Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 11:36 PM

155 posts, read 305,046 times

Advertisements

Sorry, gang, but when I read the article that Dave posted, all I could think about when they complained about funding problems were the following two related articles:

The National Parks: The Super-Rich's Greatest Idea by Gary North
Libertarian Vacationers Demand Their Subsidies by Gary North
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 07:10 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Yeah the boat cops seem pretty silly too. I gave up driving motor boats over it. Sold it all, and I was a kid clamming as a wee lad out in boats my father trusted me to take alone pre 10 years old even.

I refuse to pay or display a coast guard sticker on my sailing canoe, so i go where no power boats can go. There is just no way I am going to put plastic stickers on a 1917 wooden canoe, with a wooden mast, and wooden steering wheel.

I sold a French and Indian War gun boat over the same reason. A sailing row boat with a friggin cannon mounted in the bow.

The Govt is way out of hand as I see things.

The NF has a parking permit FEE and for it all I see is more trash.

If dui is working so well, why then do I see beer containers all over the road side? Used to be legal to drive and have a beer between your knees here, you just better not be drunk. There was less trash then.

Most people have no idea how 'To Go' in the woods either. It don't take that much work to create a small pit where bacteria will eat the mess. But Oh no, people just tuck in behind a tree if you get it that lucky, and leave a mess on the ground. Half the time that mess is dead center on a trail.

One water source after another is ruined for this very reason. Just nasty.

I gotta run, but I want to read those 2 links.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:20 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lreznick View Post
Sorry, gang, but when I read the article that Dave posted, all I could think about when they complained about funding problems were the following two related articles:

The National Parks: The Super-Rich's Greatest Idea by Gary North
Libertarian Vacationers Demand Their Subsidies by Gary North

I believe the guy that wrote those articles is quite a wack-job - a consipiracy-theory kind of guy.....

Old 07-13-2010, 05:07 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,451,719 times
I will post a picture of Silver Lake State Park in Hollis one of these summer weekends. It is a filthy scummy place, especially when crowded and littered on summer weekends although the police and park personnel are kept busy.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:51 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,034,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa g View Post
I will post a picture of Silver Lake State Park in Hollis one of these summer weekends. It is a filthy scummy place, especially when crowded and littered on summer weekends although the police and park personnel are kept busy.
Even in the 70s Silver Lake didn't have a good rep among locals. It was always considered to be filthy. I read somewhere that they had cleaned it up a bit decades later, but it seems to have gone back downhill again.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
I believe the guy that wrote those articles is quite a wack-job - a consipiracy-theory kind of guy.....
Oh, Steve. I'm surprised you went ad hominem on this. While the articles don't give references or examples, such are easy to find. For example:

National Park Service History: Philanthropy and the National Parks
Mona Charen
The Rich History of Webster Place | Webster Place (http://www.websterplace.org/rich-history-webster-place - broken link)
LANDOWNERS BEWARE - THE GOVERNMENT'S FOUND A NEW WAY TO CONTROL YOUR LAND
Park Receives Donation From Trust For Public Lands (NPS Digest)
Cancer Survivors Park donated by Richard & Annette Bloch Foundation | Port of San Diego

But, that wasn't really the point. This is:

If You Love Nature, Desocialize It - Manuel Lora - Mises Daily

It's a case of "What is seen & what is not seen" meets "Tragedy of the commons." That trick never works.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:54 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Londonderry has a trash pick up service and a special pay per throw for stuff that won't fit into a garbage can. Most of the latter stuff is recycled, metal and electronics, so why do they charge? I am just glad I don't have to make a "dump run" every Saturday. The line would be two miles long.

BTW - I think the way NH funds the State Park system is simply appalling. The system brings in a lot of visitors but will soon drive them away because of locked gates and unlimited trash. I and a few friends wanted to drive up to the top of Miller park one day. The clerk at the gate asked for $30. We just said we don’t want to drive up for that much. The park is priced out of site. Haven’t they done a price/usage study so they can maximize revenue? Or set prices like $10 per car instead of $5 per person.

NH State parks are just another example of the penny wise pound foolish nature of New Hampshire’s skinflint government. Remember the cheapskates always spend more.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:07 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lreznick View Post
Oh, Steve. I'm surprised you went ad hominem on this. While the articles don't give references or examples, such are easy to find. For example:

National Park Service History: Philanthropy and the National Parks
Mona Charen
The Rich History of Webster Place | Webster Place (http://www.websterplace.org/rich-history-webster-place - broken link)
LANDOWNERS BEWARE - THE GOVERNMENT'S FOUND A NEW WAY TO CONTROL YOUR LAND
Park Receives Donation From Trust For Public Lands (NPS Digest)
Cancer Survivors Park donated by Richard & Annette Bloch Foundation | Port of San Diego

But, that wasn't really the point. This is:

If You Love Nature, Desocialize It - Manuel Lora - Mises Daily

It's a case of "What is seen & what is not seen" meets "Tragedy of the commons." That trick never works.
OK, so a lot of people donated land to preserve it after they were gone. Call me simple folk, but I still don't see or believe the government conspiracy. I'm totally OK with someone donating their land to a trust for a cancer survivors park if that's what they want to do. One thing I will say, however, from reading the linked articles is that I do not believe in eminent domain, and I will defend my land to the death Charlton Heston-style if any govt tries to take it from me.

The best thing I've learned from researching and reading the articles was the meaning of "ad hominem". I had to look it up - now I know. I have no knowledge of the author to call him wacko other than the article he wrote that I thought was wacko. I judged the wacko-ness based on the article, not the person. Is that ad hominem?

I guess I should have said "that article appears to be wacko", not "I believe the guy who wrote those articles is quite a wack-job - a conspiracy theory kind of guy". My apologies, but I still believe the whole spin-off of this thread on state parks is wacko

Old 07-14-2010, 11:20 PM

Calling the other fellow names or otherwise attacking the person rather than the arguments is an argument ad hominem. My expectation of your intelligence is reinforced by your willingness to read -- and reread -- and to look it up.

Those who donate land to the government for any ostensible reason have many purposes, the least of which is charitable. Selflessness is a fantasy. Government acquisition & ownership of land becomes a mismanagement at the expense of taxpayers. As such it is a fundamental violation of property rights -- as is eminent domain, a major Constitutional mistake -- and should be repudiated whenever it happens.

Also, you might want to look into "What is seen..." (Bastiat) and "Tragedy of the Commons" (Hardin). They're libertarian foundation principles.

As for spinning off this thread, the very point originally made is a demonstration of the folly of government ownership and management of land. It is an elaboration of the original point of this thread and explains the problem. Lora's article summarizes the point and the problem.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:09 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
The folly of government managment of land, including Parks, is created when the populus have been brainwashed into thinking the management is free and they do not have to pay any taxes to support the places. Parks are common ground and common ground requires common support.

I can only imagine what private ownership would do to a place like Acadia National Park. There would be obnoxious signs and noisy rides all over instead of the peace on Cadillac Mountian at sunrise on a winter day. Private ownership has its place like a steel mill or mine but the parks are not suitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire