Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 12,472 times

Advertisements

Hi, I will be moving to Elko, Nv very soon and have so many questions...
I know the mines are pretty big out there, but I will be looking for a lower government positions. It seems that the market is pretty open over there?
I'm coming from Southern California (so I'm used to the hustle of bigcity life) and eventhough I love the mountains, I know that there will be an adjusting period. How is the outdoor recreation? Is it all pretty easy to get to?
My husband and I are hoping to rent a house (considering the market on apartments seem to be backed up). But we're having a hard time finding anything online?? Any suggestions?
Oh, and how are the people? And I mean honestly?? I know that it's a small town, and from what I hear, everyone should be nice (and perhaps a bit nosey?)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 11:49 PM

2 posts, read 21,537 times
We moved from the Tehachapi area two years ago. We were used to the snow but not the LOOOONNNNGGGG winters. If you're into winter sports (skiing, snow shoeing, snowmobiling, etc) you'll love it. Otherwise, be sure to have an inside hobby ready! We'll be moving to Arizona in a couple of months. VERY sad to leave this gorgeous town but it's just too cold, too long! Also, the people are VERY friendly.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:10 PM

207 posts, read 734,100 times
ACtually You will find most Nevadans a whole lot less nosy then Californians.

They will wave hello, and as long as you are a good neighbor, they wont bother you. Its a very independent "live and let live" state.. people are not up in your business as much as they are in California.

I moved to NV from California about 5 years ago and love it here.. however I am down near the Vegas area.

As long as you never say the words "But thats not the way we did it in California" you will be fine.. lol

Seriously.. good luck with the move and enjoy!

Old 10-14-2008, 01:01 PM

3 posts, read 35,335 times
Default "lllloonnnn winters"

You know everything is relative so I am wondering what those of you who don't like the winters there are calling Long? I mean how long is long?

Your stats are very similar to ours in Wenatchee,,,more snowfall maybe, but drier overall. We are at the same temp currently but your nights are colder. Our elevation difference is huge though, we are only at 600 ft. However, we can drop way down into the below zeros at night and teens during the day. Winter can arrive end of Oct, but generally does not come til Thanksgiving and last til say March. Now last winter was an exception for everyone. We thought winter was on its way out in mid Feb just to see it come back and snow in March....even in April. Spring sees us in the 60 to 75 degree marks in April moving on up and down til we see 100's in July and August. This year again has been an exception to every rule.
How does that compare to Elko.

People complain that there is nothing to do, but again that is relative to the person.

We are just looking to stop getting beat up by the economy and find consistent work. We've had it with our town and I am still not working after nearly a year. My husband had to supplement his business by going back to work full-time only to be informed now that they will be layed off for about two months over Christmas! We don't care how boring it is! Just need to make a decent living.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:30 PM

402 posts, read 1,527,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobaddays View Post
You know everything is relative so I am wondering what those of you who don't like the winters there are calling Long? I mean how long is long?

Your stats are very similar to ours in Wenatchee,,,more snowfall maybe, but drier overall. We are at the same temp currently but your nights are colder. Our elevation difference is huge though, we are only at 600 ft. However, we can drop way down into the below zeros at night and teens during the day. Winter can arrive end of Oct, but generally does not come til Thanksgiving and last til say March. Now last winter was an exception for everyone. We thought winter was on its way out in mid Feb just to see it come back and snow in March....even in April. Spring sees us in the 60 to 75 degree marks in April moving on up and down til we see 100's in July and August. This year again has been an exception to every rule.
How does that compare to Elko.

People complain that there is nothing to do, but again that is relative to the person.

We are just looking to stop getting beat up by the economy and find consistent work. We've had it with our town and I am still not working after nearly a year. My husband had to supplement his business by going back to work full-time only to be informed now that they will be layed off for about two months over Christmas! We don't care how boring it is! Just need to make a decent living.

If you want steady, long term employment, mining is not for you. Mining is a very volitile industry and mines have closed down with little to no warning. I live in Ely, and thought I havent lived thru the mining slowdown (yet, they say its comming again in a few years), Ive heard it becomes nearly a ghost town. Property values plummet and unemployment soars in the double digits.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:50 AM

99 posts, read 416,670 times
Default Not missing Califonia

I think moving from southern California (So. Orange County) to Elko County, NV was one of the best things I've ever done. I love the openness of the area, the natural beauty, no traffic, and the lower cost of living. People are friendly and I have yet to have to wait to play a round of golf. Granted, it has already snowed once, and I know a lot more is coming, which will take some getting used to for sure, but I think it'll be okay.

One thing to take into consideration, however, is just how remote the area is, though that's sort of a plus, in my opinion. When you want to fly back home, as I am this week for a 3-day weekend, you either fly out of Salt Lake City (2.5-3 hour drive), or Elko, which is more expensive. I chose to fly out of Elko into Salt Lake then onto Orange County, but the flight cost me about $400. I won't be doing that all the time.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:03 PM

173 posts, read 979,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uli2000 View Post
If you want steady, long term employment, mining is not for you. Mining is a very volitile industry and mines have closed down with little to no warning. I live in Ely, and thought I havent lived thru the mining slowdown (yet, they say its comming again in a few years), Ive heard it becomes nearly a ghost town. Property values plummet and unemployment soars in the double digits.
It's not? My dad has been involved in mining for his entire life. Coal mines in Wyoming, then gold mining in Elko. He's retiring from Newmont next year, he's been there 20 years, and has done very well.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:36 AM

sounds like my hubby should get to know your dad! Newmont is the one place he is really trying to get on with. The recruiter has forwarded his resume on for consideration for an entry level truck haul position. That's the last we've heard. He is going to go to the job fair in Reno in a couple weeks and bug the heck out of the guy til he gives him a job )

Remote, is not something we are unfamiliar with or dislike. We are just tired of the stuck up snobby town we live in and we are far from hickish! We just want simply people and simple lives...maybe that is too much to ask for in this day in age?

My teenagers don't even mind the idea of moving there which is always a good sign with kids!

Old 11-25-2008, 07:19 AM

25 posts, read 91,155 times
My husband is talking to a job recruiter, as well, who tells him that Newmont is getting ready to hire 30 people very quickly. Does anyone know anything about Newmont? Is it a good company to work for?

Old 11-29-2008, 01:00 PM

What recruitor, Newmont has their own recruiting staff. And hiring for what positions, did they say?
Newmont and Barrack are the two big Mining companies, they seem to both have a good reputation but Newmont is union and Barrack is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada