U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-10-2010, 07:57 PM

15,193 posts, read 20,714,966 times
Post NH Drought, Merrimack Valley

I just talked to my parents today, and they said that all the rain missed them again for the most part. The picture I was sent shows lots of brown grass. It would appear a flash drought has developed in parts of the Merrimack Valley. Also, temperatures have been above average every single month so far this year as well- which has not helped any.
How dry is it where you are in the state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 06:41 AM

19,115 posts, read 10,974,172 times
Pretty dang dry in Tamworth. The little brook just below this place goes under ground in places, and flow is reduced to a trickel. Little wild brookies are stranded in a pool, and are easy pickin's for other wild life. These are too small for fishing them for the pan, apx 3 inch.

We did get a light drizzel, but it didn't amount to squat. The garden could use a good natural rain.

There are very few bee's of any kind in the garden as well. I am a bit worried about that, and what I see as deformed strawberries I think are suffering for lack of proper pollination.

I created 4 new beds, to total 6 beds in all. The original beds are very over crowded, but the 4 new beds are not. The problem is all 6 beds are making very odd looking berries. I can only assume it isn't the soil and the problem is no pollination.

Other plants remain to be seen. Fall planted lettuces are doing well, taters are, or i will say appear to be, but the squash, punkin's and corn types Ihave are too early to tell.

I am a biker and want rain.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:13 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,100,347 times
my peaches are dying on the trees - not enough water.

My lawns are brown and crispy. It rained heavy yesterday, and flowers picked up a little, but we still need rain. Some towns have water bans in effect. The rivers are very low.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:46 PM

221 posts, read 238,344 times
Haven't seen Harvey lake in northwood this low in the few years I have had property on it.
Dam in Pittsfield has but a trickle going over it.
Dam in Barnstead Parade has its 'holdback?" boards exposed.
Flow rate for suncook river (state gauge in Chichester) data on the internet - state of NH - near lowest reading in something like 42 years....

Damn hot, too!

Old 07-12-2010, 04:41 AM

552 posts, read 736,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I just talked to my parents today, and they said that all the rain missed them again for the most part. The picture I was sent shows lots of brown grass. It would appear a flash drought has developed in parts of the Merrimack Valley. Also, temperatures have been above average every single month so far this year as well- which has not helped any.
How dry is it where you are in the state?
Here in Bedford, everything is very dry. Only a few showers Saturday did not help the drought situation. Some areas further south did get several inches of rain and flash flooding, however north of the MA/NH border did not recieve much. Town of Merrimack has a water ban in effect.

Hopefully some rains Tues/Wed can help the situation.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:57 AM

19,115 posts, read 10,974,172 times
Saturdays rain was 1/4 inch, I am not sure yet about the little we got yesterday, not much i am sure. Maybe another 1/4 inch if that. In Tamworth anyway.

I got deer tracks in my garden though. Not so sure I like that.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:18 PM

15,193 posts, read 20,714,966 times
It seems like the summer temperatures this year are about 10F warmer than last sumer. Unbelievable... Yesterday when the storms moved through, many areas did not get much rainfall again according to the NWS observations. Parts of Merrimack County have gotten completely bypassed and have seen very little rainfall in two months. Temperatures have been MUCH above average. Dry soils heat up much faster than moist soils. Soil moisture is one aspect that is not calculated well by the computer models either.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:58 PM

71 posts, read 102,236 times
Concord seems to have a bubble around it, all the storms start coming east and then either dissipate right before getting us or go much further south.
Grass out back is brown, my bee balm was pretty for a couple of days, now all dried out. What a difference a year makes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire