Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 11:31 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times

Advertisements

Best, biggest and longest running fairs are 3 individual traits-pick any 2 Fairs in NH are long long-running by any stretch. My favorite is Deerfield Fair, the oldest fair in the USA, which runs a mere 4 days. It's primarily an agricultural fair, and has more horse shows than any other fair except possibly Topsfield (down in Massachusetts)

Hopkinton Fair is great fun as well, but with a completely different feel. It's an 'eaters fair' LOL with every baked, fried and sugary treat you could imagine. Big HUGE donuts, baked apple crisp, maple sugar cotton candy, lots of rides and a couple of stages (the kids loved the hypotist last year) and on Saturday night, the roar and dust of the demolition derby.

I know you asked specifically about New Hampshire's fairs, but New England's biggest and longest running fair is, I believe, "The Big E" (The Eastern States Exposition). It's HUGE, and coming all the way from SoCal, something you might enjoy seeing. Actually, I don't think 1 day is enough to see EVERYTHING at that fair, but check the website: The Big E
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 11:53 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,202 times
The Deerfield fair is nice, and is the largest agricultural fair. But it is family oriented, meaning there are no games. (it's considered gambling by the Puritans). It's expensive

I love the Hopkinton Fair with the demolition derby on Friday night. The monster truck shows and the singing shows are very entertaining.

I also LOVE the games, knocking down the bowling pins, going for the baskets, shooting the clowns with water pistols, tossing rings on bottles, etc. just to win a Teddy Bear of other stuffed animals.

The Rochester Fair is loads of fun with lots of entertainment and fireworks. This year the entry fee was raised to $10. and all the rides are free.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:04 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowjit View Post
I have heard great things about the Sandwich Fair; and we are really looking forward to attending it this October. Sandwich is the next town over from Moultonborough where we now live. We moved to Moultonborough last December from Thailand!
Welcome to NH! How do you like Moultonboro so far?

Old 06-20-2010, 04:50 PM

223 posts, read 540,082 times
We catch one or two every year. Hopkington is certainty one of the biggest and most diverse.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:35 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,168,736 times
I like the Sandwich Fair. Always a beautiful time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire