Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2009, 04:59 PM

7 posts, read 21,145 times

Advertisements

Hi...... Have been browsing this site anonymously for a short time, now that I am serious about relocating, among other places, I am giving a good look at Nevada.....

A little background. I am working class and grew up in a rural area, as can be seen by my profile, but that doesn't mean I'm a bumpkin. I have a prehistoric background in computers, which is to say I hail from the days of MS-DOS, and have simply been a power user since then. I had 2 years of community college in Virginia, including business courses. I also am a singer/songwriter, and very rebellious. My music can be viewed on MySpace by searching for "Allergic To Air". I run my own small business as a taxi owner/operator, and am hoping to either relocate my business, or perhaps go into food delivery, as I did several years ago.

I've had opportunities to leave and change my life, but I'm still here, and well, I need a change. To put it bluntly, Charlottesville is a large college town, hence it is filling up with rich, holier-than-thou idiots that are pushing the working class out, and I don't want to spend another 33 years here.

My plans for relocating involve a motorhome, so that I can better enjoy the move. I bought one, but it looks to need more work than it is really worth, so I plan to strip it for parts to convert a school bus (otherwise known as a "skoolie"). Due to the economy and the uncertainty of steady work, whether motorhome or "skoolie", I think it will be part of my long-term (if not permanent) housing plan. So in addition to local color, I am looking for info on long-term RV parks, particularly ones that allow bus conversions.

I also understand that emisssions are a big deal in Nevada. If my motorhome/bus passes emissions in Virginia, does that mean it is okay for Nevada, or does it have to re-tested there? Are vehicles over a certain GVWR exempt?

Preliminary research indicates that I will probably not be happy in southern Nevada, such as Vegas, though I hear the taxi business is quite good there. I can't stand scorpions, and I hear the deadly bark scorpion is quite a pesky little critter there, but avoids cooler climates like Reno and Sparks. So I am obviously considering those areas, but I am curious about other areas that might have a similar climate to Virginia, without the rich-b*tch attitude people have here.

Thanks in advance for any help or info.

Last edited by Anomaly_1976; 11-12-2009 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: Revision / More Info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 08:57 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,519,970 times
Good questions. regarding emissions, I think that only Washoe and Clark Counties have smog checks.
Regarding climate like Virginia, Nevada is unlike Virginia, the whole place is a desert, It is the driest state in the nation. It has no rivers the size of the Rappahannock. The larger rivers,(which in Virginia would be called creeks) The Truckee, the Carson, the Walker and the Humboldt end in the desert, they do not reach the ocean.

The Climate is harsh, harsh heat and harsh cold. But, it is dry harsh your skin will wrinkle and your nose will bleed.

The climate is best at elevations above 7,000 feet, and there is a lot of land that high.

Scorpions exist, but they are not a problem, I have been stung by them a few times, you cry and scream and swear for a while, then tell your friends a funny story about the experience. They do not hurt as much as whatever stung me on the toe in the grass in front of the Virginia State Capitol building.... Now, that hurt.

The old part of the campus of the University of Nevada, Reno is a copy of U of VA, Jefferson's design.

There is a Virginia City, named after "Old Virginny" a prospector from your neck of the woods.

Elko is likely the best town in the state. Lots of great mountains right out the door. North east Nevada is the greenest part of the state, which isn't saying much.
A couple of photos of the Elko area.
http://i.pbase.com/g6/97/752097/2/77110153.Hp0OZnoV.jpg

If you just said, "Holy cow, that is in Nevada?!! You aren't the first, and yes, it beats the heck out of Vegas or Reno

Basques are big in Elko; http://www.photographybyjaniece.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/IMG_6349web.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by scirocco22; 11-12-2009 at 10:26 PM.. Reason: copyright issues

Old 11-16-2009, 09:14 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomaly_1976 View Post
Hi...... Have been browsing this site anonymously for a short time, now that I am serious about relocating, among other places, I am giving a good look at Nevada.

I am curious about other areas that might have a similar climate to Virginia, without the rich-b*tch attitude people have here.
Did you consider the any of the states surrounding Virginia???

Look up the statistics on the Mojave Desert...that is where Vegas is located and it is surrounded by desert for hundreds of miles in every direction. Yes, the higher elevations offer more comfortable temps BUT it is still the desert. Reno and Carson City would be better choices but it still isn't going to give you any sort of climate like Virginia. Since you are going to live in your bus Northern CA might be a cool area for you to check into...lots of working class people in many of those towns who would probably embrace you with open arms.

Sounds like a fun adventure

Old 11-17-2009, 12:18 AM

7 posts, read 21,145 times
I guess I'm not just looking for a change of scenery. Maybe a change of heart too. Most of the states surrounding Virginia are just as bad, if not worse, from what I've seen. NoCal sounds interesting, though I don't know whether emissions would be an issue.....

Old 11-17-2009, 10:18 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times
Check out whatever county you are interested in DMV website...it will tell you right there if you need emissions or not on that size vehicle. I am pretty sure you will need to know the gross curb weight of the vehicle to find out...should be on a sticker somewhere on the vehicle.

Northern Cali is very beautiful...and nothing like Virginia culture wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada