U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,761 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I'm thinking about moving to Gardnerville with my fiance and future stepson (3 years old). Right now we have two major reasons:

1. My son's grandparents are in Gardnernville
2. California sucks!

For a long time I've been wanting to get away from California because of the ridiculous cost of living, the housing crisis, the random taxes, and the extremely liberal environment. We live in wine country and we're not rich, so we really don't care to hang out with the locals and discuss the "bouquet" on the latest Zinfandel.

What we DO care about is:

1. Safe neighborhoods
2. A decent preschool
3. A more conservative, family-oriented scene
4. Friendly people!

So, to the locals, what's it like there in general? And do you think Gardnerville is a good place to find the 4 items above? Any feedback would be much appreciated!

P.S. My fiance is really into the outdoors, including hiking, hunting and fishing! That would be a huge plus for us.

Last edited by think_kittens; 05-19-2009 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: Thought of something else to ask about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 10:46 PM

16 posts, read 93,070 times
We moved to the Carson Valley from Arizona just over a year ago and have been loving it ever since. This area will meet and most certainly, exceed your 4 requirements. Plus, It has everything your Fiance could imagine. He will find Hunting buddies everywhere and Tahoe is a short 30 minutes away (Ok, 45 if its snowing, lol).
We settled in the very Northern area of the valley since its closer to our Carson City jobs.

The Bad...
Jobs! if you're not bringing a business with you, finding jobs will be very tough. Recently, there have been several large companies close down and driving through the industrial area there are more empty buildings than occupied ones. Businesses in Carson city are "leaned out" and for every job opening there are 50 to 100 people looking to fill it.

The other Bad... There is an almost open HATRED of Californians who move here. Several people I know have told me of Californians, "Come to gamble, OK, Move here, NO F$%'N WAY!"
So most people I've met I don't ever mention that before moving to Arizona (3 short years ago) I was a born & raised So. Cali native. My neighbor from Cali has been looking for a job for over 8 months with only 2 or 3 interviews and no offers, I told him to stop listing his Cali past on apps and BAM! 2 promising interviews in the last couple of weeks.
More Bad... If you do get a job offer, the pay offered will be (as I say this nicely) "Thrifty". Several times, I had been offered positions @ $9 to $13hr. This came as a quite a shock to me since my last job I made over 70k and managed a 4 million a month division within a 5 billion dollar year company. The company I work for now doesn't even do 4 mil in sales a year and at first I tried to help them out and show off my exec skills to help build their client base, even though they loved the new accounts, the owners were quite openly unappreciative of my efforts and since, I have throttled my skills way way back to the level of just another 40 hr week employee making a <very> crappy paycheck.

So if you guys can find jobs... GO FOR IT!! and hope to see you here soon.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:15 PM

2 posts, read 5,823 times
anyone know how jobs are for driving i have a class b cdl and am looking to move to the carson valley area

Old 09-09-2009, 09:04 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,472,576 times
i lived in gville for a few years, jobs are hard to get, but it sounds like everything thing else you are looking for however- schools are not so great, and there is alot of racisim. so becareful.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:42 AM

34 posts, read 105,906 times
Ok so, job situation bad. What about new businesses. Is there a particular demand for certain services or products in the carson valley area, or maybe Reno, which are still needed and going to be needed in the next years?

Old 05-04-2011, 04:13 PM

11,191 posts, read 10,210,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iakom928 View Post
The other Bad... There is an almost open HATRED of Californians who move here. Several people I know have told me of Californians, "Come to gamble, OK, Move here, NO F$%'N WAY!"

This comment comes from a 2009 post. I cut out most of the comment but wanted to ask about the OP's statement above.

Why are Californians so hated by Nevadans? Sorry to sound naive but I would never shun someone just because they moved to my area from another state.

I am now retired and not one of the wealthy retired people, either. I was considering moving to the Carson Valley for various reasons; the people, the slower pace of life and the scenery.

I've wanted to leave California for a number of years but I couldn't. I was raising a family and it just wasn't possible. Now that I might be able to live where I want to, at this time in my life, I won't be accepted as a member of a community because I lived in California? That seems pretty unfair and judgmental. I have never lived my life, thinking that I am better than anyone else. I enjoy helping my neighbors and my community. I am not a gambler. If I'm going to spend extra money, I would rather donate it to a local charity or do something nice for someone else.

I wonder ... do all Nevadans and Oregonians feel this way about Californians? When did this change? Or has it always been this way? For decades, generations of people have been moving all around this country, making new homes and building a life for their families. When did it become a society of such animosity towards other human beings simply because they weren't born, lived and died in one place?

Old 05-04-2011, 06:07 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,845,832 times
Gardnerville would be perfect for you. An being that so many people who live in GVIlle are from california you will be fine. No such thing as people disliking aor hating CA ressys. Since SO MANY have move this way and most Ressys are CA born and raised.

THere are no jobs really. If you have a craft or something maybe you can make some money from that. As far as what we need WE HAVE IT ALL and what we have is not making much money so many biz are closing.

Check out the Gardnerville Ranchhos very affordable and nice homes

Old 05-04-2011, 06:27 PM

11,191 posts, read 10,210,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30STM View Post
Gardnerville would be perfect for you. An being that so many people who live in GVIlle are from california you will be fine. No such thing as people disliking aor hating CA ressys. Since SO MANY have move this way and most Ressys are CA born and raised.

THere are no jobs really. If you have a craft or something maybe you can make some money from that. As far as what we need WE HAVE IT ALL and what we have is not making much money so many biz are closing.

Check out the Gardnerville Ranchhos very affordable and nice homes

Thanks for replying 30STM. Your comments make me feel a little better. I would never want to move to a community where I would be hated simply because I came from a place they didn't like. (Truth be told, I'm not that crazy about this state, either.) LOL

Employment isn't a concern to me (thankfully) but I do have hobbies that could generate a little income. I'm more interested in finding a place where I can enjoy the last chapter of my life, plant a little garden, share the bounty with my neighbors and new friends, read more great books, partake of community events and just "be."

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:37 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,845,832 times
your welcome..If you have antiques that you like to sell you can rent space at Cheshire [sp] antiques for about 100 dollars a month for a nice size booth. There is a pottery shop that gives classes, fact i am taking a jewelery making class there in a few weeks time. a great swimming center. Loads of local shows, markets an your close to Tahoe, which is filled with so many activities. Next door is Carson City. loads of shopping Costco, Walmart, Target, and Gottchalks plans on coming back. Lil bakeries the Brewry Arts Center and a few mom and pop eateries. If you ever need a recomendation let me know been to almost all of the Cultural and eateries in Carson, Minden, Genoa, Gardnerville. and parts of tahoe.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:46 PM

42 posts, read 108,904 times
Try Old town Minden, in between Carson City, Lake Tahoe and Gardnerville. Approx 50 miles south of Reno. Shopping, hospitals, houses of worship, schools and library very close. Many Cali transplants too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or