Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 10:51 AM

230 posts, read 675,948 times

Advertisements

I was out walking my dog late last night and was struck by the magnificent chorus of crickets singing in the warm night air. My years in the Bay Area were largely devoid of this lovely sound, and it was just nice to hear. A plus of life OUT of the big city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 02:00 PM

8 posts, read 28,486 times
sounds great, but watch out for the steriod enhanced cockroaches that are huge and fast as hell! they get into your house under the door!

Old 08-29-2008, 05:01 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,277,930 times
LOL, steroid enhanced cockroaches. That's one good term for them. Some are as big as chihuahuas out here.
I also like crickets, but what drives me nuts is when one gets in the house, and it's doing it's chirping thing and I can never locate it. But my cats can home in on it instantly.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
LOL, steroid enhanced cockroaches. .
Reminds me of those Orkin commercials -- "May I place this on your table?" Those big bugs are soooo creepy and I LOVE them!

Old 09-09-2008, 06:18 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,663,267 times
What part of the Bay Area are you from, Doberpup? I'm originally from Santa Rosa/Napa, and we had plenty of crickets. The only difference is that the Vegas crickets are striped, while the North Bay ones were mostly all brown, or occasionally green.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
What part of the Bay Area are you from, Doberpup? I'm originally from Santa Rosa/Napa, and we had plenty of crickets. The only difference is that the Vegas crickets are striped, while the North Bay ones were mostly all brown, or occasionally green.

I was raised in Milpitas (North San Jose area). When we moved there in 1960 it was very rural and there were crickets, but things boomed, and by the time I left in '92 all you could hear at night was traffic noise and boom boxes

Old 09-10-2008, 11:08 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,618,691 times
I'm very fortunate to live wayyyy out of the built up areas of Carson/ Reno and our night sounds are great! Of course there are the crickets...their just background noise. Owls, coyotes, nighthawks, kitfoxes, even the occassianal badger are common. In the mountains east of here the hair on the back of your neck gets stood up regular by mountain lions wailing. ( that is a WILD sound). I love living in the sticks.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:30 PM

85 posts, read 287,317 times
I am laughing about the striped cricket comment. You looked at them up close? I am so afraid of bugs it's not funny. I am okay with their noise - just don't show their faces!! LOL!

Old 10-03-2008, 01:40 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,277,930 times
tm, I actually look at bugs up close. Depending on what type of course. Crickets are ok. The worst they will do is jump on you. They are harmless. Cats love to play with them because they hop.
There are some almost microscopic bugs that I see now and then, especially now for some reason. I get the magnifying glass out and look at them. It's really interesting to me how such a tiny speck can have such detail when looking at them super closeup. Stripes, dots, different patterns, etc.
Bugs are always more afraid of you then them. Except of course for the new breed of giant roach/waterbug. They will literally chase you. So have fun with that when you see one.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:52 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,101,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoberPup View Post
I was out walking my dog late last night and was struck by the magnificent chorus of crickets singing in the warm night air. My years in the Bay Area were largely devoid of this lovely sound, and it was just nice to hear. A plus of life OUT of the big city.
since what we have are called mormon Crickets those were probably the Mormon Tabernacle Choir crickets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada