U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 08:11 AM

1,900 posts, read 1,827,563 times

Advertisements

This is pretty funny
Quote:
FERNLEY — Concerns of roaming cattle are leading to a recommendation that potential home buyers might want to drive around Fernley for a couple of days before they purchase property.

“Check it out,” Councilman Joe Mortensen said. “See if there’s a Wal-Mart here; see if the wind blows and see if a cow might leave a pile of manure in their frontyard.”
Mortensen mentioned people who purchase homes on the spur of the moment and later “complain for months afterward because of the wind, no stores and the cow messes in their frontyard.”
Mortensen also advised that when people move cattle, they should advise “there’s cows out there.”
The issue came to light following complaints from Desert Bluff subdivision property owners who found bulls grazing on their lawns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 09:21 PM

154 posts, read 840,409 times
Default Fernley

This post seems about right when it comes to Fernley. I visited Fernley this last weekend and I was really surprised at how little there really is there. I had read about Fernley on the internet and the home prices were lower and some people had some nice things to say. Fernley is an isolated little town 30 miles east of Reno. The town has nothing as far as stores are concerned. It is pretty much a truck stop on the highway that people have started relocating to. I could not believe that a town with that many people living there could have nothing so we drove around looking for where everything was. There really is nothing. I would not advise moving to Fernley in my opinion. There are much better places to move to and the prices are not so great that it is worth living there.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:39 AM

9,960 posts, read 22,187,223 times
It sounds like a nice little town to me.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:29 AM

185 posts, read 684,078 times
Default Consider This Before Moving To Fernley

Drinking water stations with addresses in Fernley and their reported violations:

FERNLEY PUBLIC WORKS (Address: FERNLEY PUBLIC WORKS, Population served: 14000, Groundwater):
Health violations:
MCL, Single Sample - Between JUL-2001 and SEP-2001, Contaminant: Arsenic
MCL, Single Sample - Between APR-2001 and JUN-2001, Contaminant: Arsenic
MCL, Single Sample - Between JAN-2001 and MAR-2001, Contaminant: Arsenic. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (JUN-29-2002), St Violation/Reminder Notice (JUN-29-2002)
MCL, Single Sample - Between OCT-2000 and DEC-2000, Contaminant: Arsenic
MCL, Single Sample - Between APR-2000 and JUN-2000, Contaminant: Arsenic
MCL, Single Sample - Between JAN-2000 and MAR-2000, Contaminant: Arsenic
MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In AUG-1999, Contaminant: Coliform
Monitoring violations:
Monitoring and Reporting Stage 1 - Between APR-2004 and JUN-2004, Contaminant: Total Haloacetic Acids (HAA5)
Monitoring and Reporting Stage 1 - Between JAN-2004 and MAR-2004, Contaminant: TTHM
Monitoring and Reporting Stage 1 - Between JAN-2004 and MAR-2004, Contaminant: Total Haloacetic Acids (HAA5)
Initial Tap Sampling for Pb and Cu - Between JAN-1993 and DEC-2025, Contaminant: Lead & Copper Rule
One routine major violation
2 minor violations
43 regular violations

This is why I crossed Fernley off my list. The Federal compliance date is 2007
and the city has an extention to 2009. The Arsenic levels are way over the max health limit.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:18 AM

High arsenic levels are not uncommon in Nevada wells.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:25 AM

9,960 posts, read 22,187,223 times
Well crap. There goes Fernley off my list. lol
Don't they sell purified water up there?

Old 04-05-2007, 07:34 AM

Sure you can but that does not remove the risk to exsposure.
Every time you take a shower or bath, go out to eat or buy fresh food you are being exsposed to the contaminents in the local water.
The city water needs to be filtered before it is used for anything other than industrial use. Maybe Walmart & Lowes can pay for the filter system that is needed since they will make lots of $ doing business there. just a thought.

This link was posted in a previous discussion it is very informative
www.ewg.org

Check it out

Old 04-05-2007, 07:54 AM

Depending on how the water system is set up, the well that would service your home, may not have high arsenic. If the system mixes water from different wells, then it may be a problem. However, you can put a filter on your home.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:43 AM

Yes you can for the right filter about $4500.00 + maintance but that only does the water in your home so you would need to eat only what you prepare at home with fresh food that you buy from a source from out of the area. Kind of defeats the reason for living there.
For me I think I would rather live in Reno or maybe Truckee.
Even Hawthorne has cleaner water than Fernley.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:27 AM

Very little food you eat comes from Fernley, or even Nevada. San Luis Obispo County in CA, alone has a higher ag production than all of Nevada.
Here is a URL for a good filter:http://www.lifesourcewater.com/water...xXkmyYgHM_Wx6r

Wells in the Reno area have arsenic.

Truckee has radon.

Life has challenges.

Nevada is a heavily hydrothermal state. There are well problems all over the state. Drill your well, put a filter on it and live your life, don't worry about it, you aren't getting out alive anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada