U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-28-2007, 05:19 PM

8 posts, read 53,877 times

Advertisements

I currently live in southern NH (Raymond) and am considering moving to the White Mountains to be closer to mountains. I am an avid hiker and can think of nothing better to do with my retirement than spend them hiking in the Whites. I just don't want to spend so much time driving to the trails.

So what town would suit me to move to? Obviously I want to be close to trails which are spread around. I'd like someplace quiet away from traffic and not have a neighbor on top of me. A few acres at least, preferably tucked away in the woods. Low crime and low poverty. I have been spoiled by some of the comforts of modern living that I would not want to give up such as cable TV (or FiOS) and high speed internet access (Broadband, DSL, FiOS). I'd also like to be able to get to a supermarket without driving too far.

I don't care about schools (no kids). I don't care about shopping (other than food and a decent hardware store). I don't care about job market (retired, kind of).

From just a physical location Conway seems a good choice with easy access to the Kanc, Crawford and Pinkham Notch, and supermarket. However it seems a bit too congested and heavily trafficked for me. Though if I looked I probably could find someplace secluded enough for me.

It seems there are two general areas to look at. East (Conway, Glen, Bartlett, Jackson, Gorham) and West (Campton, Lincoln, Woodstock, Littleton, Bethlehem, Twin Mountain). Anyone familiar enough with these towns, or outlying areas, to suggest if they seem to meet my wants or not?

I'd ideally like to rent a place to try out the town and determine if it is really where I want to stay or not. However with two dogs finding a rental would be difficult. So I may have to bite the bullet and buy a place. I'd also consider just buying some land and building my own place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 12:26 AM

15,407 posts, read 21,504,022 times
I would definitely had Lancaster to your list of towns. It is one of the best small towns in Coos County, and has a fairly low population at around 3500. The White Mountain National Forest is right nearby to the east of town and the average housing prices are lower. The town has a DSL office and food store. The downtown area is great as well. Littleton is a short drive away and has more in the way of big box stores such as Wal Mart and Home Depot.
Littleton also has a very interesting downtown with a great mixture of locally owned businesses.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:18 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,471,850 times
Lancaster is also close to Berlin with several box stores as well. And St. J. VT with all that it has to offer. Living here myself with kids I would Definitely recommend it.

Old 06-30-2007, 03:53 PM

2,489 posts, read 5,500,034 times
Hiker -We chose Littleton when we moved and love it here. Bethlehem is also nice, but does not have the same "feel" to us - we have our cable TV/internet and phone through Time-Warner and no problems with it. The biggest "downside" is the one grocery store, but plans for a co-op seem to be progressing, which may give the grocer store some competition. We have hardware stores as well <g>......We even have hiking trails in our backyard.

When we first moved, we rented and we found the only way to rent with our dog, a Cathoula, was to rent a house because of her size. I don't how large your dogs are, but wherever you decide to look, you might want to look for a house rental rather than an apartment or duplex. We couldn't find any apartments or duplex owners willing to rent to us with just our one dog....Of course if you have smaller dogs, that might make a difference.

When we rented we were about 5 miles out of town and there was a lot of "open area" - the house was very close to the road on 135, or North Littleton Road and was NOT a quite road by any means - a lot of trucks, motorcycles, etc. always roaring through. It's actually quieter where we are now but not as secluded as what you are looking for.

We are close to other areas, such as Bethlehem and Lancaster (although haven't made it to Lancaster yet, but we will eventually). We are still exploring the areas around us.......A lot of the realtor sites have land available and a lot of them also have rentals that cover a broad area - you could check websites to see "what's out there" or even call a realtor to find out. The way we found the house for rent was to go through a realtor, but you can also find some in the papers periodically, in the classifieds sections. At the time we were looking no houses were advertised for rent, just apartments.

Old 07-01-2007, 04:28 PM

8 posts, read 53,877 times
I have two dogs and one of them is big (117 lbs and on a diet). I was thinking of renting a house rather than an apartment, but still renting with dogs seem difficult. Good to know you found one though.

Anyone have any comments about the east side (Conway to Gorham)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire