U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-06-2009, 07:39 AM

89 posts, read 147,750 times
Default Nevada Teacher Certification

I just got a job at a charter school in Nevada that I'm very happy about. I'll be teaching 9-12 English/Language Arts and History/Social Studies, and while I don't need the provisional certifications in hand to start the year, I do need to get started on the process.

I've got North Carolina SP1 certification and Texas one-year certification in 9-12 English -- I got those for my job search (as well as a Florida Statement of Status of Eligibility) but don't have teaching experience in those states. Nevada is stingy with reciprocity in these cases, so I'm just starting from scratch.

I have a BA from Yale, an MAT from Boston University, and loads of undergraduate and graduate credits in English/language arts, history/social studies, and education. However, Nevada is more sub-specific on the coursework you need to have taken than any other state I have looked into. Nine areas are specified for English/language arts majors, seven for history/social sciences majors; the requirements are a smidge easier if those were your minors (but Lord help you if you were a history major who didn't take other the social sciences). The state will issue provisional certifications with up to six credit-hours of course deficiencies to be made up within three years.

I was an American Studies major, so I have no idea what Nevada will consider me. My MAT is in English education. You would think I would be all covered on the English side, but I haven't taken a course in "Linguistics or the history of language." Fortunately, I did take courses in "Descriptive grammar," journalism, and theatrical arts (as I said, this is sub-specific!).

On the history/ss side, I haven't taken a college course in economics (although I have taught high school economics, go figure) or in "Ethnic studies" per se, although I suppose I could claim some course there.

Do any of you out there have experience with Nevada's process? Are they hard and fast about all this stuff, or do they bend a little if your qualifications are obviously strong academically?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 08:30 AM

4 posts, read 7,078 times
Hi,
I am a teacher in Las Vegas. From my experiences and others, Nevada is VERY strict when it comes to required classes. The Department of Ed. does not even considered GPA, only the completed classes. Good luck!

Old 07-26-2009, 09:23 AM

89 posts, read 147,750 times
I completed my application for the 9-12 English and Social Studies comprehensive certifications. I did claim courses in every sub-area; a couple were slight stretches. If they ding me on anything, I'll take an online course to make up the deficiency.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:54 PM

151 posts, read 491,882 times
From my understanding you need to be considered "HQ" (highly qualified) in any subject specific area you would teach. In addition to coursework, you also need teaching experience in that area to become HQ. Otherwise, from my understanding, you will need to take tests in order to obtain complete certification. I would talk to a Human Resource technician in the county in which you woud like to teach. They seem to know more than the folks in Carson do! Good luck!

Old 08-09-2009, 01:21 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,359,327 times
Good luck!! Nevada Dept of Education are the suckiest bureaucrats on the planet!

Old 09-15-2009, 01:15 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,374,889 times
Find a job where the bureacracy follows a business model, that would not be teaching.

Teaching children is a great thing, but, as a teacher your primary focus trying to figure out how to actually teach children suffering under the onus of NCLB.

You will find that intelligent creative people are bailing out of teaching as fast as they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada