Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2008, 09:29 PM

3 posts, read 5,058 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum! I have enjoyed reading many of the different threads, but honestly, I feel so overwhelmed I am just so confused and really need some advice as to what to do!

I am 22 years old and living in Georgia. I was born here, but have lived in other states along the east coast. To put it frankly (and not hurt anyone's feelings who may read this), I HATE Georgia! I feel like I'm in a rut living here and just can't wait until I can move away from all the ignorance here. That may seem very bold, but if you lived here, you would understand. Both my parents are Yankees and my mom (who is also my best friend) has lived out west (Arizona many years ago). She misses it so much, and has been seriously considering a move to Nevada now (she has heard so many great things about it. I love working with animals and doing rescue work, and anything that is outdoors. Georgia is the exact opposite. You either deal with snobs (who don't have much to be snobby about), or people who don't care about their education, and only care about hunting and killing things. There's no middle ground here.

My "dream" is to be living in a place that puts animals welfare at the top of their list, and to be around people who love the outdoors (and don't sit around playing video games all day). Now don't get me wrong, I love shopping and love being a "girly girl", but my heart is in the outdoors and just having a great time. I really do not mean this in a snobby way, but I feel like i'm an all-around/ universal type of girl. I like to do everything and just enjoy life. Here, in Georgia, you have to be one type or another. I am a full-time student, with a full-time job in property management. My mom is in the same situation. She is newly divorced and wants to get out of Georgia more than I do (if that's possible )... Please, if anyone has any thoughts on finding a place (or places) that fits this description, that would be awesome I have been trying to do research on California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, and Colorado. I have always thought Cali would be my "home" but it seems to be way too expensive and alot of crime. Kind of breaks my heart, but I guess I always loved it because I had the mountains and the beach. I've heard alot of great things about Nevada - people seem to be down to earth and love to enjoy life. I know one of the main questions that has to be answered is the money situation... Well, I am on a tight budget, but I'm sure the jobs out there pay more than here, and mostly balances the cost of living (I'm guessing???)...

I apologize for being so blunt and for this being so long and detailed. It's just so frustrating trying to find the perfect place on a budget and not being able to just jump up and visit the possible perfect home... Wow, so this was also me venting at the same time as asking everyone's advice Thank you!!! I can't wait to hear everyone's ideas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 09:46 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
You are looking for a perfect place on a budget. If any place fit the word "perfect" dont you think that everyone would want to live there, thereby forcing the prices out of the budget zone? San Diego for example. Known to have the best weather in America. Everyone wants to live there because of it and we all know it costs $5 million for a one bedroom bungalo there.

Great outdoors place? Not in the desert south west. At least half the year anyway. You can not go outside in the heat of the summer down here the same way you cant go outside in the cold of winter up north.

The best tool to find what you are looking for is right here on this site. Be honest and dont skip any answers. Have a good half hour to take this test. I promise you it will give you most all your answers.

****.com - Find the Best Place, the Best Job, the Best Home for You! (http://www.****.com/survey/InvalidSurvey.asp?ID=D5585BD93C3F41782E84A1A407F0F C6B - broken link)

Let us know how you make out with it.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:15 PM

Default Oh no!

Hi!

The link says the page cannot be found! Please help!

Old 05-13-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetienln View Post
Hi!

The link says the page cannot be found! Please help!
That's weird. It worked for me yesterday. I have it in my favorites. I clicked on the link in my post and from my favorites today and it is dead.

It will be back. It must be down for repairs. Try again later. In the mean time I contacted the site adminstrator to let them know.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:33 AM

226 posts, read 1,007,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
San Diego for example. Known to have the best weather in America. Everyone wants to live there because of it and we all know it costs $5 million for a one bedroom bungalo there.

Great outdoors place? Not in the desert south west.
Funny thing, apartments.com lists apartments in San Diego starting out in the $700 - $800 range; sure its more than the average apartment in the midwest or southwest but it isn't $5 Million

Apartments for Rent in Central San Diego, Clairemont Area, La Jolla, La Mesa / East SD College Area, Linda Vista, Mission Bay Area, Mission Valley, North-Central San Diego, Point Loma, Tierra Santa | Apartment in Central San Diego, Clairemont Area, L

And actually up here in Northern Nevada (Reno-Sparks) we do have a lot to do outdoors... We have Lake Tahoe, Pyramid Lake, The Truckee River... And it doesn't get so hot here in the summer that you can't go out... Even on the hottest days in Reno (105) you can bet it will be a breezy 85 up in tahoe!

Old 05-13-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCiEtY's ReBel View Post
Funny thing, apartments.com lists apartments in San Diego starting out in the $700 - $800 range; sure its more than the average apartment in the midwest or southwest but it isn't $5 Million

Apartments for Rent in Central San Diego, Clairemont Area, La Jolla, La Mesa / East SD College Area, Linda Vista, Mission Bay Area, Mission Valley, North-Central San Diego, Point Loma, Tierra Santa | Apartment in Central San Diego, Clairemont Area, L

And actually up here in Northern Nevada (Reno-Sparks) we do have a lot to do outdoors... We have Lake Tahoe, Pyramid Lake, The Truckee River... And it doesn't get so hot here in the summer that you can't go out... Even on the hottest days in Reno (105) you can bet it will be a breezy 85 up in tahoe!
Why are you comparing low life apartments with single family homes? Apartments? The OP was asking about desirable places to live.

I am not so familiar with your area. I hear it is beautiful and hope to get up that way in my travels.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:37 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,037,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetienln View Post
I love working with animals and doing rescue work
Kanab, Utah animal sanctuary.

Potential issue . . there is predominate LDS (Mormon) influence in this region, including the nearby FLDS (polygamist) communities of Hildale, UT/Colorado City, AZ.

Last edited by tortoise; 05-13-2008 at 12:49 PM..

Old 05-18-2008, 01:14 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
Nevada is actually cheaper than a lot of places. I wouldn't say that it costs any more than living in Georgia.

Anyway, Las Vegas could be a good choice. I'd say that the outdoors have a fairly large focus here. Lots of people hike and bike in places like Mount Charleston and Red Rock Canyon, and many people boat on Lake Mead. And the humane society has many devout followers (every week the local news has a segment that features animals that need to be adopted). Vegas is definitely a good choice if you're interested.

Reno could be an okay choice too, but there isn't quite as much to do up there - since you said that you're interested in shopping and night life as well as the outdoors.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:39 PM

Hey Everyone,

Thank you so much for all the posts! My computer went down for a few weeks, so have been waiting on getting that fixed before I could be on here again... I have to say that I really like Nevada so far. Hopefully I will be able to visit very soon!

Desertsun41, I did try the website again, but it still isn't working. Thank you for contacting the adminstrator for me!

Tortoise, The animal sanctuary sounds great, but am a little worried about the polygamist and such. I believe everyone has their beliefs and way of life, but I'm just not too sure about it

Society's Rebel, the outdoors sound amazing. Here in Georgia in the summertime you can't even step outside your door without being covered in sweat. It's so miserable being outside because it's so muggy and ugh...

Thank you everyone for your replies and help... I hope that I will be out there soon to visit and hopefully move somewhere to the area

Old 05-28-2008, 11:05 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Having lived in Las Vegas, NJ, and GA, I can tell you that the summers in LV aren't any fun- even by GA standards. Sure, you won't be covered in sweat, but that's because it evaporates too fast and you're ready to pass out from dehydration before you realize what happened. Anyone who give you the old "but it's a dry heat and there's always a breeze" either has never experienced a 110-degree day, or enjoys spending their spare time in front of a hair dryer on full hot.

You didn't mention what part of GA you're in, so I can't say if you're suffering because you're in a podunk backwoods town, or just because you're hanging with the wrong people. I can tell you, though, that there are plenty of people in metro Atlanta that don't fit into your "one or the other" classification.

It you're really set on NV, I'd recommend northern NV, assuming you can deal with the winters- it'll seem more like GA with the greenery, rather than the fairly barren scenery in southern NV. But bear in mind that in either location, "budget living" isn't going to get you into many of the better parts of town, so you may end up surrounded by the same type of people you're encountering now- lord knows there's plenty of them in NV.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada