Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best town to live with young kids in Nevada ?
Las Vegas 11 10.78%
Boulder City 15 14.71%
Reno 13 12.75%
Henderson 21 20.59%
Other town not listed 18 17.65%
No place in Nevada - some other state 32 31.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 10:27 AM

24 posts, read 106,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
First of all, I would not raise a child in a town of over 10,000 people.
Second, I would make sure I have property that requires chores, horses, cows, sheep. Third I would give them the responsibility for care and chores.
Fourth I would give them the freedom of the hills.
A very weird comment. I can only say that I'm really glad to have grown up in a big city. How did you decide that the magic borderline is at 10,000 people? Small towns have lots of poverty and psychos.

A property that requires chores like horses, sheep, cows? You mean a farm I assume.

Giving your kids chores is also very possible in a city.

The freedom of the hills? How about the freedom of the city. People feel stuck in small towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 10:23 PM

98 posts, read 432,779 times
Default Prostitution

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtranaut View Post
This area is a grand paradox.

Yet, legal prostitution and gambling
Last time I checked prostitution wasn't actually "legal"

Old 05-13-2007, 06:41 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,304,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keikekai View Post
How cold in the winter ?
I don't want to deal with snow (so Reno's out)....
actually, in the winters the temperatures drop below freezing even in las vegas. then in the summers it is almost constantly above 95 during the day and above 80 at night.

i would recommend Phoenix instead. Maybe even try Palm Springs, CA. When someone says [b]"california"[b] people think busy, expensive, flashy. palm springs is nothing like that. not nearly as expensive as most of california, a lot to do. it is between los angeles and las vegas, so if you wanted, one day you could go to the beach and the next day be watching a magic show with your kids in vegas

Old 05-13-2007, 06:45 PM

3 posts, read 21,137 times
I have a teenager. We lived in Henderson for his freshman year. It's really not a very teen-friendly place. A lot of the people are very snotty there, and don't want teenagers anywhere near them.

Old 05-13-2007, 08:15 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,137,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
actually, in the winters the temperatures drop below freezing even in las vegas. then in the summers it is almost constantly above 95 during the day and above 80 at night.

i would recommend Phoenix instead. Maybe even try Palm Springs, CA. When someone says [b]"california"[b] people think busy, expensive, flashy. palm springs is nothing like that. not nearly as expensive as most of california, a lot to do. it is between los angeles and las vegas, so if you wanted, one day you could go to the beach and the next day be watching a magic show with your kids in vegas

Ahh please. Phoenix is warmer than Las Vegas is both winter and summer. That is a good thing in the winter and a bad thing in the summer. For summer heat Phoenix is clearly the worst in the SW. Even a little humid which adds to the misery.

Palm Springs is hotter than hades in the Summer and basically shut down from May till September. It is both expensive and difficult.

Old 05-13-2007, 08:17 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,137,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calliopem View Post
I have a teenager. We lived in Henderson for his freshman year. It's really not a very teen-friendly place. A lot of the people are very snotty there, and don't want teenagers anywhere near them.
Come over to the NW. We like our children. Actually hunt around a bit in Henderson. There are teen friendly places.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:39 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,670,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calliopem View Post
That is very true...I'm a sophomore now and am so glad we are finally out of HenderHell...the Galleria don't want us, the District don't want us, but the South Point loves us...for some reason, Texas Station doesn't want us either...

yes, everyone is snotty there as well and don't like pedestrians either...

Old 05-18-2007, 11:57 AM

359 posts, read 1,310,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euroASD View Post
A very weird comment. I can only say that I'm really glad to have grown up in a big city. How did you decide that the magic borderline is at 10,000 people? Small towns have lots of poverty and psychos.

A property that requires chores like horses, sheep, cows? You mean a farm I assume.

Giving your kids chores is also very possible in a city.

The freedom of the hills? How about the freedom of the city. People feel stuck in small towns.
I THOUGHT WEIRD TOO.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:03 PM

3 posts, read 11,477 times
Default Kids in Nevada

Gardnerville or Minden. A lot of people like Fernley, too. I prefer it a little greener. So, I say Gardnerville or Minden. Even Carson City. Check them all out.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:40 PM

11 posts, read 49,668 times
Boulder City is fantastic. The public schools are great. We've been here 4 years and have had only positive experiences. Hottest month is July, but if you love hot weather, it won't be an issue. The winter highs are around 40 to 45. NO SNOW. Very few gloomy days. The weather channel is very boring here and we know what to expect. It is windy a lot of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada