U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 12:26 AM

46 posts, read 83,795 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving up there and would like to hear from anyone thats lived up there. i dont have a 4 wheel drive car and i was wondering about the snow.

please chime in if you have any info about the place.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 11:23 PM

5,081 posts, read 9,088,459 times
Used to have a coworker who lived there when I was up in Reno. He said it was miserable even with a 4x4 because the snow clearance tends to be slow to clear the main passage towards Reno/Carson. Besides it was a labor of love, keeping rather old houses up to modern living conditions is difficult at best. But the guy loved the architecture and the setting and said he wouldn't live anywhere else.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:14 AM

2,818 posts, read 5,816,582 times
One of many places I regret not visiting while in Reno in 07.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:47 AM

357 posts, read 1,416,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Gun View Post
I am thinking about moving up there and would like to hear from anyone thats lived up there. i dont have a 4 wheel drive car and i was wondering about the snow.

please chime in if you have any info about the place.
thanks
Used to drive through Virginia City in all seasons.

If you don't have a 4x4, you'll find that getting in or out on the roads to be very difficult in the winter. The roads are narrow, windy, often have deer moving across them, can be covered in snow or ice depending on the time of day and the weather.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:04 AM

Thanks for your responses. I did move here and i will just have to see how things go. but i wont be here in the dead of winter..... it will be arizona for me from november to march. LOL
the place is wonderful in this summer weather but i can see where the winter is going to be pretty nasty. it is lovely here right now.... in fact i just saw a steam train go by.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:26 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,470,628 times
Quote:
Thanks for your responses. I did move here and i will just have to see how things go. but i wont be here in the dead of winter..... it will be arizona for me from november to march. LOL
the place is wonderful in this summer weather but i can see where the winter is going to be pretty nasty. it is lovely here right now.... in fact i just saw a steam train go by.
where in az do you go?

Old 08-16-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
where in az do you go?
i will go wherever i can get a safe and cheap place to live for a few months. i want to be there in jan and feb because i am gonna have to visit my folks in nov. and dec. i dont want to come back up to virginia city till at least march.
so...maybe phoenix or tucson.... or anywhere warm i can find place to stay. LOL

might start looking soon for those winter months.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:00 AM

7 posts, read 22,500 times
Quote:
i will go wherever i can get a safe and cheap place to live for a few months. i want to be there in jan and feb because i am gonna have to visit my folks in nov. and dec. i dont want to come back up to virginia city till at least march.
so...maybe phoenix or tucson.... or anywhere warm i can find place to stay. LOL

might start looking soon for those winter months.

I used to live in Tucson. If you end up in the Pheonix area, I recommend Scottsdale or Mesa. If you end up in Tucson, I recommend the North East part of the city. I love Tucson, but it's grown quite a bit since I left in 92, so I only have experience with passing through in recent years. They actually have traffic now! Never had that back then.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pira114 View Post
I used to live in Tucson. If you end up in the Pheonix area, I recommend Scottsdale or Mesa. If you end up in Tucson, I recommend the North East part of the city. I love Tucson, but it's grown quite a bit since I left in 92, so I only have experience with passing through in recent years. They actually have traffic now! Never had that back then.
i did live in tucson in 2003 and its not bad really.... but if i can get some place warmer like the phoenix area i think i would rather be there.
i'd like to have my windows open during the day and enjoy the sunshine.
i think in tuscon in january its too cold for that.

thanks for your suggestions for phoenix.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:30 PM

7 posts, read 22,500 times
Quote:
i did live in tucson in 2003 and its not bad really.... but if i can get some place warmer like the phoenix area i think i would rather be there.
i'd like to have my windows open during the day and enjoy the sunshine.
i think in tuscon in january its too cold for that.

thanks for your suggestions for phoenix.

In general, the Pheonix area is hotter in the summer and colder in the winter than the Tucson area. In Jan. it's probably in the low to mid '70's during the day. Nights are cold, but it's good during the day. Did all my fishing, hunting, and hiking during the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or