U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-29-2008, 11:02 AM
 
574 posts, read 1,670,424 times
Reputation: 516

Advertisements

Hi, I am writing a short essay about prostitution in the United States. My question is are the majority of brothel owners in Nevada males? I know there are around 30 legal brothels in Nevada.

In my essay I discuss my opinion on why prostitution is widely illegal in the United States. I say because it is one industry that women could dominate over men(Sexist argument). I believe even if prostitution were legal in a select few places that men would somehow be at the head of the industry (i.e. the proprietor). I need proof for the argument though.

Can anyone help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-29-2008, 10:06 PM
 
1,174 posts, read 6,299,333 times
Reputation: 1083
Why not go directly to the horse's mouth and ask? Just google "Mustang Ranch," for one place in Storey County, Nevada, and click on the link you'll get. You can call directly and talk to someone about it.

Let me stress that I have never had the opportunity or desire to seek them out or to do such a search on google, but I ran it after reading your question. I got the link, but because of the nature of some of the pages and perhaps your age (a guess based on your "essay" requirement), I have chosen not to post it here.

I doubt that the Madame will have any problem talking to you about your essay. It's at least worth a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2008, 03:54 AM
 
1,755 posts, read 4,900,887 times
Reputation: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
Hi, I am writing a short essay about prostitution in the United States. My question is are the majority of brothel owners in Nevada males? I know there are around 30 legal brothels in Nevada.

In my essay I discuss my opinion on why prostitution is widely illegal in the United States. I say because it is one industry that women could dominate over men(Sexist argument). I believe even if prostitution were legal in a select few places that men would somehow be at the head of the industry (i.e. the proprietor). I need proof for the argument though.

Can anyone help?
Not to dissuade your efforts, but I, for one would be much more interested, in the outcome of the spouses, and children of brothel workers----are they stable, productive citizens, or do they show socio-economic signs of dysfunction??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2008, 09:38 AM
 
574 posts, read 1,670,424 times
Reputation: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
Not to dissuade your efforts, but I, for one would be much more interested, in the outcome of the spouses, and children of brothel workers----are they stable, productive citizens, or do they show socio-economic signs of dysfunction??
Good point. I do believe there is some dysfunction on the children's part. Prostitution is widely seen as an immoral profession in the United States. To have a mother or father that is a prostitute, the child may face some ridicule by society.

On the spousal part, do you mean will a prostitute be able to attract a "decent" spouse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2008, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Asheville NC
109 posts, read 372,432 times
Reputation: 34
Riducule by society is the fault of society, not of brothels. We need to move there in order to vote to defend them.

Last edited by scirocco22; 05-10-2008 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2008, 06:03 AM
 
1,755 posts, read 4,900,887 times
Reputation: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
Good point. I do believe there is some dysfunction on the children's part. Prostitution is widely seen as an immoral profession in the United States. To have a mother or father that is a prostitute, the child may face some ridicule by society.

On the spousal part, do you mean will a prostitute be able to attract a "decent" spouse?
I don't consider ridicule by others as important. More important, would be the internal conflict in a child whose mother was a prostitute. I would think a child in this position would either see this as wrong, or create a life not bound by the rules of society. Yes, prostitution is legal in NV and RI, but in general, it would hardly be seen as an honorable vocation. As for having a spouse that is a prostitute, the whole fidelity issue would seem a moot point---unless, of course, she was doing it for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2008, 07:29 PM
 
369 posts, read 681,790 times
Reputation: 442
reviewjournal.com -- News: Prostitution lobbyist faithful to cause
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2008, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Asheville NC
109 posts, read 372,432 times
Reputation: 34
That is totally circular logic. The societies of NV and RI have no relevent "rules" and so nobody is "bound" by them when they do not exist. Prostitution IS an honorable profession and no child should be bound in any way by how it is "seen" by some out of state "society".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2008, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Jefferson City, MO
22 posts, read 67,010 times
Reputation: 14
Do children that are adopted by two gay parents have issues such as this?? If you think they DO grow up with internal conflict, why? If you think they DO NOT grow up with internal conflict, then why would a child of a prostitute be any different if they were raised by a loving parent(s). I believe that in both cases, each would probably grow up being more tolerant of others who are different, given that they were properly guided through life's unfortunate truths (i.e. it ain't all roses for everyone).

There are tons of other variables as well, like education...it would be tough to say that having a parent that is a prostitute CAUSES things...CORRELATION, maybe....

Somebody needs to do one of those long term cross-section studies....any takers??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top