U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 11:58 AM

182 posts, read 414,502 times
We grow a garden here.. we have had luck with tomatoes, zucinni and squash. We tried corn but the bugs got to it so next time we have to spray better. Hottest it gets out here in the 100s. I think the hottest I saw it this year was 110. In the winter we get cold enough for snow.. we already had a bit out here about a week ago.

Water seems ok to me.. I drink it and I am still here and healthy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,673 times
Default Helpful...thanks!!

Hey I think this has been very helpful!!! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisL View Post
Unless you love an extreme climate -- cold in the winter, hot in the summer, and *extremely windy* 80% of the time, averaged out over a whole year, *don't move here.* You will be sadly disappointed.

I am going on four years here. I have hated every minute of it, mostly due to the extreme climate -- cold or hot, and very windy, with *flying dust everywhere* almost all of the time.

Pahrump gets about eight weeks of nice weather out of the whole year -- four weeks or so in the spring, and four weeks or so in the autumn. The other 44 weeks or so out of the year are awful. Windy. Repeat after me, *windy*. Don't move here unless you *love* high wind and flying dust.

I am applying for jobs all over the country, except for southern Nevada, because I *can't wait to leave this Hell on Earth that is Pahrump.*

And don't post replies chastising me as being a miserable, unhappy human being or something else along those lines. Quite the contrary, I'm a happy-go-lucky guy. I'm just saying that I should have completed much more due diligence on Pahrump than I did before moving here. Before you move here, I implore you to perform complete due diligence on Pahrump's climate, job market, housing market, public schools, etc. -- whatever facets of life are important to you. You'll be thankful that you did.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:24 PM

12,243 posts, read 16,330,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Expect 20 pound tomatos. The radiation helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
really?
Yes...and that's just the one's Pahrump women are know to give birth to!

Old 01-15-2010, 02:11 PM

329 posts, read 681,783 times
I realize this is an old post....but I cannot resist! Wish I had seen it prior to moving to Nevada! But mine was out of necessity.

I am so sorry you're miserable Dennis...so is my family after moving here. I tried to get honest answers from folks via this site, but I got someone really rude saying that my husband should check out all this stuff prior to moving us here! No one really helped...which was a bummer.

My husband has his dream job...yep, here in crappy, ol' Pahrump Nevada! He's a rangemaster at Frontsight Firearms Training Institute. He gets paid to shoot guns all day long...he's like a kid in a candy store. That being said, he's not real fond of Pahrump either.

I'm a nurse, so I had no problems finding employment (in Vegas).

But you're right, extreme heat in the summer was my "Welcome to Nevada"...but the winter has been okay (I was born off the shores of Lake Superior and have lived most of my life in WYoming, so I know what EXTREME winter weather is...this is not it). The wind reminds us both of WYoming (we actually have a picture of the AutoZone sign that just blew over the other day in Casper, WY...ONTO A CAR!!!)

I think the biggest thing we've noticed is that there doesn't seem to be a sense of "community" here. Pahrump is unincorporated (which isn't the problem)...but the people just don't seem to care about anyone else but themselves here. I find it very sad. It has potential. THough my five-year-old doesn't like the stripper place that we drive by every time we go into town (she says little kids shouldn't be subjected to having to see the naked women posted on the outside of the building!! and I never told her that!!)

We realize that this area (Las Vegas/Pahrump) is founded on making money from addictions...sex, gambling, smoking, drinking...which we both say GO FOR IT! If someone wants to waste away their paychecks on those things, that's their right. We just find it sad that "community" doesn't seem to be in the vernacular of Pahrumpians.

It would have also been nice to know that the electric bill averages about $300/month (we've been here almost a year and that's what the "average" is). The well water we're on is just fine....though I've noticed it's never truly cold in the summer as apparently they only dig about a foot into the ground to bury the pipes. We've also noticed that *most* of the town doesn't seem to care what their property looks like (junk, broken down cars, trash, etc).

Either way, Dennis...I hope you've found your way out and are much happier now!

Old 01-15-2010, 07:07 PM

Wow, I am a member out there, perhaps I will see him in one of my classes. I never knew that they pay the rangemasters.. but cool.. would be my dream job as well.

You have to understand Pahrump. Its very much about enjoying your life and not getting into others business. Very independent. People don't just jump out at you and want to be your friend here.. they assume that you, like most here, like to be left alone. Its a very libertarian mindset.

Now, that said, we have made some very good friends out here.. and we even have it worse.. we work out of our house.. so other than walmart or the bank... we NEVER see anyone..

You just have to be a bit more outgoing.. once someone gets to know you people will open up more.

As for property looks, lots depend on where you live. I am in the center of town.. and its VERY well kept and nice here.. no trash or broken cars.. and no HOAs either. Many move out here just for that reason. I would rather have a junk yard next to me, than "Sally McNosy" outside telling me my garbage can was out too early or my grass was 1/9th inch too high.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:24 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,305,000 times
Quote:
I tried to get honest answers from folks via this site, but I got someone really rude saying that my husband should check out all this stuff prior to moving us here! No one really helped...which was a bummer.
Rude? Sounds like the person offered great advice.

Quote:
I think the biggest thing we've noticed is that there doesn't seem to be a sense of "community" here. Pahrump is unincorporated (which isn't the problem)...but the people just don't seem to care about anyone else but themselves here. I find it very sad. It has potential. THough my five-year-old doesn't like the stripper place that we drive by every time we go into town (she says little kids shouldn't be subjected to having to see the naked women posted on the outside of the building!! and I never told her that!!)
She is right, naked people are so disgusting, we should all avert our eyes, I have never figured out why god makes us get born Naked. I think a child by the time they are 18 have seen thousands of humans shot, blown up, thrown out of windows, stabbed, runover on the TeeVee, but no naked humans, good thing we have our priorities straight.

Quote:
We just find it sad that "community" doesn't seem to be in the vernacular of Pahrumpians.
Communities are for sheep. Nevada is a great state for coyotes.

Quote:
It would have also been nice to know that the electric bill averages about $300/month (we've been here almost a year and that's what the "average" is). The well water we're on is just fine....though I've noticed it's never truly cold in the summer as apparently they only dig about a foot into the ground to bury the pipes.
Stop running your ac, build a ramada over your house, give it a one foot clearance between your roof and your ramada roof.

Running a well can easily be $100.00 a month, convert to a 12vdc solar trickle pump. 5 gpm, x 60m x 10 hours of sunlight per day would give you far more water than you could use.

Don't fight the desert, it will win. Adapt.

Quote:
We've also noticed that *most* of the town doesn't seem to care what their property looks like (junk, broken down cars, trash, etc).
People live in Nevada because they don't want busybodies telling them how to run their lives, why would you care what someone else's property looks like, take care of your life, let them take care of their lives.

The accumulated wisdom of spending 6 decades on this planet tells me that if someone is unhappy with where they live, moving isn't going to change it. Unhappy is internal, not external.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:00 PM

53 posts, read 173,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
Rude? Sounds like the person offered great advice.

She is right, naked people are so disgusting, we should all avert our eyes, I have never figured out why god makes us get born Naked. I think a child by the time they are 18 have seen thousands of humans shot, blown up, thrown out of windows, stabbed, runover on the TeeVee, but no naked humans, good thing we have our priorities straight.

Stop running your ac, build a ramada over your house, give it a one foot clearance between your roof and your ramada roof.

Running a well can easily be $100.00 a month, convert to a 12vdc solar trickle pump. 5 gpm, x 60m x 10 hours of sunlight per day would give you far more water than you could use.

Don't fight the desert, it will win. Adapt.

People live in Nevada because they don't want busybodies telling them how to run their lives, why would you care what someone else's property looks like, take care of your life, let them take care of their lives.

The accumulated wisdom of spending 6 decades on this planet tells me that if someone is unhappy with where they live, moving isn't going to change it. Unhappy is internal, not external.
great post!

Old 01-17-2010, 08:13 PM

1,530 posts, read 2,302,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekape View Post
I realize this is an old post....but I cannot resist! Wish I had seen it prior to moving to Nevada! But mine was out of necessity.

I am so sorry you're miserable Dennis...so is my family after moving here. I tried to get honest answers from folks via this site, but I got someone really rude saying that my husband should check out all this stuff prior to moving us here! No one really helped...which was a bummer.

My husband has his dream job...yep, here in crappy, ol' Pahrump Nevada! He's a rangemaster at Frontsight Firearms Training Institute. He gets paid to shoot guns all day long...he's like a kid in a candy store. That being said, he's not real fond of Pahrump either.

I'm a nurse, so I had no problems finding employment (in Vegas).

But you're right, extreme heat in the summer was my "Welcome to Nevada"...but the winter has been okay (I was born off the shores of Lake Superior and have lived most of my life in WYoming, so I know what EXTREME winter weather is...this is not it). The wind reminds us both of WYoming (we actually have a picture of the AutoZone sign that just blew over the other day in Casper, WY...ONTO A CAR!!!)

We realize that this area (Las Vegas/Pahrump) is founded on making money from addictions...sex, gambling, smoking, drinking...which we both say GO FOR IT! If someone wants to waste away their paychecks on those things, that's their right. We just find it sad that "community" doesn't seem to be in the vernacular of Pahrumpians.

It would have also been nice to know that the electric bill averages about $300/month (we've been here almost a year and that's what the "average" is). The well water we're on is just fine....though I've noticed it's never truly cold in the summer as apparently they only dig about a foot into the ground to bury the pipes. We've also noticed that *most* of the town doesn't seem to care what their property looks like (junk, broken down cars, trash, etc).

Either way, Dennis...I hope you've found your way out and are much happier now!

how hot does it get in the summer? and what is the temp in the evening july-sept?

Old 02-12-2010, 09:59 PM

100 posts, read 146,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post

Hehehehe - love it

Old 02-13-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks
That has to be the best quote I have seen that sums it all up 100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada