U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 10:36 AM

19,127 posts, read 11,621,261 times

Advertisements

I just found out from a Canadian buddy of mine with the same pipes as me, that I am just legal. He got a free test from the cops in the town where he lives. Assuming the test would be similar, he was a point under at idle and right at the limit at rpm.

I didn't do this to make noise. I did it for a cooler engine, more power, and I won't argue any need for more power as I am an American male and there is no such thing as too much power.

Making any internal combustion engine breath better always adds power, and adding a little fuel to a engine that is fuel starved because the EPA bean counters have no idea the laws of phyisics and what a fuel mix is in the first place, just lets the engine run like it should.

As I said before in this case I got apx 10% more power and oddly it seemed at first a savings on fuel, with apx 10 MPG's better. Now if we could get real gasoline with out the ethenol filler, that would save me more money, and everyone else for that matter.

In this thread what makes me hot is other people, mostly lawyers and bean counters making law on something they have no idea about.

Let them ride a few years and then maybe i will listen.

Most riders these days are safety conscious, and ride better than most cagers. We fer sure are not texting or chatting up on a phone.

More Ins Co's are covering riders now as the Ins Co's are finding riders are safer than cagers on the road. The Ins Co's have learned that when we crash we get busted up, so we pay more attention to the driving parts of riding. That news came from All State while i was speaking with a sales agent at Laconia last week. Seems All State wants a little piece of Progressive's action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 06:24 AM

33,807 posts, read 29,249,845 times
Mac - Now you be sure to put little sound reducers on each and every one of them pesky mosquitoes so the condo critters don't complain about the noise.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Mac - Now you be sure to put little sound reducers on each and every one of them pesky mosquitoes so the condo critters don't complain about the noise.

My hearing is such that a skeeter just about has to be in my ear to hear em these days. So do you think the whine noise skeeters make bothers city people? I was of the mind, that only the bite bothered them. I know the getto blaster thump thump cagers I see bother me.

Bein' a hick by nature, at first I thought these were a new type of shiney wild beast, but was cautioned to not shoot them. I can't see why, since they are not rare.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:07 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,669,167 times
live free or die, literally

Old 06-23-2010, 03:13 PM

31 posts, read 46,897 times
Helmets have been prooven to save lives, maybe not all of them, but they definately help. Same as seatbelts. Yes, you should be required to wear them.

I definately support restricting the sound levels though. I wish the state would step in and find a better way of enforcing it though. I live in Portsmouth, and I work at Pease. All day at work we have planes flying over head, and they are loud. I live near the bypass and all night trucks are using their engine brakes to stop, and that is loud. But nothing, and I mean nothing compares to how loud some of these bikes are. It goes well beyond saftey when a C130 doing touch and gos, is quieter than a motorcycle. My friend with a Honda CBR motorcycle can be easily heard on the road, and he doesn't wake up a neighborhood when he drives through. I feel like it is more about getting attention and personal enjoyment than anything, which, I have no problem with, but if I were to show up at your house at 2am blasting my subwoofer outside you wouldn't be too pleased. Which, is why there are noise laws to prevent me from doing that. Why do people in cars have noise restrictions, but bikes dont? Why are people in cars required to wear seatbelts, but people on bikes aren't required to wear helmets? I want those requirements for cars because it helps, not just me but everyone, and thats why I would want it for bikes as well.

I would however, go so far as to say that if it was a night time restriction only, I would be way more supportive.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:41 PM

3,033 posts, read 5,305,388 times
"Why are people in cars required to wear seatbelts, but people on bikes aren't required to wear helmets?"

the beauty of NH is we have a CHOICE. There are situations when a seatbelt kills.... Not every accident is identical, and while I recommend wearing both seatbelts and helmets, I'm extremely happy that we are not nannied to death by big brother.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:32 PM

Buck Naked, So far as I know there is no seat belt law in NH..... These laws over infractions is just a way to get money for the town, city, county, and state coffers, which seem to be always eternally empty.

There are not all that many really loud bikes, but the sheep want zero noise from anything, that doesn't put money in the coffer.

KingP, helmets may or not save lives. In some cases they are nuthin' more than a bucket. It all depends on the stop, and if you are really serious you will wear a full face helmet all the time. I mean taking a shower, shooting sports if you do, and driving a cage. And still the day can happen when that helmet will just break your neck. You might still survive, all broken with only a head working, but you will have accomplished staying alive.

I am one of the few, who because i wore a helmet in the wrong crash did suffer a broken neck.

I own 3 helmets now, and wear one when i choose to and not when I also choose too.

If there is a law, I WILL STILL DO AS I DAMNNED WELL PLEASE. So what if I pay a few fines for infractions.

I have a WW-1 vintage canoe I made sail, with 1926 pillow ticking, and a wooden wheel to steer it from a baby buggy. Once it didn't need to be registered, and it still isn't registered and has no Coast Guard certifications, and I still sail it in the same wind I always sailed it in, but since the laws changed and made it legal for very overly fast boats on some of the lakes I used to sail on, I no longer go there to sail. Chances of my getting busted are very slim.

So far once on lk winnie i got busted rowwing a dorry. I was the only one the cops could catch. I had 2 people counting me in the boat, a 6 life jackets, lights, and even a fire extingisher. I had a noisey device too, but the cop didn't much care for my .45, but it does the legal trick so long as ya got 3 bullets.

I was smoking mad over that at the time, and I am more than certain it showed. During the stop deep v hull boats came with in illegal distances to just rubber neck, and the wakes were the worst storm conditions I have ever been in on water for it. My craft was totally unmanagable during the stop, with large waves coming from every direction, nothing like a storm. Total BS.
i almost wished I had a helmet that day too.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:24 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,119,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingP View Post
Why are people in cars required to wear seatbelts, but people on bikes aren't required to wear helmets?
the law says that if you are under ..16? you MUST wear a seatbelt, over that, it's a 'good idea' -which means it's not required, just suggested that you should. an adult is NOT required to wear a seatbelt in a car. in NH. (buckle up when you cross a border, though)

Old 06-23-2010, 08:33 PM

31 posts, read 46,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
the beauty of NH is we have a CHOICE. There are situations when a seatbelt kills.... Not every accident is identical, and while I recommend wearing both seatbelts and helmets, I'm extremely happy that we are not nannied to death by big brother.
Except the government we live under allows the states, and the towns, the right to make some of their own rules. If the people of a town feel something should be a rule, then they vote on it. As I recall the exhaust law won over 2:1 in favor when it came up. So what you are saying is you enjoy living in a state where the people have the choice, as long as they make they choices you like. North Hampton said "People SHOULD required a quieter exhaust, and 'Big Brother' NEEDS to step in an help us with that."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
KingP, helmets may or not save lives. In some cases they are nuthin' more than a bucket. It all depends on the stop, and if you are really serious you will wear a full face helmet all the time. I mean taking a shower, shooting sports if you do, and driving a cage. And still the day can happen when that helmet will just break your neck. You might still survive, all broken with only a head working, but you will have accomplished staying alive.

I am one of the few, who because i wore a helmet in the wrong crash did suffer a broken neck.

If there is a law, I WILL STILL DO AS I DAMNNED WELL PLEASE. So what if I pay a few fines for infractions.
I was once in an accident where having a seatbelt hurt far more than it would have if I had not worn one. However, I still feel strongly that it should be a law that you need to wear one. Its not about whether it is ALWAYS helpful, as good things in the wrong applications can still be bad things, the same can be said of anything. Helmets and seat belts help far more than they hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
the law says that if you are under ..16? you MUST wear a seatbelt, over that, it's a 'good idea' -which means it's not required, just suggested that you should. an adult is NOT required to wear a seatbelt in a car. in NH. (buckle up when you cross a border, though)
You got me there, I grew up in Maine and they have 'Click-it or ticket' in place, and I forgot that NH does not have that.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:35 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,198,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingP View Post
Helmets have been proven to save lives, maybe not all of them, but they definitely help. Same as seat belts. Yes, you should be required to wear them.

I definitely support restricting the sound levels though. I wish the state would step in and find a better way of enforcing it though. I live in Portsmouth, and I work at Pease. All day at work we have planes flying over head, and they are loud. I live near the bypass and all night trucks are using their engine brakes to stop, and that is loud. But nothing, and I mean nothing compares to how loud some of these bikes are. It goes well beyond saftey when a C130 doing touch and gos, is quieter than a motorcycle. My friend with a Honda CBR motorcycle can be easily heard on the road, and he doesn't wake up a neighborhood when he drives through. I feel like it is more about getting attention and personal enjoyment than anything, which, I have no problem with, but if I were to show up at your house at 2am blasting my subwoofer outside you wouldn't be too pleased. Which, is why there are noise laws to prevent me from doing that. Why do people in cars have noise restrictions, but bikes dont? Why are people in cars required to wear seatbelts, but people on bikes aren't required to wear helmets? I want those requirements for cars because it helps, not just me but everyone, and thats why I would want it for bikes as well.

I would however, go so far as to say that if it was a night time restriction only, I would be way more supportive.
Bikes do have restrictions a maximum of 106 decibels, those jet engines you claim you can hear a bike over are about 140 db, your lawn mower is probably louder then a legal motorcycle in NH. The problem is the laxness of the police to ENFORCE the laws, and do so properly.

The sound of your cute new born screaming at night and waking up the neighborhood is about 115 db, try that for a half hour or more , I'd rather listen to a pack of unmuffled bumble bee in line fours go by and I absolutely cannot STAND them!

You are right there are many arrogant show offs, no matter what we speak of, should everyone's rights suffer for a few? Shall we make a law that no child shall play within x amount of feet of the neighboring property? That their conversations be restricted to a maximum of say 65 decibels..outside?

New Hampshire's restrictions are already reasonable, they need to be enforced by trained committed officers who are interested in more then sitting somewhere under a bridge writting reports..or maybe thats the problem, we have encumbered them with so much paper work, that they no longer have much tie to practice enforcement?

Customization of vehicles has been a long established part of Americana, no matter how much one tries to tame it, make it the "norm" or the "cool" thing to do. To some people a vehicle is all that they see, a conveyance to get back and forth to some place.

To others it is a base, a platform to build upon, after market pipes are to motorcycles what your hood scoop may have been to you. There are ways for communities to work with riders for reasonable compromises between noise issues. Keep the decibels where they are..

REQUIRE that those pipes are State certified in conjunction with the annual State inspection.

REQUIRE that there is a visible sticker certifying that those pipes are legal, something attached to the pipe itself. By virtue of that law, you can be free to run any exhaust you want as long as it passes the decibel test.

REQUIRE that any rider doing wheelies or stoppies will immediately upon conviction be stripped of their license for life, first offence..it is that stupid to do. If they are caught controlling any vehicle after revocation, 5 years, 1st offence.

REQUIRE standards of behavior, establish a written guide line to things like tailgating , riding aggressively etc. Tread carefully here however and use some thought, riders may do several counter intuitive and what may seem aggressive defense maneuvers every day. What you thought was an overt attack on you may have been a life saver for them because you weren't paying attention..same thing applies in reverse by the way biker boys and girls!

REQUIRE strick enforcement of the speed limit in rural area's, relax things a little on the highway. I think NH in general does a pretty good job on that by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire