Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2007, 02:49 AM

1 posts, read 5,215 times

Advertisements

I'm in my 20's and I rushed pretty much did something stupid and moved in my boyfriend into some apartments. I of course broke up with him because he is a compulsive liar and cheater. Everyone told me to just take off and leave hims since he alone can afford the rent since he makes 2 1/2 times the rent, which is a total requirement here, and I sure don't make that. But no, I decided to stay and continue to share our one bedroon until we were to figure something out. So the inconsiderate guy decided to tell me he's moving to vegas regardless in s few weeks. The apts claim that there is no way to break our 8 mo lease without it being an eviction along with a menalty fee that they figure out by adding 85% of each of the remaining months together. This comes out to over 2,000. Is that even legal? That formula isn't even mentioned in the lease. Our other way out is to have one of us stay and move up to a 2 bedroom with another roommate. This doesn't sound good to either of us. He started this drama by cheating and I don't want to find a strange roommate to live with just to not have an eviction under my belt. He's already moving his things out and assuming I'll find a roommate and get his name off the lease. So he said he would pay his half of next month's rent, and during that month I would find a roommate. He's lying though cause he's cheap, so no one will be seeing his money. I don't want to do him any favors and have a best friend i would like to live with somewhere she's not scared of living. Does any1 have any ideas how I can get out of this lease? We've only been here 2 months. If we just turn in our keys before the 1st of May, will that prevent anything?? I even these aps a responsible tenant for another apt and they're not cutting me any slack. How badly does an eviction ruin your life?? Please fill me in if you could. If I can show that my roommate can't pay his half, will they let me off the hook? I'm looking for anything here. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 06:48 AM

124 posts, read 666,274 times
I am assuming your name is on the lease. If it isn't, you have no responsibility. If it is, sit down again with the apartment people. Don't get angry with them -- you are asking them for a favor so be as nice as possible. Explain to them that you understand their rules, but you really can't afford the apartment on your own. Say to them, "I know you must have had this situation come up before...please help me." If they say no, don't get angry. Ask if there is someone higher up you can speak to. Always remember that they haven't done anything wrong -- they are just expecting you to honor a legal commitment. Keep saying, "please help me" -- this may appeal to their humanism. If you have a legal commitment and just walk out without resolution, they may be able to garnishee your wages in the future. Your credit may be affected. Don't just walk out -- work for a resolution. If you end up owing them $2000, it is not the end of the world. Ask them if you can pay $50/month -- it will take awhile to pay it off but they may be happy to get that. Good luck. (and don't ever again sign your name to a legal contract you aren't prepared to honor)

Old 04-23-2007, 09:23 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,581,794 times
First off, nothing you do in your 20's short of a capital crime will "ruin your life". Second, I really doubt they will garnish your wages for a sum as small as 2k. They would probably file with a collection agency. Plus, it will make it hard for you to find another place to rent if you have to sign a lease.

Now, can you get out of paying anything? Probably not. If you are an upstanding person, and want to be able to buy anything on credit in the next few years, you will need to come to some compromise with these people. You might want to try a couple of things.

First would be to remind them that, by yourself, you cannnot pay the rent. Tell them that there is no way you can afford to stay there. That means that you would be constantly late on payments. This might not sound like much to you, but they probably still have a mortgage payment on the building and they depend on timely payments from their renters to make that mortgage payment.

Another thing to remember is that if they demand that you pay up the whole term of your lease, you are the one to remain in possession of that apartment. That means that they cannot move anyone into it for the duration of your lease whether you are there or not...And do they really want a person under duress in their apartment for that amount of time? I mean, things break, water gets left on accidently and floods the bathroom...Not that you would do anything like that, but they will think about it in the backs of their minds.

Best bet would be to offer them a month's rent after you move out along with forfeiting your security deposit. That will give them time to find another renter and a tidy profit. And be sure to make the apartment spotless when you leave. You are still asking them to correct a mistake you made when you moved in with your boyfriend.

John

Old 04-23-2007, 01:45 PM

222 posts, read 1,045,673 times
As a former landlord I can tell you that it's not worth the time and effort to chase down someone that has skipped out on the lease. I have had it done to me several times and it was far eaiser to clean the place up and get it rented again than to chase someone with no money to pay anyway. I allowed all my lease breakers, except for the first one, a break and just rented the place again.

There is so much paperwork and court procedures to chase a lease breaker and have it put on their records that its not worth the effort. I did that to my first lease breaker because they really tore the place up bad and I wanted to make sure they didn't get away with it. I had to spend a lot of my personal time off to go to court to get the judgement and file the judgement with the county. I never got a dime out of them, just the satisfaction that knowing I caused them some problems a few years later when they tried to purchase a home. I got a call from the mortgage company they were applying through and I told them all about the bounced checks to having the Constable come out and remove them.

They may threaten to sue and garnish wages and all that nasty stuff, but most of that is just blowing wind to scare you into not breaking the lease. I'd be willing to bet that if you just left the keys on the counter and walked away, there is a very slim chance they will even bother with finding you.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:17 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Move...turn in your keys. Then dicker. Your BF has the income...let him figure it out.

The hard part is that it will likely hit your credit report if not amicably settled and you may find it very hard to rent elsewhere.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:45 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,433,628 times
in the future never rent a place unless you "can afford it on your own!"roommates,husbands,wives,boyfriends skip out all the time.if one responsible person is on the lease they get stuck with the whole bill.if you move out they may come after you or may not,a lot of times its not worth the hassle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada