Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 11:57 AM

15 posts, read 46,134 times

Advertisements

Morning. I have been reading a lot of threads on this form in regards to Pahrump. This form has some very good information.

My parents are moving out of CA and would like to buy a place in NV. I live in Vegas as prefer not to have them here due to being so busy and a rat race. They only have a budget of $250K so they are limited to options in terms of cities they can live in. We looked at Boulder city as well as mesquite but prices are way higher than what they would like to spend. So this left us with option of Pahrump. We came down there 3-4 times already and they liked it a lot. Even I loved it.

The community they are looking at is either the new Lennar homes (Pleasant valley) or Cottage woods on Bell Vista. Any specific advise on these areas? Pros and Cons

Ready up on some things about water shortage?? as well as sinking homes??.

Water -I did read that we all get the water from an Aqufers. How bad is this issue? If someone had to guess home many approx year would it take to get this dry?

Sinking Homes - I am sure if this might not be an issues these days as new builder are coming in but should they be worried about this?

Summer/ Winter- They are looking at 1700sq ft home.. Approx how much are the utility cost during summer with AC running? They do not always use AC as they get cold fast but still to keep in mind. What do the temp run in summer or Winter?

Internet - I read that Valley is the main provider but it takes them a month to have it all setup? True?

These are some thing I had concerns about and wanted to ask. I will ask more if some thing else comes to mind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 06:58 PM

2,846 posts, read 4,516,151 times
cottage woods on bell vista - do you mean cottage grove on basin? i've not heard of cottage woods.

both subdivisions have hoa fees & both are on public utilities, not private well/septic.

cottage grove subdivision is located in the central part of town (basin/blagg area). it was/is built by classic homes construction, a local company. cottage grove has been built in 2 phases. the 1st phase was built & sold by classic homes, that was done...5 yrs ago? construction slowed until the last yr or so. now that it's back on track, i'm not sure if classic homes is still building the homes. i know they are not the sellers anymore. classic builds good quality homes.

pleasant valley subdivision is located on the southern end of town (homestead/thousandaire area). i know 1 person that lives in this subdivion. the only complaint is that she is so far from everything - bank, grocery store, work.

sinking homes do exist. strict building codes were adopted in 2005. the soil consistancy differs thru out the valley. that in combination of poor building codes led to sinking homes. do your homework & you will be fine.

my house is a stick built house, almost 1800 sq ft. we keep the temp at 80 during the summer, 70 during the winter. we have valley electric as our isp, which is $50/mo. this fee is included with our power bill. our highest bill is $275/mo.

valley electric is one isp out here. it is not the only one. valley has dreams of bringing fiber to each home out here, i know they have started the project in mountain falls & the winery area. not entirely sure when they will make it to the rest of us. in the meantime, they offer broadband which is pretty dang good. i'm not sure about their wait times to get it installed.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:04 AM

Sorry Yes Cottage Grove. The subdivision on basin is being built by Double M construction.

Old 01-27-2020, 04:00 PM

double m contruction is the same thing as classic. good to know they are still building

Old 01-27-2020, 04:05 PM

I heard they got the contract for constructing homes for the race track.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:43 AM

1,080 posts, read 2,256,207 times
What race track is that and where will it be located?

Old 01-28-2020, 10:31 AM

there are 2 racetracks in town - 1 is a dirt track, located behind the dmv on basin & the other is a paved track, located on hwy 160 (spring mountain). you pass it on your way into town.

Old 01-28-2020, 02:40 PM

I am speaking about the Spring Mountain one.

Old 01-28-2020, 05:09 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,256,207 times
OK thanks.

Old 01-28-2020, 05:23 PM

Assume if my parents want to use propane to do their cooking, what is normal cost to filling the tanks in the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada