U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2007, 07:08 PM

8 posts, read 14,182 times

Advertisements

isn't it true that bicycling on the sidewalk is illegal in the state of Nevada?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 02:33 AM

9,951 posts, read 22,176,388 times
I heard that it is. But, alot of people that don't want to become roadkill ride on the sidewalk.
In many neighborhoods in the master planned communities, the sidewalks are part of their trail system. So you can legally ride on the sidewalks there as you connect to other trails.
Do not ride your bike in the street under any circumstances unless you don't value your life. I don't care what the stupid laws say, riding in the street is dangerous. The majority of people are yakking away on their cell phones, and they don't see you, on your bike, until after they hit you. And even then, alot just keep going.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:58 PM

326 posts, read 371,534 times
[quote=PinkString;394291]I heard that it is. But, alot of people that don't want to become roadkill ride on the sidewalk.
QUOTE]

Quite a while back, I saw an episode of "Cops", I think in Las Vegas and I do quite vividly remember seeing a biker getting in trouble for riding his bicycle on the sidewalk.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:55 PM

1,195 posts, read 4,993,294 times
I would think that if the bikes were to yield to the pedestrians they could ride on the sidewalks but I haven't seen one yet that does, they tend to ride expecting the walkers to get out of the their way. So in that case it should be against the law and would hope they give citations or warnings. Sorry to be a party pooper but here in Alaska the bicyclist are very rude in taking over the side walks when we cater to their needs and pave a bike paths and they won't use them. Too bad we couldn't come up with a bike lane on the streets and make all happy.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:12 PM

9,951 posts, read 22,176,388 times
I am a bicyclist, but i always yield for walkers. I stop my bike, and let them pass, then i get back on when they are gone. I will not ride in the street as people see me as a target. Luckily though where I live, the sidewalks aren't just sidewalks. They are part of the trail system, and that's the only place I ride my bike. I would never ride on the main streets of town or anything. Ive got 26 miles of the trail system where I am, and that's enough.

I have a friend in Calif, he rides his bike to work, to church,etc, that's his main mode of transportation. He never rides on the sidewalks, always in the designated bike lane, or on the dirt sides of the road. He obeys all the rules of the roads,etc. He has been hit 4 times already, ends up in the hospital with broken bones, bike always mangled, luckily he's survived so far. If he could ride on a bike trail or sidewalk, i doubt he would have been hit so much.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:55 PM

326 posts, read 371,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I am a bicyclist, but i always yield for walkers. I stop my bike, and let them pass, then i get back on when they are gone. I will not ride in the street as people see me as a target. Luckily though where I live, the sidewalks aren't just sidewalks. They are part of the trail system, and that's the only place I ride my bike. I would never ride on the main streets of town or anything. Ive got 26 miles of the trail system where I am, and that's enough.

I have a friend in Calif, he rides his bike to work, to church,etc, that's his main mode of transportation. He never rides on the sidewalks, always in the designated bike lane, or on the dirt sides of the road. He obeys all the rules of the roads,etc. He has been hit 4 times already, ends up in the hospital with broken bones, bike always mangled, luckily he's survived so far. If he could ride on a bike trail or sidewalk, i doubt he would have been hit so much.
in fact, I usually would only ride on the street as an absolute last resort. But with busy/main streets that have even moderate traffic, no way are my wheels even touching that pavement under ANY circumstances at all!!!

Old 03-29-2010, 10:53 PM

1 posts, read 8,395 times
I am an avid cyclist riding over 9,000 miles last year in and around Las Vegas. Although I have had a coulple of close calls riding on the streets, the sidewalks scare me more. If you think cyclists aren't seen in the street, they are even less visible on the sidewalks. Most car / bike accidents happen when a bike rides from the sidewalk into the crosswalk. Motorists turning into the crosswalk don't expect anyone to appear that quickly. Today I saw a sidewalk biker nearly get hit as a car turned into a business driveway. It's actually safer to ride in the street where you can be seen at a distance. No matter where you ride, WEAR A HELMET! There is also safety in numbers. Join a cycling club.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:43 PM

17,391 posts, read 21,228,976 times
When I bicycle on the sidewalks, I always dismount and walk, when confronted with other pedestrians, like PinkString does.

Fortunately, I work the graveyard shift, and on days off, I'm out bicycling around at 2-3am, a time at which couldn't be safer to ride a bicycle anywhere: neighborhoods deserted of traffic, and even crossing busy thoroughfares like Sahara or Flamingo, I barely have to turn my neck either direction to cross safely.

A favorite ride late night: hook the bike to the bus, ride out west as far as the bus goes, and cruise downhill to the Strip, where you barely have to pedal.

Also be aware that you're not allowed to use the drive-thru's at fast food chains at night on your bike.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 7,672 times
I was stopped the other day in North Las Vegas for riding on the sidewalk. I have been doing this for years with police passing me and doing nothing! I then told the officer that the reason I was on the sidewalk is because I did NOT want to be run over! He said that he would do the same thing!?! Is it not the job of our police to make sure we are safe? I wanted to tell him that if I were killed by a motorist while on my bike in the street that he would come to my rescue!!!! Or at least clean up the mess!?! Until they have safer bike paths they should not be so quick to stop people, kids, ect... Maybe if they catch some drunk driver we would ride in the streets, not fearing for our lives!!!

Old 10-29-2010, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 7,255 times
Riding in LV is dangerous because almost no one rides properly so the cars are not used to dealing with bike traffic. I cant tell you how many times I see people riding against the flow of traffic, or on the sidewalk with no helmets. Just do your homework, when your driving around town note the streets with the best shoulders and try to plan routes that avoid major streets that lack bike lanes. Make eye contact with drivers before riding in front of them at intersections, wear bright colors and get good at looking behind you while maintaining a straight line. When you're out there don't let people push you around, you have the legal right to be on the road, only by getting out and riding will we make this town more bike friendly. Ride like a car, and that means obeying traffic laws! Use hand signals, and don't pass cars on the shoulder at red lights, you're just doubling your chances of being hit because all those cars are going to have to pass you again, and to boot you're pissing people off. Lastly educate your friends! Not many people know bikes are illegal on the sidewalks unless the rider is below a certain age, or that bikes are supposed to be driven on the roadway in the same manner as a motor vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada