U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-19-2010, 01:45 PM

1,867 posts, read 3,851,113 times
Question utilities monthly average in New Hampshire

Hi - we're considering a move to NH, but at this time, we're not sure exactly where in NH. Most likely it's going to be in the suburbs of either Manchester, Concord or possibly Conway.

Can someone or everybody reading this, please give us a breakdown of what the average monthly utility prices are?

water
power
oil
garbage

Am I missing anything? I think those are the main ones.
I think the house size we're considering will be between 1700-2000sq. feet.

thank you for your responses.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 04:31 PM

63 posts, read 95,942 times
We live about ten miles outside of manchester in an 1850 sq ft newer house.

Water: we have a well which is fairly typical outside of the cities, the monthly cost is only the electricity to run the pump but of course if the pump fails it is the responsibility of the home owner and we also replace the filter monthly

Power: about $40/month +/-, but we do not have A/C and have all low energy appliances and lighting

Oil: going to be highly dependant on your usage habits and the specific house, i find that we average less than 20 gals per month. more in the depths of winter but much less in the summer. We use cold water for laundry and dishes, the house is well insulated and we never raise the thermostat above 60F in the winter.

Garbage: highly dependant upon the town and your willingness to go to the dump. We sort our recylcing and I go to the dump every saturday. Other than $1 for the dump permit there is no direct charge - of course we do pay for it in our taxes. Other neighbors pay $10 a week to have their garbage picked up - some towns do have curbside weekly pickup but it is the exception.

Bottom line is that we can easily cover electricity, water, garbage and oil with $100 per month. Again it is a newer house we are concious about our oil and power consumption.

Additional monthly expenses include $150 per month for internet, hd cable and phone plus property taxes - when chosing a town make sure to review the local property tax rate, the rate can vary by a up to a factor of two in neighboring towns and largely corresponds with the quality of the school district, if you have school age kids it is one thing but it doenst make sense to pay for an excellent education system if youre not going to use it

Last edited by thebig0; 06-19-2010 at 04:40 PM..

Old 06-19-2010, 04:43 PM

21 posts, read 43,400 times
good info, just wondering if anyone here has an older home and is not totally energy conscious. im a cheapskate with the power bill but i do have a small child and i cant be a total miser with the heat and air cond. considering an average high of mid 80's in NH for the hottest parts of the summer im not going to totally be concerned about summer power bills. basically im a cheapskate but i dont sacrifice on the comfort things for my kids either so i have to balance between the best of both worlds so to say.

we are looking at the same size range of a home.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:44 PM

2,990 posts, read 4,853,642 times
my home was built in 2004, and I am not a big power user. My refrigerator (energy saver) is the biggest culprit - my electric bill averages $100 per month. My home is just under 2000 square feet not counting the basement.

My TV is on all day and so are the computers so that eats up a lot of power. I shut everything down at night - even unplugging so there is no sneaky electric use when I'm sleeping.

I am surprised to read of the BigO's low electric bill - when comparing to my neighbors, mine is on the low side. Neighbors have a pool so their bill runs about $150 per month in the summer.

I take the trash and recycles to the dump myself. There is a fee of $1.00 per bag and the stickers are purchased at the entrance. There is talk of raising the fee to $1.25 per bag of trash.

Oil is currently $2.49 per gallon, and one tank fill will last a year. but I heat with a wood pellet stove in winter. When I was heating totally with oil, I averaged 4 tanks per year. At 200 gallons you can do the math - I switched to wood pellets when oil was $4 a gallon. I took the tax advantage of installing the wood pellet stove. The only problem is it runs on electricity. So during the ice storm, there was NO heat. 11 days without power and the house gets cold, so I purchased a generator to warm the house and keep the pipes from freezing. I've used it now for 3 winters in a row during emergency outages. I highly recommend one.

"Additional monthly expenses include $150 per month for internet, hd cable and phone plus property taxes" BigO

Property taxes will get you. I was paying nearly $10K per year in Derry (1 acre) and purchased the same style home up north where property taxes are $4K annually. I put aside $400 per month to cover taxes, because they tend to go UP EVERY YEAR.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:10 PM

14,965 posts, read 19,682,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post

Property taxes will get you. I was paying nearly $10K per year in Derry (1 acre) and purchased the same style home up north where property taxes are $4K annually. I put aside $400 per month to cover taxes, because they tend to go UP EVERY YEAR.
I looked at the equalized tax rate history for most towns in NH over the past 10 years. The only town that has a substantially lower rate now compared to 10 years ago is Moultonboro.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:17 PM

1,867 posts, read 3,851,113 times
Thank you. Please keep the responses coming. We wold love to hear from others from New Hampshire. The areas we are considering would be suburbs of Manchester,Concord and possibly Conway.

Thanks!

Happy Fathers Day! And to all a safe and great weekend!!

Old 06-19-2010, 07:58 PM

21 posts, read 43,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post

Oil is currently $2.49 per gallon, and one tank fill will last a year. but I heat with a wood pellet stove in winter. When I was heating totally with oil, I averaged 4 tanks per year. At 200 gallons you can do the math
how warm do you keep your house?

in nevada we have natural gas for heat and it ran us about 90 a month, and we also have gas stove and gas dryer. we kept house around 65 i think.

so realistically, do you think 1 tank can last an entire winter?

Old 06-19-2010, 08:25 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,585,359 times
natural gas isn't that common in NH. Some homes have propane, but oil heat (often supplemented with a wood/pellet stove) and elec appliances are more common.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:58 AM

2,990 posts, read 4,853,642 times
when heating solely with oil - the thermostat was kept at 64 degrees, 60 at night. I wore layers all the time and used afghans when sitting still watching TV, etc.

It was never warm.

Now that I've switched to wood pellets, the house temp is 70+ degrees and is comfortable.

I don't know enough about gas, but I seriously doubt one tank will last a winter. LOL My FIL uses gas and complains because it cost more than oil and he definitely has more than 2 fills per winter.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:42 AM

32,911 posts, read 26,410,850 times
New Hampshire has very high electric rates at around $0.16 a killowatt-hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire