Diego, Miami, Vegas is HOME. Good luck to you and if you have a question just ask and I or someone will help. I used this site a lot before we moved here.

Hello. Thank you for sharing your story with me. I get a bit long-winded too as you can probably tell by my original post and most all of my replies. I have to say, we are even more torn between NV and Co now than we were when I first posted on this site. We took a trip to Denver over Memorial Day to see my step-daughter and my husband fell hard for the area. We agree that Denver is not the place for us, but leaning more toward Colorado Springs/Fort Carson area. But...we have a trip planned for Reno over Thanksgiving week so we can explore that area and of course, visit my boys. Thing is, I still recall how we both felt when we visited LV the first time back in 2014 and how we looked at each other and said, "We should move here". Like you, I love Texas - it will always have a special place in my heart. But I feel like I belong somewhere else and felt really drawn to Las Vegas. Unfortunately, right now I can't say for sure where we will end up. There have been a lot of things we are considering. Hoping to be much closer to a decision after Thanksgiving though.

Are there any good Mexican food restaurants around other than the one you mentioned above? I would ask about Tex-Mex, but I am pretty sure there's none of that since Nevada is NOT Texas. I am bummed about having to give up Whataburger and Braum's where ever we end up moving. LOL

Old 07-09-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy2017 View Post

In Texas, during the hot months, I would keep the AC at 75 and turn it to 72 to sleep. Here during the day I keep it at 78-79 and am very comfortable, outside temp will be 106-109. We turn it to 76 at night and I am cold and do not like cold. When it is 75 here I will have a light jacket on and my spouse laughs at me. I do not like cold, so Reno would not be a choice for me, in the winter.

I forgot to comment on the AC issue - We keep our thermostat on 68 to sleep and 73 during the day during the summer. Sometimes that is still not cool enough for us. Especially on the days when it's over 100 outside. In that respect, I think Reno would be more suitable for us. It's good that NV energy allows you to average your bill. Years ago when I used TXU, I did that with them. However, we've been using Just Energy the last few years and I'm not aware of them allowing you to average your bill. I like them better than TXU though because the rates are lower and they use windmill power. If I understand correctly, NV only has one choice for electricity - is that right? Not happy about more expensive car insurance. However, I do like that taxes are lower and there is no state taxes as opposed to Colorado.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:46 PM

8,147 posts, read 8,348,424 times
In Dallas i have the thermostat set to 68 night and 72 day. But its much drier here in LV and we keep it at 70 night and 74 days. Ver comfy. Casa Don Juan has great Tex Mex food here in Henderson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada