Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 08:39 PM

270 posts, read 305,657 times

Advertisements

We are now in Ely and it's smokefree unlike Reno with an aqi of 300 plus. Warning - be sure to go 25 mph in the small towns. A sheriff car followed me in Eureka (70 miles) from Ely and was about to give me a ticket because I was going 35 mph in a 25 mph =. Let me go with a warning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 08:43 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,013,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandissf View Post
We are now in Ely and it's smokefree unlike Reno with an aqi of 300 plus. Warning - be sure to go 25 mph in the small towns. A sheriff car followed me in Eureka (70 miles) from Ely and was about to give me a ticket because I was going 35 mph in a 25 mph =. Let me go with a warning!
70 Miles? They got that much time?
Was he using radar or laser?

Old 07-27-2021, 05:49 AM

270 posts, read 305,657 times
Yeah, they are pretty bored out in Eureka Nevada. This sheriff officer had no markings on his vehicle and just started following us on the highway with this loud siren blaring. I thought he was some Qnon crazed good ole boy until my wife called 911 and said in fact it was law enforcement so I stopped. This part of Nevada is like another world . Off to Great Basin Park today and then later in week to lights of Sin City!

Old 07-27-2021, 07:10 AM

783 posts, read 839,077 times
Welcome to rural Nevada.

Speeding through a small town, refusing to pull over for a police officer for 70 miles and you only get a warning! That’s jail time in many places lol.

Definitely a nicer world in rural Nevada.

Don’t forget to stop at Cathedral Gorge on the way to Vegas.

https://travelnevada.com/road-trips/

Old 07-27-2021, 08:25 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
I drove from Tahoe to LV there was a town sign along the road called Hell. Aptly named. Watch your gas gauge.

Old 07-27-2021, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Yeah, they are pretty bored out in Eureka Nevada. This sheriff officer had no markings on his vehicle and just started following us on the highway with this loud siren blaring. I thought he was some Qnon crazed good ole boy until my wife called 911 and said in fact it was law enforcement so I stopped. This part of Nevada is like another world . Off to Great Basin Park today and then later in week to lights of Sin City!
Good old boy like the guy in the ol Dodge commercial-"You in a heap of trouble boy". You sure that unit didn't have (PC) probable cause? (Driving under the minimum speed limit or driving over the maximum limit?) Which Law Enforcement agency was that? 70 miles is a long way. Jurisdiction is in question. Sounds like an undercover unit. He was running Code 3 on you with red lights and siren on?
Just curious

Old 08-02-2021, 09:13 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
Quote:
It really is...

I'd completely forgotten how close Ely is to GBNP-- hope you enjoyed it.

Old 08-03-2021, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT View Post
Welcome to rural Nevada.

Speeding through a small town, refusing to pull over for a police officer for 70 miles and you only get a warning! That’s jail time in many places lol.

Definitely a nicer world in rural Nevada.

Don’t forget to stop at Cathedral Gorge on the way to Vegas.

https://travelnevada.com/road-trips/

I fully agree. If you drive 70 miles with a police vehicle chasing you code 3 red lights and siren and you don't stop over 70 miles , you will get jail time for evading. There will also be other units following with maybe air enforcement above you. Must be more to this.

Old 05-06-2023, 04:35 PM

10 posts, read 12,992 times
Recently drove this on a road trip from England, we stayed overnight in Ely before going west to Lake Tahoe. The quietest parts were between Austin and Middlegate although I found the US93 south from West Wendover was just as quiet. We passed a guy walking with a suitcase at one point probably between Austin and Eureka.

We'd done a little bit of research before we went, so we had lots of water and a full tank but hadn't looked too much into the towns so leaving Ely early morning we got to Eureka by about 1030 and felt it was too early to eat so decided we'd just get lunch at the next town which was like 75 miles away (which to someone from England is crazy), well that was abit of a mistake because Austin had nothing open other than a gas station. There were a few diners/restaurants in the town but the lady at the station said they don't open till 5pm. So we got back in the car and saw it was 110 miles to the Fallon.

Despite thinking I had a pretty good knowledge of the US I definitely got Nevada wrong, I had no idea it had so many areas of high terrain so when it started snowing we were abit shocked. Overall though the part of US50 we did was amazing and something we'll likely never see again.

Old 05-06-2023, 04:37 PM

374 posts, read 258,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbm1 View Post
Recently drove this on a road trip from England, we stayed overnight in Ely before going west to Lake Tahoe. The quietest parts were between Austin and Middlegate although I found the US93 south from West Wendover was just as quiet. We passed a guy walking with a suitcase at one point probably between Austin and Eureka.

We'd done a little bit of research before we went, so we had lots of water and a full tank but hadn't looked too much into the towns so leaving Ely early morning we got to Eureka by about 1030 and felt it was too early to eat so decided we'd just get lunch at the next town which was like 75 miles away (which to someone from England is crazy), well that was abit of a mistake because Austin had nothing open other than a gas station. There were a few diners/restaurants in the town but the lady at the station said they don't open till 5pm. So we got back in the car and saw it was 110 miles to the Fallon.

Despite thinking I had a pretty good knowledge of the US I definitely got Nevada wrong, I had no idea it had so many areas of high terrain so when it started snowing we were abit shocked. Overall though the part of US50 we did was amazing and something we'll likely never see again.

Coming from England, this must be quite the adventure for you lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada