Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 04:08 AM

3 posts, read 22,523 times

Advertisements

I have read the your legislation allows women to breastfeed in public without being harassed. But I believe it is a fairly new law (2006/2007). In Australia, the legislation was passed quite a number of years ago, and public attitude towards breastfeeding in public is great here. (Even by the oldies)

Can somebody let me know what the general attitude is over there. I have heard some absolute horror stories of people throwing objects at breastfeeding mothers in the states etc, along with abuse etc.

Would love to here opinions

M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 08:43 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,745,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainmutt View Post
Can somebody let me know what the general attitude is over there. I have heard some absolute horror stories of people throwing objects at breastfeeding mothers in the states etc, along with abuse etc.
People throwing things at women breastfeeding? Not likely. The only thing they may throw at them if they are doing in public uncovered are some dirty looks. Don't believe everything you read and hear, sounds like you are hearing untrue rumors.

I have heard stories of breastfeeding mothers being asked to leave restaurants because they refused to cover up.

The public is pretty much split. People aren't against breastfeeding in public, but most people feel as though the woman should cover up with a blanket or something.

The controversy is there, but I can't see it ever getting really ugly and peopel throwing things at moms.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:23 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
Nobody throws things at breastfeeding mothers. However, they should cover up if they want to do that in public. Or go inside somewhere.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:57 AM

12 posts, read 57,612 times
I have nursed in public in Nevada (both Reno and Vegas) for a total of 7 years. I have never had any negative comment or look, or was asked to move.

I did not "cover up"- but 95% of the people have no idea you are nursing, they think you are just holding a baby. I have had people walk up and start speaking to me and not realize the baby was nursing.

I don't think you will have a problem.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:26 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,631,058 times
PinkString- I resent you telling me I "should" cover up if I want to "that" in public. That? Eating in public? Please tell me you're not one of those people who suggest we go into the bathroom to nurse our babies! Would YOU eat there?

I never had a problem in Reno. As Gronilot said, most of the time no one can tell anyway.

Grow up, America. That's what they're for! LOL!

Old 04-19-2007, 04:57 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronilot View Post
I have nursed in public in Nevada (both Reno and Vegas) for a total of 7 years.

I did not "cover up"- but 95% of the people have no idea you are nursing, they think you are just holding a baby.
I dunno....I think I'd "notice" if you had a 7 y/o hanging off of your breast.....lol. j/k- couldn't pass that one up.

Bob

Old 04-19-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Nobody throws things at breastfeeding mothers. However, they should cover up if they want to do that in public. Or go inside somewhere.
I'm a mom to two kids and I completely agree. It's perfectly fine to breastfeed in public, but it should be done discretely. Moms should cover up or go into a secluded area.

Changing a diaper is no different. It's normal and natural to change a baby's diaper. But moms by and large make sure they show some discretion in doing so.

Old 04-21-2007, 03:21 PM

252 posts, read 1,127,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
PinkString- I resent you telling me I "should" cover up if I want to "that" in public. That? Eating in public? Please tell me you're not one of those people who suggest we go into the bathroom to nurse our babies! Would YOU eat there?

I never had a problem in Reno. As Gronilot said, most of the time no one can tell anyway.

Grow up, America. That's what they're for! LOL!
Would you have a problem if I'd drop my pants to urinate in a cup in front of your table in a restaurant? Or to a lesser extent, would it bother you if I chewed with my mouth full, ate with my fingers and burped and farted throughout my meal right next to your table? Just because you do have the right to breastfeed in public doesn't make it proper in every situation. Most people, including myself, really don't care as long its done properly and discretely. If its done in a manner as to prove one's point, then I'm sure some would have some issues. Just like me dropping my pants, showing your breast to some in certain situations is TMI (too much information). Not equating showing my crank is equal to showing your stuff, whats legal is not always proper so don't thumb your nose @ others without expecting some reaction.

I had a family member brestfeed during a wedding reception. Since she is a doctor, maybe something like that didn't bother her. Well, it bothered others. But since she had the right to do it, she did.

For the ladies here, would you want children being breatfed during your reception dinner and any distractions or discomfort amongs the guests? After all, its legal. Is that worth it to prove a point?

All I'm asking for is the same consideration you want about this.

Old 04-21-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snb3 View Post

For the ladies here, would you want children being breatfed during your reception dinner and any distractions or discomfort amongs the guests? After all, its legal. Is that worth it to prove a point?

I certainly wouldn't want it done if it's not discrete. But then again, my family members would be discrete, they know better...

Old 04-21-2007, 10:15 PM

252 posts, read 1,127,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
I certainly wouldn't want it done if it's not discrete. But then again, my family members would be discrete, they know better...
I wish I could've said the same thing about my family. Cant believe anyone's self-righteous cause trumps any common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada