U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2008, 02:14 PM

85 posts, read 254,646 times

Advertisements

Vegas is nice for folks that like warmer weather. I personally would never live in KS or OK cause I don't do tornados or flat lands and at least NV has mountains in CA, AZ and UT close by...or drive up north in NV to Reno/Lake Tahoe. You can swim 7-8 months a year here; folks with Harleys love the extended motorcycle season compared to Alaska, Minnesota or Wisconsin. NV overall is just like any other place - depends on what you're lookin' for.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 01:12 AM

12,686 posts, read 31,776,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
A huge number of American states are boring by definition: Oklahoma, Iowa, Idaho, New Mexico, Nebraska, Vermont, and a few others. You could also say New York would be boring w/o NYC or say Illinois would be boring w/o Chicago.
I agree on all but New Mexico which is actually a lot like Nevada except prettier.

Don't forget that Nevada is the most mountainous state in the lower 48, and I originally came from "The Mountain State", West Virginia. I can't live where there are no mountains. Would rather be on a mountain top any day than in a city, but cities are usually both interesting and exciting.

This is one of my favorite Edward Abbey quotes:

“Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread. A civilization which destroys what little remains of the wild, the spare, the original, is cutting itself off from its origins and betraying the principle of civilization itself.”

― Edward Abbey, Desert Solitaire

Old 08-21-2013, 09:15 AM

12,411 posts, read 16,406,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
meh.....people derive happiness through a multitude of different things. some people are most in tune when completely stimulated while others derive immense joy through absolute solitude and peace. and IMHO, there are those lucky few of us who get happiness from either. (the unfortunate corollary being that we need/desire to have both )

calling people shallow because they desire to be "synthetically entertained" is no better than calling nature boring....to each his/her own.
The healthy thing, to me, is being in touch with yourself. For some, nature does that, but not for all. I will venture that there are just as many, percentage wise, mentally troubled people living close to nature as there are in cities. It's all up to the individual.

Life in the wilderness and in cities just take different 'tool sets' to survive well. Once you've mastered these, you can be at home in either. They each have their own challenges.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:54 AM

4 posts, read 6,691 times
Perception As Defined By Age.

0-10>> Snow,snow,snow (Canada ey) and disgustingly humid summers. Dirtbikes, lacrosse and hockey.
11-20>> Same climate, but discovering the beauty of Northern Ontario was quite enchanting. Same for dirtbikes, lacrosse and hockey. And somewhere in there came girls girls girls! And not the Elvis movie. Well, maybe, Nevada was the kings second home.
21-30>> As a member of the Syracuse Orangemen Lacrosse Team (GO ORANGE) boy was it ever girls, girls, girls! Anyway, climate, landscape, summer, winter same as my hometown. BUT, BUT, BUTT, my lacrosse experience has led me around the world and by far the most mind numbing, crotch swelling scenery I have ever witnessed was the desert landscape of Utah (felt like I was in a roadrunner cartoon) not to be outdone by what lies in Southern Nevada.
31-40>> Twice yearly sojourns to Utah and Nevada for RVing, hiking, biking, dirtbiking. Even my two boys finally started to appreciate the natural splendor they were witnessing.
41-44>> I wish retirement would hurry the fcvk up! I know there's a home with my name on it in Pahrump. Vegas too big, but with Pahrump in such close proximity, it's a natural fit as I love live rock and roll and many a great classic rock band still peruse Vegas frequently.

To each his own, many do not understand my passion for the dry arid naked mountains and formations of the desert landscape. I grew up with stifling cold and miserable humidity. Lush green surroundings, not to be outdone by stagnant pollution and an immigration policy that has swelled the population to over 8 million in the golden horseshoe area (Toronto).
My paradise awaits, sooner would be bettor(get it, Nevada) boo, bad joke. As it stands I still visit twice a year, but have to return to the nauseating political correct world known as Toronto.
Sidebar: As a reader of Timmy Leary and Hunter S. (And no never been an avid drug user) although I tried smoking a J but didn't inhale(thx bill) I must confess sitting on Mount Charleston and popping and opiate is (fill in blank with adjective).

Old 09-15-2013, 11:24 AM

231 posts, read 250,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrup of Ipacac View Post
Sidebar: As a reader of Timmy Leary and Hunter S. (And no never been an avid drug user) although I tried smoking a J but didn't inhale(thx bill) I must confess sitting on Mount Charleston and popping and opiate is (fill in blank with adjective).
I recently applied to a job in Las Vegas, so naturally I've been daydreaming about living in the area. I googled some pictures of Mt. Charleston and the surrounding area.. was very impressed. If i ever live in the area, I'm going to be spending a lot of time up there. As a few have mentioned, It's really cool how these mountains just kind of pop up out of the desert.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:20 PM

12,686 posts, read 31,776,724 times
I haven't had time to read this yet but it looks like it belongs on this thread. Bouncing around the back roads to find out where we've been and where we are - Las Vegas Sun News

Old 10-06-2013, 12:52 AM

28 posts, read 111,420 times
I just moved to Pahrump and absolutely love it! I lived in central Ohio my whole live and moving here with my mother and father has been an awesome journey! I feel at peace here in the desert. My mind is calm, i feel "home" is right here in Pahrump. The sunshine is absolutely amazing even though I am allergic and avoid being in direct sunlight due to the horrible skin rashes that occur. But there is always sunblock.

I am very happy that we moved here for "our" retirement. I am disabled and unable to work for a living which is the reason I live with my parents. Being an only child has it's benefits. I love looking out our front or back door and seeing those amazing mountains that surround Pahrump. I am in awe living here. There is nothing boring about Nevada. I don't do well with over-stimulation such as large cities, bright lights everywhere, large, congested roads, sounds everywhere, etc, so living in Pahrump is just perfect for me. It stinks that we are about 45 minutes or so from Vegas but at least it's accessible. Looking outside while we are driving around Pahrump, seeing the vast open areas with brush and tumbleweeds, desert landscaping with some grass here and there in the communities is just so peaceful for me. I guess this open landscape is just want the doctor ordered for us. I hated being in cities and seeing houses everywhere, buildings everywhere, no real landscape other than green lawns and flower beds, and trees everywhere. That isn't entertaining to me, it feels claustrophobic to me. I didn't realize why I was so unhappy in Ohio.

Seeing this landscape and sunshine brings me a lot of joy. I am not bored at all. I love the quiet, subtle life that surrounds us here.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:52 PM

12,411 posts, read 16,406,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt-Dun View Post
I just moved to Pahrump and absolutely love it! I lived in central Ohio my whole live and moving here with my mother and father has been an awesome journey! I feel at peace here in the desert. My mind is calm, i feel "home" is right here in Pahrump. The sunshine is absolutely amazing even though I am allergic and avoid being in direct sunlight due to the horrible skin rashes that occur. But there is always sunblock.

I am very happy that we moved here for "our" retirement. I am disabled and unable to work for a living which is the reason I live with my parents. Being an only child has it's benefits. I love looking out our front or back door and seeing those amazing mountains that surround Pahrump. I am in awe living here. There is nothing boring about Nevada. I don't do well with over-stimulation such as large cities, bright lights everywhere, large, congested roads, sounds everywhere, etc, so living in Pahrump is just perfect for me. It stinks that we are about 45 minutes or so from Vegas but at least it's accessible. Looking outside while we are driving around Pahrump, seeing the vast open areas with brush and tumbleweeds, desert landscaping with some grass here and there in the communities is just so peaceful for me. I guess this open landscape is just want the doctor ordered for us. I hated being in cities and seeing houses everywhere, buildings everywhere, no real landscape other than green lawns and flower beds, and trees everywhere. That isn't entertaining to me, it feels claustrophobic to me. I didn't realize why I was so unhappy in Ohio.

Seeing this landscape and sunshine brings me a lot of joy. I am not bored at all. I love the quiet, subtle life that surrounds us here.
Ah-ha. You are in Art Bell territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or