Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2010, 08:19 PM

89 posts, read 225,676 times

Advertisements

I would like to know what the electrical rates per kilowatts is and also is it a Peoples Utility district .

Another thing is how is the reception for cell phones in this area ,good ,,bad or real bad ?

thanks if you have this info.. This is GP from the Oregon Trial
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 08:31 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,037,272 times
Overton Power . . rates

Old 01-08-2010, 05:37 PM

I have many questions and some may sound elementary ,,so forgive me and here goes..

1-How many days on average do you have to stay indoors due to the heat

2-Is natural gas used for cooking or heat or is all electricity

3-what is the heating and Air condition that most homes use ,,for example I have a heat pump

4-I live in the country here in Oregon and have only county taxes to pay ,,how much a month can I expect to pay for city taxes in Mesquite

5-If I were to buy a home that the rear of it borders state land would I be able to drive my UTV on this land

6-How much does it cost to register a vehicle in this area and also license it a year ..I own a 2007 Chevy Silverado 4/4 Extened cab for example

7-What areas should one stay away from buying a home as to the flooding sometimes of the Virgin river

8-What can I expect to have to drive to a larger city to buy that one cannot get in Mesquite ,,for example washing machines , furniture , auto parts , home remodel supplies

9-Just a guess I realize ,,but could the taxes on the homes in Mesquite go upwards quite a bit when and if this recession gets over. In other words is the home values which controls the amount of taxes going to double if this recession gets over and give people a false expectation of the taxes on a home if you buy it today.

10-Do you see a problem with water getting shut off to homes with lawns and has this been a on going problem for some time now,if in fact some homes have lawns

If some of you who live in Mesquite can answer some of these or all of them we would appreciate it and thank you ,,and after that we will most likely have more..
Lawrence and Di from Oregon

Old 01-10-2010, 08:54 PM

I ask these questions because I ran a search and didtn't find all the answers and also some answers are outdated and 3 or 4 years old and do not apply any longer ..

Are all or most of the houses built on cement slabs or do some have basements?

Does Mesquite have a sewage treatment plant for all homes or does some have septic and drain fields?

Are there any homes for sale in Mesquite or just outside of the city limits that has 1/4 or 1/2 acre of land that is part of the same property ?

thanks for some info Lawrence and Di from Oregon

Old 01-14-2010, 02:02 PM

414 posts, read 972,022 times
1-How many days on average do you have to stay indoors due to the heat... TEMPS RUN OVER 100 QUITE OFTEN IN THE SUMMER. Sometimes up to 110. Unless you really like the heat, you stay inside.

2-Is natural gas used for cooking or heat or is all electricity. NATURAL GAS? That requires piped in gas. You might check on that...LOL

3-what is the heating and Air condition that most homes use ,,for example I have a heat pump. All air conditioners are heat pumps. Using them in reverse to heat a home saves on having to put in a furnace. Check on the natural gas situation.

4-I live in the country here in Oregon and have only county taxes to pay ,,how much a month can I expect to pay for city taxes in Mesquite? It is quite low right now but give it time and it will start to climb. It is in Clark County, same as Las Vegas so there is lots of room for it to climb.

5-If I were to buy a home that the rear of it borders state land would I be able to drive my UTV on this land. Yes. But good luck with that. The city is growing so fast you may have state land one day and another home behind you the next.

6-How much does it cost to register a vehicle in this area and also license it a year ..I own a 2007 Chevy Silverado 4/4 Extened cab for example. State DMV rates are pretty high. Figure $500.

7-What areas should one stay away from buying a home as to the flooding sometimes of the Virgin river
No where near the Virgin River. You have to watch out for flash flood coming down the ravines.

8-What can I expect to have to drive to a larger city to buy that one cannot get in Mesquite ,,for example washing machines , furniture , auto parts , home remodel supplies. Nothing. You can get pretty much what you want in Mesquite, you just pay a lot more for it.

9-Just a guess I realize ,,but could the taxes on the homes in Mesquite go upwards quite a bit when and if this recession gets over. In other words is the home values which controls the amount of taxes going to double if this recession gets over and give people a false expectation of the taxes on a home if you buy it today. There is a fixed 3% increase allowed each year. So it will not go zooming up, unless they revoke the 3% cap.

10-Do you see a problem with water getting shut off to homes with lawns and has this been a on going problem for some time now,if in fact some homes have lawns. Only a moron would try to keep a lawn green in that kind of climate. Go with desert landscaping.

If some of you who live in Mesquite can answer some of these or all of them we would appreciate it and thank you ,,and after that we will most likely have more..

Old 01-14-2010, 06:35 PM

thanks David

Beings it will be a couple years before the wife and I decide just where we will relocate to ,,a lot of things will change ,,I realize this ,,but I like knowing a little history about a place to help with the choice we will make . Lawrence and Di

Old 01-20-2010, 09:02 PM

404 posts, read 1,195,256 times
I added my replies to David's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212david51 View Post
1-How many days on average do you have to stay indoors due to the heat... TEMPS RUN OVER 100 QUITE OFTEN IN THE SUMMER. Sometimes up to 110. Unless you really like the heat, you stay inside. Or, you can complete outdoor activities early in the morning. We moved here from MA and it really is a DRY heat---- In August when it was 114 here felt like 95 to us ;-) The wind helps, too.

2-Is natural gas used for cooking or heat or is all electricity. NATURAL GAS? That requires piped in gas. You might check on that...LOL No natural gas here. (yet)

3-what is the heating and Air condition that most homes use ,,for example I have a heat pump. All air conditioners are heat pumps. Using them in reverse to heat a home saves on having to put in a furnace. Check on the natural gas situation. Our development all uses heat pumps.

4-I live in the country here in Oregon and have only county taxes to pay ,,how much a month can I expect to pay for city taxes in Mesquite? It is quite low right now but give it time and it will start to climb. It is in Clark County, same as Las Vegas so there is lots of room for it to climb.

5-If I were to buy a home that the rear of it borders state land would I be able to drive my UTV on this land. Yes. But good luck with that. The city is growing so fast you may have state land one day and another home behind you the next.

6-How much does it cost to register a vehicle in this area and also license it a year ..I own a 2007 Chevy Silverado 4/4 Extened cab for example. State DMV rates are pretty high. Figure $500. I agree with the high costs. If you go to the NEvada DMV website, there is a registration estimator calculator. Wish we had checked that before we registered our cars--- might have helped with the sticker shock.

No where near the Virgin River. You have to watch out for flash flood coming down the ravines. Lots of high area developments North of I-15.

8-What can I expect to have to drive to a larger city to buy that one cannot get in Mesquite ,,for example washing machines , furniture , auto parts , home remodel supplies. Nothing. You can get pretty much what you want in Mesquite, you just pay a lot more for it. I wouldn't say a lot more. Shopping includes: Super Walmart, Ace Hardware, Do It Best Lumber, Bealls. Boulevard Furniture, Mesquite Furnture, Smith's Grocery store, Walgreens, Auto Zone. Also, if you want more shopping, St George, UT is about 40 miles (35 min) away via the Virgin Valley Gorge--absolutely breathtaking.

9-Just a guess I realize ,,but could the taxes on the homes in Mesquite go upwards quite a bit when and if this recession gets over. In other words is the home values which controls the amount of taxes going to double if this recession gets over and give people a false expectation of the taxes on a home if you buy it today. There is a fixed 3% increase allowed each year. So it will not go zooming up, unless they revoke the 3% cap.

10-Do you see a problem with water getting shut off to homes with lawns and has this been a on going problem for some time now,if in fact some homes have lawns. Only a moron would try to keep a lawn green in that kind of climate. Go with desert landscaping. We left an absolutely gorgeous lawn in New England and have a total xeriscape yard with cactus, desert plants, rocks, a small bit of artificial grass (looks great) and a great fountain. I agree with the no real lawn comment.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:10 PM

404 posts, read 1,195,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Trail View Post
I would like to know what the electrical rates per kilowatts is and also is it a Peoples Utility district

Another thing is how is the reception for cell phones in this area ,good ,,bad or real bad ? thanks if you have this info..

This is GP from the Oregon Trial
We have Verizon and it is pretty good in most areas-- you will lose service part of the way between Mesquite and Las Vegas as well as Mesquite and St George, but in town, our coverage is good.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:51 PM

1 posts, read 6,211 times
Electric rates not bad, cell phone reception great, I have a Tracphone and it works everywhere. Small town living, people who love golf come here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada