U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 10:40 PM

266 posts, read 857,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iakom928 View Post
NatureGuy, I am an ex-Cali (I moved to AZ first) and I completely understand and have been victim to the anti-Californian vibe here. Luckily with my short stay in AZ, it has made things a little easier, because now I tell EVERYONE I'm from AZ and they don't literally freak out towards me anymore.

We moved into the very northern part of Minden and absolutely have been loving it here. Though the 20 mile round trips to shop are inconvenient, but we have gotten used to it and since we work in CC we shop on our way home from work.
I always liked Minden. However, as i get up in age i wonder if I would have to drive 20 or more miles for adequate health care?

The proximity to Tahoe is a real treat! Skiing and sailing, how sweet is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 12:42 PM

5 posts, read 25,825 times
Thank you Nature Guy. Your post was extremely informative and helpful!

Old 12-06-2009, 11:19 PM

3 posts, read 14,168 times
Agreed! I was born and raised in Nevada, rolled with the changes and can't wait to get back.. I live in kauai right now and can't wait to get out of here. California refugees, throwing their money all over the place here. You see like it or not Nature Guy, most people have an issue with Californians becaues for the most part they are stuffy, pretentious and can't wait to brag about something. I am over them. While local Hawaiians struggle to pay their rent because California refugees have swarmed here with their money they made on real estate, DRIVE RENT AND PRICES so high the poor local hawaiians who lived here their entire lives are in poverty. anyway, without getting on a soap box, I don't want to see that happen to Nevada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghghx View Post
"More progressive". Interesting choice of words.

Not going to pick an argument with you, NatureGuy, but that kind of phrasing is exactly why there is tension between some transplants and the natives -- not just here, but anywhere. Being neither a CA nor NV native (I lived in Cali, but am not from there and neither loved nor hated it), I choose to be amused by it rather than let it bother me.

No matter where you move from, when you move to a new area, leave the old place behind. When a newcomer tries to impress the locals with where they came from and how "progressive" they are, it usually ends up unpleasantly. Then the newcomer wants to know why everyone they meet is "rude and stand-offish." If someone came into my turf and couldn't do anything but complain about it or look down their nose at it, I'd probably be rude and standoffish, too. If someone moved to your neighborhood and acted like they blessed the place by their mere presence, you'd be put off as well.

Best moving advice I ever got was there: Move to a place, not from one.
Second best moving avice I ever got was to not expect a place to be like any other place; expect it to be like itself.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:23 PM

3 posts, read 14,168 times
I geuss it must be a horrible thing to be put through all that negativity? I know California grew real fast, they are in debt and all. Just circumstance, Hawaiians are in poverty because wealthy folks from Cali (Bay Area and LA) sold their homes, made a mint, paid cash for house in Kauai, driving prices through the roof unfortunately so the folks now can't afford to pay to stay here. Its all circumstances I suppose. I love Nevada though... I wish you the best

Old 12-07-2009, 07:29 PM

10 posts, read 40,109 times
I noticed the area around the Sunridge Golf Course is considered Minden even though it is closer to Carson City. What is the area around L'Adagio and The Springs neighborhoods like? Is there any flood risk since the Carson River is close or are they elevated enough?

Old 12-26-2009, 09:11 PM

30 posts, read 349,630 times
If I was to buy a home in either Gville, Minden or Carson

If you like rural I would go with gville/minden

Carson is bigger but still small and homey.

All 3 have slight meth problems, all 3 are fairly boring lol but for some ppl thats what they want, all 3 are windy and cold in winter..
They kinda are all 3 very much alike.

When we first moved here 6 years ago, we choose Carson simply because I was going into community college here and I like being right down the road from stores and not so rural as Minden/Gville was.
So to be honest other then just your personal preference of how much driving you like to do or not do and how out in the country you like to be.
There arnt huge huge differences betweeen all 3 of them.

None of them are exactly crime ridden, all 3 are pretty clean depending in Carson exactly where your standing but for the most part you know.

I personally happen to like the older charm of Carson's Minnesota Street and back in the kinda Central West Downtownish Neighborhoods, if I was to buy a house here, thats where I would be. Its just got more charm and character to it and bigger trees then what I have seen in Gville and Minden.

And honestly I don't see much difference in the residences of all 3, most of us who live in Carson, have friends in Gville/Minden and spend time there, and most of them have to shop and work here, so were all just kinda muddled up and one in the same anyways in my opinion

Same thing for Cousin Dayton

Almost everyone who lives in Dayton came from Carson or Minden or Gville at some point..lol

Old 12-27-2009, 11:17 AM

33 posts, read 144,811 times
Default Don't forget Dayton

Thanks for the shoutout to Dayton.

When I moved up here two years ago, I considered Carson and Minden/G'ville and Dayton. I picked Dayton for the lower house prices and the golf. Dayton Valley is the best course this side of Tahoe. And you can afford to play it.

If you work in Carson, I think the drive from Dayton is much easier than the drive from Minden. Much less traffic and fewer lights. Shopping is better on the Minden end since the big malls are closer to Minden. But I play way more golf than I go shopping. If you ski a lot, Minden is closer to Tahoe.

Finally Dayton is a little lower elevation so it is slightly warmer and slightly less snow. Although this winter that means we only have 8 inches on the ground instead of a foot!

So check out all three areas and pick the one that suits you. You really can't go wrong in any of them. And if you really want rural -- don't overlook Moundhouse.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,883 times
It's mid 2010 and most of the posts on Carson City, Minden & G'ville are from 2007 thru early 2009. Given the many economic changes, would love to hear the current opinions of these three locations. In particular, the housing market, shopping areas (is this still a 20 mins drive?), medical facilities and weather. We currently live in NE Florida but looking at a few areas west (Central Oregon and CC )

Thank you

Old 07-23-2010, 01:32 PM

3 posts, read 7,747 times
Exclamation Curios Too!

Any newer information on the area? I saw here there are good parts and not-so-good parts to Carson City...what would be the zip codes for the more desireable areas? Thanks!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada