Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 01:46 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,410,363 times

Advertisements

Fresh Start, we are moving to just below Imlay at the 3900 elavation. We won't have natural gas but questioning your $200.00 a month is that only in the months that it's really cold or is that an average level pay. For here in Alaska I pay $121.00 per month but that is an average for a 12 month usage. I'm thinking that if that is only for the severe cold months as I would think you shut your furnace down in the summer time as I do here.

I did find that food prices were about the same down there for the exception of the sales tax that we don't have up here. Your produce you say doesn't have much of a selection but of the selection is it fresh, I ask these question cuz I'm told I will be doing most of my shopping in Winnemuca, not sure if Fallon would have a better selection or not. I'm not oposed to driving mile for the added selection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 07:52 PM

54 posts, read 140,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
Fresh Start, we are moving to just below Imlay at the 3900 elavation. We won't have natural gas but questioning your $200.00 a month is that only in the months that it's really cold or is that an average level pay. For here in Alaska I pay $121.00 per month but that is an average for a 12 month usage. I'm thinking that if that is only for the severe cold months as I would think you shut your furnace down in the summer time as I do here.

I did find that food prices were about the same down there for the exception of the sales tax that we don't have up here. Your produce you say doesn't have much of a selection but of the selection is it fresh, I ask these question cuz I'm told I will be doing most of my shopping in Winnemuca, not sure if Fallon would have a better selection or not. I'm not oposed to driving mile for the added selection.
Our winter here is usually long so about 7 months out of the year it is pretty cold today in fact I had to turn on the furnace this morning to take the chill off. So the 200.00 is per month for at least 6 months. I don't use the furnace during the summer of course but then I run the AC and its about the same monthly so its all about the same.
Winnemucca is getting better with there produce but it doesn't even compare to CA. I have bought strawberries and got them home to find them moldy. YUK I can't say about Fallon although I personally like Fallon more than Winnemucca.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:43 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,439,108 times
Because Nevada does not grow produce, it comes from CA. Since it has to be shipped it is commonly picked early. It is a drawback to Nevada that the produce is not as good as CA, but I imagine the same problem holds for most of the US.

Fallon won't have better produce, but it does have a Raley's, don't know if Winnemucca does. Raley's is a well run operation and tends to have better quality than some of the other stores. My suggestion, build a greenhouse, great hobby.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:43 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
I live in Reno & I never ran into any 'swingers', my car insurance rates dropped about 15% when I moved here (from Northern California), and I visit my son in the bay area regularly and I don't find groceries more expensive here than they are where he lives.

There are alot more shopping centers in Reno/Sparks than there were a few years ago, now if only they would build an Ikea here /sigh

Driving is quite enjoyable, not insane like it is on Califronia freeways.

Utilities in the winter are higher than Northern California- but it snows here so that is to be expected.

People are generally friendly and helpful.

out of a 10 I would give Reno an 8

Old 06-02-2007, 11:01 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,682,999 times
yeh, Las Vegas needs an Ikea too...I'm surprised they haven't even built one yet...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada