Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 08:55 PM
JMX

313 posts, read 1,175,258 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I think renting first is a good idea. I intend to do the same thing when I make the move (in a few months hopefully!)

I forgot to mention this site that is also an invaluable tool for people to figure out what area of NH they might want to consider.
NH Community Profiles (http://www.nhes.state.nh.us/elmi/communpro.htm - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 10:50 PM

2 posts, read 7,515 times
Hello,
Here is my 'two cents". I grew up outside of Albany and now am living in southwestern NH. In a minute I would choose NH, but there are clear issues to consider. My hsb. and I love NH, primairly for the lower housing costs, but quality of life is key. We hike, farm, raise animals and altenative-school our children in this very indep[endent-minded state. Most people we know really know how to take care of themselves, are are very sophisiticated in terms of politics, etc. So many are transplants from from more urban areas that it is amazing. The editorials in the local paper are informed and well-reasoned. Southern NH is a stones throw to Boston or more urban NH, or even NYC, but the rural beauty remains. I can't say enough about it.
The reality check is that jobs are a bit more difficult (DH is a teacher, but as cost of living is lower this has evened out, and MA, where there is more $$$ for education, is accesible). People are independent, fiercly so, proud, intelligent, suspicious of newcomers, but generous to a fault once you are known. Did I mention that it's beautiful here??? You will love southern NH once you really look. Try Dublin, Temple, Keene etc. Best wishes!

Old 08-08-2007, 12:22 PM

417 posts, read 1,891,494 times
Default health insurance

something to be aware of in the NY v. NH debate.....

NY (as well as VT, NJ, MA and I believe ME) has what is called Community Rating Laws in regards to health insurance, which states an insurance company "has to give you insurance, cannot exclude pre-existing conditions, and has to charge you exactly the same as what they charge any other person living in the same area of the state, regardless of your health."

When I was considering a move a couple years ago the above 5 states were the only ones with such laws. This makes health insurance a bit more expensive in these states, but basically you are garuanteed access to health insurance. It was one reason I decided to stay in NY.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:11 PM

15 posts, read 32,265 times
Hi Homeward Bound

I'm new to this website so this is very exciting to find all these people who love New Hampshire as much as I do.

I have lived in the state for 35 years, transplanted from the Chicago area. My husband was a teacher/coach in Nashua for 25 years and we raised our family here.

Because the state is population is growing the availability of teaching jobs is usually pretty good. The cities, of course, pay more than the smaller towns, and southern New Hampshire generally will pay more than the rest of the state. Quoting salaries is tough because of that and because I do not know the level of experience either of you have. The state has been struggling with how to make the smaller, rural towns in the northern and western part of the state, where the tax base is minimal, equal in education to the larger towns and cities with larger tax bases.

Housing is affordable in all parts of the state. Although the southern part has grown more and you will find large areas of strip malls, etc. there are still great, beautiful open spaces. Old Victorians are available and, of course, the price depends on the condition and location like it would anywhere. I am a realtor and know that these get snapped up pretty quickly.

NNREN does have limited access unless you are a realtor. You can also search on Realtor.com. Just plug in the zip code you are looking for and you will find most of the MLS listings.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:08 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Actually I find Northern New England Real Estate Network - Official Website of the Northern New England MLS to be the best site for public use in NH housing. Being our MLS database, it is pretty much up-to-the-minute with updates for new listngs, those under contract, etc, whereas realtor.com can take quite some time before being updated. Plus REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale doesn't show all listings equally (realtors pay extra to have extra pictures, virtual tours, comments, scrolling banners, etc on realtor.com) whereas NNEREN shows the MLS as it is with pictures, comments, etc.

Welcome to the forum Kathleen I'm in Londonderry (and get lost every time I go to Nashua

Old 08-08-2007, 07:27 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,178,891 times
Hi Homeward bound-I have just decided myself to journey back to NH my home after 14 years out west. I can't wait, and I can just go visit the seacoast and walk the beach if I need elbow room, or climb some mountain trails.

Although all of these wonderful and helpful people can help you a lot better with advice than I, I wanted to post a link that made me smile.

This is a couple who buys colonial and victorians in NH, and remodels them with updated features, while keeping the historic appeal. They love what they do, and they post their success stories of sales and show an old barn in its progress. I hope you enjoy the site if nothing more than seeing someone live their dreams buy capturing what you're looking for.

http://antiquehomesofnewengland.com/

I wish you every piece of luck and happiness wherever you may call home
Kat

Old 08-08-2007, 08:24 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Thank you for posting that great link Kat. Did you see the "before and after" page? I will for sure keep this couple in mind for those clients that are truly looking for something special. They take a special pride in their work that is not commonly seen with many builders and developers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katlakat View Post

This is a couple who buys colonial and victorians in NH, and remodels them with updated features, while keeping the historic appeal. They love what they do, and they post their success stories of sales and show an old barn in its progress. I hope you enjoy the site if nothing more than seeing someone live their dreams buy capturing what you're looking for.

http://antiquehomesofnewengland.com/

I wish you every piece of luck and happiness wherever you may call home
Kat

Old 08-09-2007, 01:23 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,178,891 times
I love that site Val. If you notice, she states on her website that most of the remodeled houses are already rented-however, just today I found all three of her colonials on Craigslist available as of August 6th.

I will be contacting her in a week to get more information about her creative financing and pet allowance.

I loved the before and after shots. You know they take pride in their hard work and enjoy sharing it with future buyers.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:48 PM

254 posts, read 1,142,592 times
Default What an interesting thread

I cant believe somone is looking for comparrisons between NY & NH.
first, then entire Northeast is the best "region" in the country. Then among the Northeast states, there are 2 that stand out as phenominal. They are...... ready for this one..... New York and New Hampshire. (my opinion only folks) (aparantly on the short list for others too). I do have to say that Maine is "almost" a tie with New Hampshire. But hey, live in NH and you could take a jog over the boarder and avail yourself of the wonders of that state as well.
I currently live in NY and there is alot to like about this state. No.. alot to LOVE. The elbow room someone refered to is really because it is so much bigger than NH but there is most definatly elbow room in NH. I like the people and the way of life that NH has been known for and by the way dear NH folks, please work to keep things that way. But NY and the diversity of landscapes and its small towns? Wow. This is really a tough decision.

Bottom line? if you had to end up in either of the two.. well... it could be worse. you could end up in 47 or 48 other states that are worse. (Maine being the wild card). No offense all the rest of you but .... thats just the way it IS. :-) :-) :-)

Old 11-25-2007, 05:05 PM

195 posts, read 1,078,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagenyjoe View Post
I cant believe somone is looking for comparrisons between NY & NH.
first, then entire Northeast is the best "region" in the country. Then among the Northeast states, there are 2 that stand out as phenominal. They are...... ready for this one..... New York and New Hampshire. (my opinion only folks) (aparantly on the short list for others too). I do have to say that Maine is "almost" a tie with New Hampshire. But hey, live in NH and you could take a jog over the boarder and avail yourself of the wonders of that state as well.
I currently live in NY and there is alot to like about this state. No.. alot to LOVE. The elbow room someone refered to is really because it is so much bigger than NH but there is most definatly elbow room in NH. I like the people and the way of life that NH has been known for and by the way dear NH folks, please work to keep things that way. But NY and the diversity of landscapes and its small towns? Wow. This is really a tough decision.

Bottom line? if you had to end up in either of the two.. well... it could be worse. you could end up in 47 or 48 other states that are worse. (Maine being the wild card). No offense all the rest of you but .... thats just the way it IS. :-) :-) :-)
Glad you love both states.. I do too.. from pictures and forums like this one. You are lucky to have experienced them. All I have ever known is the midwest.. corn fields forever and ever. Although it isn't awful..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire