U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-15-2010, 10:43 PM

37 posts, read 76,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post

funny thing about that "government take over of healthcare" I could add two things, one, I already have government healthcare, and so do 5 million other Veterans, and, where is that take over, I seem to have missed it.
It's coming wait till the time you really need it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 10:49 PM

37 posts, read 76,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyG View Post
The bad part about people "moving here in droves" is that they're renting from those scumbags in neighborhoods who just wanted to make a quick buck flipping a house. Our newest tenants retaliated against my HOA two nights ago for having their vehicle towed (illegally parked) by painting a HUGE portion of our external wall with some nice graffiti. I'm fairly certain it's the two new families since up until now, all we've seen is markers on the electrical boxes that get painted over quickly. Friday night, they're out there picking fights with other wannabe gangsters and Saturday night we get the murals.
My house will NEVER see it's December 2008 value with these people hanging around. How do you legally run someone out of town?

I will tell it like it is... Back in the 90's in south central the old parents who bought low an worked for 30 years died. Then the kids who could not or did not want to work sold there parents house in south central for a profit an paid cash an partied like it was 1999 in Vegas.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:58 AM

514 posts, read 114,658 times
Quote:
funny thing about that "government take over of healthcare" I could add two things, one, I already have government healthcare, and so do 5 million other Veterans, and, where is that take over, I seem to have missed it. It's coming wait till the time you really need it.
I have used my government healthcare for many decades, works great, I am still alive.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:57 PM

357 posts, read 395,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
The US Forest Service got $128 million to repair and restore our nations legacy of hiking trails and campgrounds, that is more money than any President has given since Franklin Roosevelt, that is hope and change all Americans can be pleased with.

That is just one small item.

If you go abroad, you are looked at with new respect instead of being despised for being an American, that too, is hope and change Americans can be proud of.

Of course, the haters will continue to hate, can't stop that. But Satan has his welcome mat out for haters.
That might sound good at a first glance, but you really don't question the timing?

I don't travel much, but work with plenty who do. My understanding is that foreigners are more eager to converse if you say you're from California instead of America (even if you're not from CA). Don't get too excited, that's just what I've been told.

You might keep those "Satan welcome mat" comments to yourself in the future, it's a red flag and decreases the validity of your opinion. And don't think I'm just another Obama hater, I hate all politicians. He didn't do squat in office when he received his bs award, his Marketing/PR adviser should have been the recipient.

Don't buy into the hype of one party or person versus another, that's not the issue. The real issue is how fkt will we be when they're gone, just try to minimize the damage with your vote.

I agree with your fiscal comments, but would like to add that I think growth is the real enemy. We're so programmed to be scared when we don't grow, it's a dangerous way of thinking in my opinion, there's something to be said for stagnancy.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
You might keep those "Satan welcome mat" comments to yourself in the future, it's a red flag and decreases the validity of your opinion. And don't think I'm just another Obama hater, I hate all politicians. He didn't do squat in office when he received his bs award, his Marketing/PR adviser should have been the recipient.
hate and fear are the same emotion, people hate what they fear, that is where racism, anti muslim stuff, etc come from.

One party, consists of those who think in a hierarchy, they like leaders, the other party consists of those who think globally, they have no need for strong leaders, one party fears, the other party is open to new ideas and ways of thinking.

The difference between members of one party and another are based on their psychological make up, there is a distinct difference.

Quote:
That might sound good at a first glance, but you really don't question the timing?
I travel, I don't have to question the timing. The prior President was despised by everyone living in a foreign country that I talked with, particularly the Turks, who blame him for creating enormous insecurities on their borders.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:53 PM

Apologies to the OP for going so far off topic, just holler if you want us to go away.

Fear and hate are definitely not the same emotion, though there may be some interweaving between the two under certain circumstances. Also, my mistake for using that word, I didn't mean it literally, I should have said 'dislike'.

When I mentioned the timing, I didn't mean that in a conspiracy theory sort of way, I meant it in a 'hey, our economy sucks right now, maybe we should chill on the spending' kind of way. Bush was terrible with money and so was Reagan, unfortunately I'm at a period in my life where I'm more concerned about the subject than I have ever been, I should have been bitching for the last 40 years.

Just for fun, have a look at this little chart -> http://cedarcomm.com/~stevelm1/USDebt.png

Old 08-17-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Fear and hate are definitely not the same emotion
Yes, they are,

Racism is a great illustration, hating the other, because you fear the other, look at how black Americans have been portrayed throughout our history, fears the KKK and others turn to hate.

Certain Americans fear a black President, look at the hate reflected in many of the statements and posters of the Tea Baggers.

Certain Americans fear an influx of "illegal" brown people, and again, look at how the illegals are demonized by the demagogues, "criminals" "druggies" etc.

Certain Americans fear change, therefore they hate the agents of change, again, look at what the demagogues say about liberals.

I could type all day and not exhaust the examples, but, suffice to say, certain political leaders tell their followers to fear certain groups, that fear is expressed as hate.

Take a look at the controversy over the Cordoba House, (not a mosque, but a community center) a billion and a half Muslims are painted as the enemy, fear and hate, two sides of the same coin.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:58 PM

They really are not, but like I mentioned, there are times where there are intertwined. The racism is a great example of where they can be connected. Even then, there can be other reasons for racism, simply recognizing certain statistics can make a 'racist' out of someone, though there may be zero hate behind it. If someone scammed your grandma out of her life savings, you would probably hate them, but certainly wouldn't be scared of them.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:05 PM

Life is not long enough to hate anyone in my opinion, hate is pretty much the province of a particular sector of the political spectrum.

Quote:
Even then, there can be other reasons for racism, simply recognizing certain statistics can make a 'racist' out of someone
No, racism is a state of mind, it is not a recognisation of certain statistics, unless that action is part of denigrating a certain class or ethnic group.

I could say for instance, that according to statistics most crimes are committed by X group, therefore X group are criminals and no good people. That would be racist.

It would not be racist for me to say that according to statistics most crimes are committed by X group.

I found it humorous the other day, I went to a local travel agent to inquire about a trip. I got to talking with the agent who is Italian, she went off on the "Roma" all the bad things the "roma" do, how they are ruining Italy.

Never mind that not one in a hundred Americans know who the Roma are, and that prejudice against the Roma seems to Americans very strange, once one figures out who they are, unless, you are one in a hundred.

I lived in Italy, the Roma were there, as they have been for hundreds of years, and they have suffered racism, pretty much the whole time.

Yet to most from America, her vented hatred of them would make no sense.

It is helpful to know that in Italy the Roma are used like the boogeyman in America. "If you are not good, the Roma will come in at night and steal you".

This woman's hate, was very much created by the fear her mother put into her, and her mother put into her, and on and on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada